Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

how long for cutter

How long has it taken for people to get their cutter kits in, I ordered mine over a week ago and have heard nothing from them. I have my order number and reciept that was printed from their site but thats it. Im excited to go this thing built!

Light freak
    I know the feeling. Their communication is very poor once they have received your order. They have no way to log on to their website and check status and they are not very responsive to email. Check this thread for an idea of what to expect.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=170835

I spelled Knievel wrong
    I placed an order from them over a month ago and received an e-mail that it "shipped" on Nov. 19, but it has not arrived yet. Another member of these forums who is converting three of his Turbocats with my machined conversion kits has also not received his parts, and he placed his order earlier than I did. By now I assume that neither of us are going to get our parts. I actually placed another order from Cutter yesterday, but this time I paid around $100 extra for UPS Global Express. Hopefully I'll have better luck with a reputable shipping company that has a parcel tracking system.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I would never have ordered anything from Cutter to begin with. The pricing is way out of line. I bought a flashlight at WallyMart about a month ago and paid $18. I saw the exact same thing on Cutter's site for $48.

Those boards can be aquired cheaper from Taskled. The lenses are only $8.25 from Future Electronics, and the LED's can be bought from a number of different sources. Even with shipping from three different places it doesn't add up to the price of the kit from Cutter. And then your going to pay out the ass to have it shipped.

Paying $100 for express service? You don't want to know what I think about that.

Light freak
    I actually placed another order from Cutter yesterday, but this time I paid around $100 extra for UPS Global Express.
    OMG

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mofoki
    I would never have ordered anything from Cutter to begin with. The pricing is way out of line. I bought a flashlight at WallyMart about a month ago and paid $18. I saw the exact same thing on Cutter's site for $48.

Those boards can be aquired cheaper from Taskled. The lenses are only $8.25 from Future Electronics, and the LED's can be bought from a number of different sources. Even with shipping from three different places it doesn't add up to the price of the kit from Cutter. And then your going to pay out the ass to have it shipped.

Paying $100 for express service? You don't want to know what I think about that.
    I dont thing walmart lights have R2 LEDs in them and I am willing to pay for a complete kit, I am putting this in a nightrider housing and will have a very profesional product when Im done.

I spelled Knievel wrong
    In addition to manufacturing kits to convert Turbocats to LED, I hand-make and sell one-off machined lights. I order my LEDs and optics in quantity, so $100 extra doesn't add that much per light. I have a queue of customers waiting for lights, so it is worth it to me to ensure I receive my order. The LEDs are available elsewhere, but I prefer to have the LEDs mounted on a MCPCB so that they will be upgradeable and replaceable if necessary. If you find another authorized Cree distributor that has the MR-11 sized MCPCB, I'd love to know.

- 4 and 14 deg. lenses that are designed for Crees are only $6.06 from Cutter.

- I do buy the boards from directly from Taskled.

- Placing bare emmiters on a heatsink by hand is very slow and tedious. Plus I'd have to machine pockets for each emmiter to ensure correct LED-optic alignment. For me, the hour or so saved by having the LEDs mounted on the MCPCB more than makes up for the difference in cost.

As difficult as the shipping situation is, Cutter is an authorized Cree distributor and when you order a Q5 WH bin, you know that you will get the real deal. That is not the case with KD or DX. The only Cree distributor in the US is LED Lighting Supply and don't have the right size MCPCB or high bin Crees available in small quantities.

By the way, nice work on the Turbocat mofoki! I guess you don't need those bezels anymore...

Steve Ziegler
    Composite Arts Inc.
    www.ledcat.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    jeepmtnbiker, I hope you aren't calling me a liar. It is the exact same light. http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/selux2aa3w-b.shtml
    http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut736

Light freak
    when you order a Q5 WH bin, you know that you will get the real deal
    Not necessarily. I placed an order for what was listed as R2 WG bin, got a order confirmation showing R2 WG bin, and found out thru the forum linked above that I am getting R2 WH bin. May work out in my favor, I don't know until I see what the actual color looks like fired up. WeLight stated in the forum that the lastest orders are shipping, but I have yet to receive an actual shipping confirmation email.

You would think that Cutter being an authorized distributor (are they the only one available?) would have the means to provide current and accurate information to their customers on stock status and shipping status that are paying premiums for these products. It is very frustrating that they are the only option available for new releases.

Light freak
    There is obviuosly alot of frustration in regards to Cutter. We need to make sure to direct that frustration in the proper direction. jeepmtnbiker was simply trying to say that his situation is dealing with R2's.

Light freak
    I have a feeling this is going to be a very popular thread today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I think StevelKnivel is trying to get off on a business venture, at least that's what it sounds like, and just trying to limit assembly time and labor. I don't blame you for that but quality has to go into a product too. I've been taking my time and trying different things to find the best solutions so I don't end up getting a bad reputation or losing any friends. I built some lights for friends using halogen MR-11 bulbs in the past but I had some troubles when I got into overvolting the bulbs. It seems that the battery packs I spec'd for the sets from Batteryspace didn't quite meet the application, even after communicating with Batteryspaces tech guy about what I wanted them for. The people who had problems got pretty mad about having to replace bulbs 3 or 4 times or more in a season. At $20 a bulb I'd be mad too. My suggestion is to take your time and research every vendor and you might even have to have someone make an OEM part specificly for your design. Remember, there is no cheap easy way to get rich.

Light freak
    mofoki - Please enlighten us (YukYuk). Who else has R2's available?

widebody
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepmtnbiker
    How long has it taken for people to get their cutter kits in, I ordered mine over a week ago and have heard nothing from them. I have my order number and reciept that was printed from their site but thats it. Im excited to go this thing built!
    Well I have been waiting since Nov, 13th for some R2 kits. Have sent numerous emails all of which state my kits were shipped Nov 16th. They (Mark and Ben) have made it my fault for not choosing a different shipper when none was offered on their site nor was I asked through the initial emails. I did not ask for USPS/UPS/DHL as Ben stated that the average time to the U.S. was 6-8 days with the shipping option I choose from their site!!
    I have not had any comments from Cutter as to how to handle "lost" shipments or if they will resend by a "reputable shipper" I think I am out the 300+ dollars as Cutter seems like they will not stand behind their business practice.
    Any other sources for complete R2 kits?
    Bottom line is I would not suggest using Cutter. To think that I was going to order their light housings too at 100.00 each.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Appearently Cutter doesn't have them either. I think I read in the Candle Power Forums that they are not even out there for us to get our dick-beaters on yet. And they are not all that great either. You won't even be able to tell the difference with the human eye between R2 and Q5. And is it really worth all the trouble just so you can ride down a trial at night. Given the application, I don't think so.

I spelled Knievel wrong
    mofoki,
    If you think that I'm looking to get rich quick by building nice bike lights, you are sorely mistaken. I am an engineer and machinist who has access to CNC equipment, and I enjoy making things that work well. The $50 I charge for the two machined pieces to convert T-cats is enough to cover my machine time, tooling, and material costs. That's it. I am in no way recouping the time I put in designing or testing the conversion. If I wanted to make a killing I never would have posted pictures of the internals of my conversion kit. I am flattered that you decided to copy my design for a conical heatsink in your Turbocat.

Unlike your experience building lights for people, I have had zero (0) failures on the multiple conversions I've done. The hand made complete lights I've been making have been commissioned by my friends and riding buddies. If you knew how much lathe/mill/finishing time goes into the lights I'm making you would retract your statement about quality. If I was concerned about cost rather than quality I would just order my parts from the cheapest place possible and do all my machine work on a drill press.

Steve Ziegler
    Composite Arts Inc.
    www.ledcat.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm not trying to be offensive here.Geeeeez! Calm down Gents. I don't think I said anything out of line, well maybe the getting rich part may have sounded mean spirited, but it wasn't intended that way. And I didn't copy any of your designs. I have been focused on modding those TurboCat pods for some time now. I just had to wait for the parts to come in. I still haven't gotten the driver boards that actually fit down inside the pods from China that I ordered allmost two months ago. I have space in there for em. It looks like I'll be waiting for some time more to come before I can complete em the way I want em. As far as the quality topic, I'm sure you are doing your best to build your sets the best you can. I don't think Cutter is interested in quality for obvious reasons. I've seen some of the boards the LED's are mounted to and appearently they are of poor quality to the point where they are very hard to get solder to even stick to em. That's just my observations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    jeepmtnbiker, I hope you aren't calling me a liar. It is the exact same light. http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/selux2aa3w-b.shtml
    http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut736
    No it isnt the same light

Cheers
    weLight

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Delays

Guys
    I can understand your frustration, we are also frustrated. The R2 are in very limited release and we only just recieved our 2nd 250 pcs, we also have been out of stock of the optics on occasions due the popularity of the kits. The newly designed optic is almost complete and I will have 50 of the narrow and medium beam here on Monday, if ok we will then receive 5000 pcs so stock wont be a problem, we are also expecting the new MAXflex2 from Taskled late next week.

Pricing. Are we cheaper than alternatives, probably not but if you buy all the bits from us instead of buying each from suppliers and paying postage from each supplier, we are not badly priced. We are a franchised Cree distributor and we do supply direct from Cree the very best bins at assured flux and tint values, not sure you can say that about all suppliers however that may or may not be worth something to you

We hope to clear all backorders prior to Xmas so please email me at mark.riley@cutter.com.au if your concerned about you particular order

Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yea. I'm suppose to believe u r a representative from Cutter. If you are there you go Gents, an admission to why you haven't gotten your shipments yet. Get a life my friend. Yes they are the same flashlights. If you want to prove it to me send me one so I can run the tests. I'll pay for it if I'm wrong.

Not dead yet, just playin
    My 2c:

1c: I've ordered twice from Cutter; two MR11 kits. Both kits arrived exactly 10 days after I placed the order. Not bad considering the shipping distance (AUS to US).

2c: The first kit I ordered was with Q5 leds and the second kit was with R2s. Both PCBs are top-notch quality, The R2 PCB is actually a little thicker than the Q5 one. I've had no problems with either PCB.

As soon as the new MR11 optics are available I'll be ordering some of them as well.

Cutter is a good outfit. The fact that Mark reads and posts to this forum shows that he values what his customers have to say.

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by WeLight
    Guys
    I can understand your frustration, we are also frustrated. The R2 are in very limited release and we only just recieved our 2nd 250 pcs, we also have been out of stock of the optics on occasions due the popularity of the kits. The newly designed optic is almost complete and I will have 50 of the narrow and medium beam here on Monday, if ok we will then receive 5000 pcs so stock wont be a problem, we are also expecting the new MAXflex2 from Taskled late next week.

Pricing. Are we cheaper than alternatives, probably not but if you buy all the bits from us instead of buying each from suppliers and paying postage from each supplier, we are not badly priced. We are a franchised Cree distributor and we do supply direct from Cree the very best bins at assured flux and tint values, not sure you can say that about all suppliers however that may or may not be worth something to you

We hope to clear all backorders prior to Xmas so please email me at mark.riley@cutter.com.au if your concerned about you particular order

Cheers
    WeLight
    Mark,

as an industry member/manufacturer, you are required to make it clear in your signature, according to the posting guidelines, please do so.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yea. I'm suppose to believe u r a representative from Cutter. If you are there you go Gents, an admission to why you haven't gotten your shipments yet. Get a life my friend. Yes they are the same flashlights. If you want to prove it to me send me one so I can run the tests. I'll pay for it if I'm wrong.
    Your the dude accusing people of accusing you of being a liar, since I dont know you well enough to know whether you are or not I do know that kind of attitude means we wont be swapping spit any time soon. I think a moderator should explain to you how to avoid having the door slam on your behind on the way out.... the torch you refer to is a Rayovac torch, not the Terralux torch we sell, it doesnt even look the same.

Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Mark,

as an industry member/manufacturer, you are required to make it clear in your signature, according to the posting guidelines, please do so.

Thanks in advance

My apologies, I have added a signature
    Cheers
    WeLight

Cutter Electronics Pty Ltd www.cutter.com.au

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by WeLight
    My apologies, I have added a signature
    No problem!

Thank you!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast