mtbr member
    Jun 2006

How to attach batteries to bike?

For the light I made, I used what I had available for power. A 6-cell Nimh pack from a rc car. The trouble I'm having is how to attach it to my bike.

So far I have stretched an old tube over the pack so it doesn't slide around and used a couple non-slip velcro straps to hold it under the top tube.

That's about the best solution I have right now and I don't know if it will still move around on the trail.

I've thought about some sort of pouch or case to put it in, but that size seems pretty tough to find.

Any other ideas besides getting a different battery setup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Pouch or mini-bag like camera bag, IMO.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I've had lipo packs taped to the handlebar stem, used small camera packs and long Velcro straps for the same position also. Made a pack that secures to the frame via the water bottle mounting screws and lastly encased the entire pack in some heavy duty heat-shrink with a Velcro strap between the pack and heatshrink so it cannot become loose.

mtbr member
    6 cell NiMh RC pack in a water bottle works great for my light. I used RC tire foams (foam donuts) around the batt. It doesn't move around at all in there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to attach batteries to bike?-edit-1010512.jpg  

How to attach batteries to bike?-edit-1010513.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What format 6 pack is it? 3 x 2 flat? 6 on end?

Sub-C, C, D, AA?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Standard 3x2 flat sub-C Stick pack

@ScottParsley - I like that idea. I'll try that out tonight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Water bottle is a good carrier for that shape pack ..... but uses up a bottle cage.

Here's another way ....... room for 2 packs or, in my case, a pack like yours plus an ultra cheap back-up pack consisting of a six AA holder and 6 Eneloops.

Draper cheapo tool pack ...... some of the tools are useable too .... as a bonus!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Twofish Lockblock or Bikeblock work great for 6-cell NiMH Sub-C "shotgun" packs. You may need two of them to fully support the battery.