mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Housing thickness??

Does a thicker aluminum dissipate heat beater than thinner? Seems like it would help some but not a lot. Thanks!! Jim

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I have never done any tests but as a rule when I make lights I have 5mm thick alloy where the led sits and then on the heatsink fins part of the housing I start with 2.5-3mm tapering down to 1-1.5mm the further I get away from the led.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    On my builds this varies a lot. I try to get .75mm thick on the area around the reflectors. My last couple designs have had fins right behind the LED mounting surface. I make those with 1.5mm thick at the bottom of the fins. I try to not get anyplaces thicker than 3mm except where mounting screws go.

mtbr member
    Thickness does matter. When I built my 3 XML I built it in Solidworks for thermal efficiency first, l

mtbr member
    Thickness does matter. When I built my 3 XML I built it in Solidworks for thermal efficiency first, looks second.
    A metal thickness behind the LEDs was optimal at 4.5mm. Any less and the heat built up close to the LEDs and any more and it tended to be held. Not to mention an increase in weight.
    I think it all depends on what your fins are like.
    But we all know Round Bottom Finns are the best!

mtbr member
    Any thoughts on how wide to make fins and or how wide of a groove between fins???

(sorry for highjacking thread!)

Don
    09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by beecrazy View Post
    Any thoughts on how wide to make fins and or how wide of a groove between fins???
    I make most all my fins 1.5mm thick and the slot between them 2mm wide. That's partly because of the tools I have but it also seems to work well.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I'm much the same as Vancbiker with 1.5mm thick fins x 2-3mm gap between them for most of the high powered lights. I using a lathe I will often sharpen the parting blade tip so the bottom of the groove is round

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I don't think the thickness affects it that much...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdy View Post
    Does a thicker aluminum dissipate heat beater than thinner? Seems like it would help some but not a lot. Thanks!! Jim
    My non-expert opinion: Housing surface area matters much more than the wall thickness. The heat has to transfer to the surrounding air eventually unless the housing is so massive that you can store significant amounts of heat.

The part of the housing that the emitter sits on, let's call it the "heat sink" has slightly different needs. If it isn't the back of the light, the efficiency of heat transfer to the outside housing will depend on the cross-section, or area of contact between the heat sink and the housing. Thicker could be better.

Walt