mtbr member
    May 2013

housing for led-tech 7xml pcb

Hi all,

i am looking into a 7 xml light which should be very light and small. Therefore i have designed a housing where i would like to get your thoughts and if anybody is interested in also getting this housing?
    The driver will not be in this housing. It is designed for the led tech 7xml PCB with14mm high optics and a 42mm glas screen.
    housing for led-tech 7xml pcb-7xml.jpg
    plese provide me with your thoughts and tell me if you are interested in having one of this housings.

thanks
    Jeti

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by jetidahom View Post
    Hi all,

i am looking into a 7 xml light which should be very light and small. Therefore i have designed a housing where i would like to get your thoughts and if anybody is interested in also getting this housing?
    The driver will not be in this housing. It is designed for the led tech 7xml PCB with14mm high optics and a 42mm glas screen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7xml.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	800381

plese provide me with your thoughts and tell me if you are interested in having one of this housings.

thanks
    Jeti
    Not to put a damper on your design, but I personally prefer a design with the driver to be in the housing as this allows for thermal monitoring and throttling if needed. I think this is especially important for a light with 7 XMLs as this can generate a lot of waste heat which can degrade and damage the LEDs if not kept under control.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    thanks for the input. It will not be a 7000Lumen light for sure. There needs to be a lot of testing to get the sweet spot right!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    +1 on Kwarwick's suggestion. A small 7 XML light has the potential to cook itself quickly. In the years I have built LED lights, I have constantly gone smaller and lighter. I have come to the conclusion that about 1 sq inch of surface area per Watt of LED output works fine as long as there is moderate airflow over it. Stop that airflow for a minute or two and the temps rise quickly.

If I were to do a design for a round 7 emitter, I would cut vertical fins on the body behind the emitters. I have no education in thermodynamics or anything close but intuitively believe that the shortest thermal path for emitter to heat sink fins is best.