mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Hoppalights..! Mk2.1 and MK3

Mk2.1 on the left.. Mk3 on the right..

A couple of B2Flex's on order and Mk4 on the drawing board..!

MK2.1... Triple XPG @ 1amp (one warm white and 2 cool white) currently ledil laura wide and medium optics and regina reflector...
    the wide optic however is pretty much useless and will be replaced with another medium.

MK3... double, triple XPG's both @ 1Amp with seperate drivers to allow me to turn them on/off/high/low individually with one carclo medium frosted 20mm optic, one carclo narrow 20mm optic.. amazing light but lacks the outright punchy spot of even a single XPG / Regina combo

MK4... Triple XPG with carclo frosted medium optic, and either a single (maybe double) Regina spot or a regina and a ledil Laura spot / medium both running from separate B2Flex's @ upto 1.5amps..

undecided yet though... have to do a bit of testing first.. quite like the compact double case with the MK3 though..

help with the zip please
    Welcome spacehopper, that was a long hiatus or did you only just remember your pass word?

Nice lights, both will make great bar lights. well done

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    long time lurker..

been using the login quite a bit (as you need to login to view a lot of the pictures!)

just never had anything to post before!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hammond Mfg. needs to have a look at this forum for all the fine creations their product has enabled recently.

Dirt Deviant
    Looking good Spacehopper.
    I like the addition of the heatsink on MkIII.
    I added a heatsink to my recent build using the same hammond box with 2x XP-G's at 1.5a.
    It got a little warm without it.
    What mounts are you using there?
    How do you feel about the 3up medium optics?
    I am about to do a 2x 3up build as well, and have several of the carlco optics to choose from.
    Narrow, narrow frosted, medium frosted etc.
    Good work!!!
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    nice
    Daccordi - Attila
    Cinelli - Freedom Rider
    Paduano - Caligola

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    the medium optic is excellent as a flood.. no real penetration though.. but when combined with the narrow its pretty much the perfect beam combo for singletrack as far as im concerned..

just lacks a little bit of the ultimate throwy punch (when compared to a regina) when out on longer fireroads and canal towpaths etc.. but i doubt youd notice it unless you had the regina to compare with like i did last night..

the optics also have no hard edge to the beam either compared with a regina and fill in the ground around the front wheel much more nicely..

the mounts im using are lumicycle (which are expensive but good..) and have an extra square of aluminium between them and the light body to clear the stem..

the light gets ferociously burn your skin hot after about 5 minutes when inside...! so the heatsink is definatley needed..! but it didnt feel at all hot last night on the trail... (UK and about 1 or 2 degrees though!)

ive got a couple of narrow frosted optic's too but havent really used it as the two i have in now do the job i want

might have a play with them in the MK4!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Smile

Mk4 and Mk5 now built...!

Mk2.2 has had its wide optice replaced with another medium and is an excellent little light now..

Mk3 has been updated to 3.5 with had a complete re-design and now has a single XPG through a regina as a spot and a triple 20mm board through a ledil Satu Medium optic.. its a nice beam but im not overly keen on the tint of R5 XPG's its more powerful than the MK2 but the beam is much more eye friendly with the warmer tint LED in there too..

been working on the MK4 for a while now and finally got it completed this weekend!

Triple 20mm XPG through a Ledil Satu Medium Optic... powered by a B2flex at upto 1.5Amps

and 2 XPG's (one warm tint and one cool) through 2 Reginas powered by a seperate B2Flex at upto 1.5 amps..

first test ride either tonight or tomorrow!

and heres the Mk5 i built from bits i had left over.. tried to make it as small as i could! and its ended up pretty tiny! Triple 20mm XPG at upto 970Ma with a teapot Driver and a Carclo 20mm Spot optic

might be time to play with some XML's now...! its addictive this light building malarky!

Dirt Deviant
    Looks good. Nice work.
    When I first looked at the picture, it almost looked like the stars were mounted onto a piece of wood.......then I zoomed in on the larger version on flickr and could see that it is copper.

How do you like the Satu optic?
    I recently picked up a couple narrow and a medium....but haven't had a chance to test them out yet.
    I have a couple XPE 3 up boards that I was thinking of making some mini thrower lights.....and the Satu will fit perfect!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    lol.. wooden heatsinks...! though i do suppose the resulting fire would add some more lumens...

now where did i put that balsa..

The Satus are pretty good.. the medium is excellent as a floody optic.. with a slightly better beam (wider and a bit more throw) than the carclo 20mm optics but theres not a massive amount to choose between them to be honest..

the spot optic was decent if used on its own in a triple, though they lack the outright throw of reflectors, but on the upside they dont have the hard edge to the beam of a reflector..

also tried the wide Satu in the Mk3.. the flood was amazing but it just lacked a little bit of throw compared to the Medium satu to fill in the mid distance before the Regina takes over for the long distance..

they are a bit taller and wider than the Carclo's though if space is an issue!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    I have a couple XPE 3 up boards that I was thinking of making some mini thrower lights.....and the Satu will fit perfect!
    Hopefully this optic can do that. I would really like to see a beamshot with XPEs or Gs.

Dirt Deviant
    Spacehopper,
    was there a noticeable difference between the narrow carlco and the narrow satu?
    My most recent build is a dual 3up XPG bar light running narrow carlco optics, and they are pretty damn floody for narrow.......but great for a bar light when paired up with my dual xpg regina helmet light.

Vancbiker,
    I'll see if I can put together a test station for the 3up boards.
    I do have a spare 3up in each an XPG and an XPE, and could wire up my extra b2Flex with some quick disconnects to easily swap between the led boards.
    Also have all the carlco 3up options (besides elliptical) and the Satu narrow and wide.
    I'm very curious, so may have to whip something together asap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Couple of Beamshots..

Dual Regina @ 1.5amps

Ledil Satu Medium @ 1.5 amps

Portable Sun.. 2 Medium Satus and 3 Reginas! 3600 lumens in theory!

@Savagemann yes there was a noticable difference..

the Narrow Satu was a 'better' optic to my eyes as it had the Same throw as the Narrow Carclo but with more flood around the edges..

Id do a couple of beamshots with the MK5 but the Narrow Satu optic appears to have grown legs and disappeared!

Triple Satu optic plus a couple of Regina spots is an excellent overall combo..

another thing i noticed was that i was unable to tell any noticeable difference between the 20mm Triple boards / Optics if they where running at 1 amp or 1.5 amps..

Dirt Deviant
    Awesome. Thanx.
    Beamshots look good!
    1amp is perfect for the triple boards, as you said. There isn't much gain going up to 1.5amp, besides gaining a bunch of heat and losing runtime.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So far I've found 1.2A to be my favorite setting on xp-g