Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39

    Home made LED flashlight helmet mount

    Hi everyone,

    it is an honor to be here. I say this after browsing through some of the LED projects posted on this post. Amazing stuff!

    For some time now I've been looking for a decent LED flashlight mount for my helmet. I think that targeted lighting, a one you have control over its direction, is a great thing. It gives you the ability to foresee the future (extend the main light beam and see what comes beyond it) and this is the only way you could see some wild life along the rout. I had several occasions when I thought me and my buddies were the kings of the dust before I moved my head to the sides of the track and saw the green-glowing eyes of rodents or carnivorous lurking in the darkness. This can be a scary sight at first glance - but then I remembered that I didn't believe in demons...

    My problem was that I could not find any helmet mount I was sure in advance that would fit my helmet. I mostly looked on the Internet and you know how those things are - there is no replacement for having an object between your fingers in order to know it is the right thing for your needs.

    In the end I decided to create such a custom made helmet mount. My guidelines were: simplicity, low cost, total robustness and of course having fun!

    And this is what I came up with...

    What do you think? Honesty and constructive criticism are more than welcome. I never learned anything new from someone who shared my opinion :-)

    Be good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home made LED flashlight helmet mount-led_attachment_eightth_b.jpg  

    Last edited by riderInTheNight; 05-29-2010 at 06:16 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,665
    Your idea is a variation on a common theme. I do the same thing only I use 1" wide Velcro strapping and I don't wrap it around the torch just over the top. I do wrap some rubber tubing around the casing to give the torch some grip but other than that it stays in place without any problems. Your one of the lucky ones ( like me ) who have a helmet that works well with torches, not an easy find.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Your idea is a variation on a common theme. I do the same thing only I use 1" wide Velcro strapping and I don't wrap it around the torch just over the top. I do wrap some rubber tubing around the casing to give the torch some grip but other than that it stays in place without any problems. Your one of the lucky ones ( like me ) who have a helmet that works well with torches, not an easy find.
    Hi Cat-man-do,

    I thought a long time on how I was going to do this. I was afraid the flashlight will simply slip off if I will not grab it really good.Your solution was surely faster to implement as I had to stitch the Velcro to the elastic band, which took some time. I guess you are the living example this CAN be done without losing the flashlight on the way.

    The good thing about losing the torch during a night ride is:
    1. That you know about it right away
    2. That you immediately find where you lost it!

    Thank you for your insight.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39

    Just posted a film on Youtube...

    ...that demonstrates how to use the flashlight mount I've created.

    If you feel like it let me know what you think about my movie

    Cheers

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zen bicycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    439
    One thing you may want to consider is the amount of surface area your mount is covering on the light. Even with flashlights the more heat you can get out the better. If you have a good hardware store around look for some large O rings possibly. Or, just reduce the width of the strap.

    I am sure after such a good first leap that an upgrade won't be dificult for you

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by zen bicycle
    ...If you have a good hardware store around look for some large O rings possibly. Or, just reduce the width of the strap...
    hi zen bicycle,

    What do you mean with the O-rings? - how should I be using them? You mean attaching the flashlight using rubber o-rings and ditch my beloved hand-made mount?

    From reading I understand that the hotter the LED gets, the lower is its light output.
    The thing is: I didn't notice that the UniqueFire S10 really gets that hot. Maybe I will just attach a digital thermometer to it and let you know about the temperature...

    You think this could be such a loss in light output?

    Narrowing the elastic strap is possible but I wanted to to tightly grab the flashlight (and it really does!). In any case I took care not to cover the front of the flashlight, where the actual heat is being produced.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by riderInTheNight
    Hi everyone,

    it is an honor to be here. I say this after browsing through some of the LED projects posted on this post. Amazing stuff!

    For some time now I've been looking for a decent LED flashlight mount for my helmet. I think that targeted lighting, a one you have control over its direction, is a great thing. It gives you the ability to foresee the future (extend the main light beam and see what comes beyond it) and this is the only way you could see some wild life along the rout. I had several occasions when I thought me and my buddies were the kings of the dust before I moved my head to the sides of the track and saw the green-glowing eyes of rodents or carnivorous lurking in the darkness. This can be a scary sight at first glance - but then I remembered that I didn't believe in demons...

    My problem was that I could not find any helmet mount I was sure in advance that would fit my helmet. I mostly looked on the Internet and you know how those things are - there is no replacement for having an object between your fingers in order to know it is the right thing for your needs.

    In the end I decided to create such a custom made helmet mount. My guidelines were: simplicity, low cost, total robustness and of course having fun!

    And this is what I came up with...



    What do you think? Honesty and constructive criticism are more than welcome. I never learned anything new from someone who shared my opinion :-)

    Be good!
    The item you showed seems very good. Pls don't worry.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39
    Thanks vicky86 - makes me happy to read that.
    Even that in any case I love it - as is often with things you do yourself.

    It reminds my of Homer Simpson's DIY spices shelf, it was a horrible thing but he loved it...

    be good
    Need a fix? Try a high-jack!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •