Thread: home anodizing

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

home anodizing

hi all
    im going to have a go at anodizing as some of you have had great result do we have a check list and step by step guide at all for acid % and times
    i,ve read some where 20% acid and about 45 mins immersion time? then how long do you immerce the part in the dye solution and finally i boiling water to seal it?
    cheers thwang

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I use about 15% acid (specific gravity 1.126), but you can use anywhere from 12-20%. If you don't have a hydrometer, then you can simply just mix battery acid to water at a 50/50 ratio, and it should give you something close to 15-16%.

Immersion time is completely dependent upon your current density and desired coating thickness. Follow the "720 rule": Minutes for Anodizing = (mils of coating desired 720) / (Amps per sq-ft). I generally anodize to 1-1.3 mil thickness and keep the part in the dye until it looks the desired shade of color. Seal your part for 2-3 minutes per mil of coating.

Regarding step by step guides, just search online, you'll find tons of information. Here's one guide that will help get you started:
    http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    cheers cosmoworks