mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Hipflex Diagnostic Help

Light = 2 X MCE ( serial stars wired in parallel )
    Hipflex set with max @ 1400ma
    4 X 18650 batteries in series ( fully charged )

Tonight I was using my light as a flood light while I split firewood. I have the Hipflex configured in the 5 step power mode and was using power level 2 ( second from bottom ) If I understand the programming on the HIpflex, from max power level, each level down halves the power output, so I was running at about 1/8 of 1400ma.

The light had been running for about 45 minutes when it gave a short blink and then a couple minutes later it blinked again and then went out.
    End of the light in the middle of a paddock with electric fences all over the place. Thankfully I had my phone so was able to navigate back to the truck with the light emitted from the screen. The light housing wasn't even warm to the touch ( outside temp aprox 15 deg C )

Checked the battery pack when I got home 16.3v, nothing apparently wrong there.

Took the rear cover off the light head and did a continuity check on the power cable to the Hipflex, both wires ok. Can't see any burn marks on the Hipflex.

Checked the continuity of the momentary switch, operates normally.

Checked the resistance through the Hipflex and across the MCEs by touching the multi meter probes on the incoming power cable socket to the light head, 375KOhms

Unsure what to check next, suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hipflex Diagnostic Help-hipflex.jpg  

Hipflex Diagnostic Help-battery-pack-4s.jpg  

Hipflex Diagnostic Help-front1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Will this light turn on now?

What are the settings for the various warning and cutoff voltage settings in the driver?

What is the voltage of each cell in the battery pack under load? If the cells aren't well balanced, one of the protection pcbs may have shutdown.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The light won't turn on at all.

low voltage set at 13V
    medium voltage 14.3V
    temp setting 60degC

Each individual cell ( no load ) measures very similar voltage.
    I will rig a simple lamp to measure individual cell voltage under load.

I had a protection pcb go bad on a previous battery and the voltage reading for that battery was in millivolts until I removed the pcb and now the battery is fine. Was not using that battery in this pack.
    Last edited by rickh1; 05-31-2010 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think the next step is to measure the input voltage to the hipflex under load. Can you carefully touch the meter probes to IN+ and IN- while the battery pack is connected? You can also measure the output voltage at LED+ and LED-. If you have correct voltage at the input to the driver and no voltage at the output, then something has gone wrong with the driver. If you have output voltage from the driver, but no light, then something is wrong with the LEDs or wiring to the LEDs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Tested each battery under load on a 6V halogen light, between 3.8-3.9V

Checked there was power at IN+ & IN- on the board.

No power at the LED+ & LED- on the board, looks like an issue with the board

Thanks for the help.

removing nudity
    Have you sent a link to this thread to Taskled, or at least a copy of your first post?

My experience is their customer service is first class.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    Have you sent a link to this thread to Taskled, or at least a copy of your first post?

My experience is their customer service is first class.
    +1

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    great advice, I've emailed George.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have blown up/broken several of George's babys. Some he fixes, some he trashes. I have have been happy. James