mtbr member

HID and LED Comparison

I have read a ton of the LED homemade posts and they have been awesome! Good job building these lights, doing the research, and sharing the knowledge with everyone!

Before I start on my light, I wanted to know if anyone has done a complarison of a regular night-rider HID light and one of the Seoul or Cree lights that have been built. I have not seen any comparison photos of one of the home made lights and an HID, and I want to know if the LED's can be as bright and useable as an HID at this time. Also, does anyone know how many lumens an HID light (again, just the nightrider plain jane HID light from 4 years ago) is.

I have had an opportunity to use one of the new nightrider Tri-Newt lights and it was not even close to my HID as far as brightness and beam pattern... however I think a few of the homemade ones are better than the tri-newt.

Anyway, any comparisons or suggestions would be extremely helpful. I ride at night 4 or 5 days a week (I live in AZ, it is the only time it is not too hot!!) so I need something that is even or better than the HID I currently have.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    I bent my wookie...

mtbr member
    Nice!!!! he he he

mtbr member
    This isn't the best beam shot comparison out there, but gives you a good idea

Another homemade triple Cree

anything above about 4 of the latest LED's will be as bright or brighter than your normal HID. IMHO

(not trying to start a light war here please don't take it that way)

mtbr member
    That is what I am looking for. I want something as bright or brighter than the HID that I am currently using. Thanks for posting the pictures and the comparison (FYI... that is the same nightrider that I have so that works perfectly)

Any tips for a first time light would be great....

mtbr member
    Do a search on Achesalot as he made the design we all seem to start with along with a great write up. Otherwise for a non DIY version I would look at the Dinotte brand of lights in the US. Contact Rob at Dinotte or Geoman here on the forums for questions.

mtbr member
    If you look on the Lupine site you can compare their Edison HID along with the 4 LED (I think) Wilma on the same track. The Wilma is just shading the Edison in terms of brightness and seems to be slightly less run time.

I'm not suggesting that you get a Lupine, but this should be a useful comparison.

Tim

mtbr member
    Here is the one I was trying to find earlier

Thanks Brent for the photos

my LED light build.

Enlightened
    Early 10W HID assemblies were all made by Welch Allyn and sphered in at 500 Lumens.

Keep in mind that this a total output figure and really has no bearing on how bright it is at any one point in space per se.

Many DIY multiple LED setups eclipse that lumens figure easily and arguably hold numerous advantages over conventional HID setups.

Do you find that it is advantageous to have a more yellow or blue light for object recognition, depth perception, etc. in the red rock of AZ... assuming you're in those areas that is.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    If you look on the Lupine site you can compare their Edison HID along with the 4 LED (I think) Wilma on the same track. The Wilma is just shading the Edison in terms of brightness and seems to be slightly less run time.

I'm not suggesting that you get a Lupine, but this should be a useful comparison.

Tim
    The Edison HID blows a NR out of the water though. Lupine uses a custom ballast and is regulated for higher output than any of the NR HID lights which are unregulated. So again, that's not a direct comparison.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Thanks again for all the information and the beam shots... that really helped out a lot. I have one of the older 10w HIDs so I should be able to get and LED to be as bright and weigh less with a comparable burn time. I do live in AZ and have found the HID to be perfect... I like the whiter light compared to the yellow of a halogen.

I am going to build one of the cree or seoul lights over the next couple of weeks and see how it goes... probably use the achesalot design and build one that is similar to Brent878's light with 3 emitters. I think with all the information out there, I should be able to cobble something together and duct tape it to the handlebars!

Thanks again for all of your help with this question and the beam shots. I will post the finished item as soon as I have completed it!