Thread: HID Bulbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

HID Bulbs

Does anyone know an inexpensive source for these bulbs? I have a NiteRider Blowtorch that needs a new bulb, but the usual suspect bike dealers have them at $100.00 plus each. Does anyone know a cheaper bulb that will work (hopefully as well)?

mtbr member
    Which bulb does it use? wattage?
    can you post a picture please?

Hopefully its one of these?
    http://www.trailtech.net/HID-SP-R.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    Which bulb does it use? wattage?
    can you post a picture please?

Hopefully its one of these?
    http://www.trailtech.net/HID-SP-R.html
    I'll try to post a pic. Right now I can't get the bulb out because I can't find my standard allens. I don't understand why Niterider uses standard keys, it's a bike part! Ahhhhhhh!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Trailtech has the HID bulbs in MR11 and MR16 sizes. They are your best bet for an comparatively inexpensive source.

http://trailtech.net/replacement_lamps.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Are you sure it's the bulb? About 40% of the time it's the ballast. Sometimes the ballast is marginal and it'll work with a new bulb for a little while and then it'll quit again. The best way to figure it out is to switch bulbs with another light that has some use on it. If a known working bulb with some age on it, works in your light, then it's likely just the bulb. Also, if your bulb works in the other light then it may be both the bulb and the ballast are marginal.

Both the bulb and the ballast in these light have somewhat of a finite age based on number of hours of use. Often you have to end up replacing both to have a trouble free light again. May not be worth the money when you factor in how much better modern LED lights are now.

www.HSmtb.org
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    May not be worth the money when you factor in how much better modern LED lights are now.
    +1

I have an old Niterider Flight ($$$ at the time!) that has probably 2/3 the brightness of my Magicshine. I just built up a new battery pack, but when the light itself dies, it'll probably end up in the trash. Lights are so much brighter now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks all. It is the bulb for sure. I dropped the light on the ground and the HID filiment is wasted. I an going to try to cobble this system together anyway. I will open the system tonight and check out the specs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well, I contacted trailtech and they only had spots. According to the person I spoke to, they will not be getting floods in the future. I also looked for other sources but couldn't find any with floods. The light is for my helmet. Will I regret buying a spot?

Thanks for any replies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The bulb in your niterider is the welch allyn MR11 6 degree spot HID bulb. The bulb Goldiger linked will work but it's a wider beam pattern than the original. Batteryspace.com currently lists the right bulb on their site.

http://www.batteryspace.com/welchall...rail-tech.aspx

A couple of months ago someone posted this exact same question. At that time, batteryspace only listed the 13 degree bulb. I told them they should contact batteryspace and ask if they had any 6 degree bulb because they use to stock both. Now, magically they have 6 degree bulbs. Seems slightly fishy......

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Great tip - - - Thanks!

Do It Yourself
    I tried both the spot and flood HID bulbs. Since I only used one light at the time, I preferred the medium flood on the helmet. The spot would be good for the helmet only if you have a bar light as well. Otherwise it lacks necessary peripheral light.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    I tried both the spot and flood HID bulbs. Since I only used one light at the time, I preferred the medium flood on the helmet. The spot would be good for the helmet only if you have a bar light as well. Otherwise it lacks necessary peripheral light.
    Actually, Homebrew's post made me realize that my memory is failing and I have it backwards. What's really sad is that I responded correctly just a few weeks ago in this thread.

NiteRider Firestorm HID Bulb?

The OEM bulb is the 13 degree bulb and that is what most people prefer and now the fact that batteryspace only has the 6 degree bulb makes sense. You can try calling them and still see if they have any of the 13 degree bulbs left.

PM me if you bought the wrong bulb based on my bad advice. I can help you out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well, I called Tail Tech and Batteryspace. All they have is the 6 degree spot. I can't find the 13 at all. Is a 6 usable at all?

Thanks

Just a flesh wound
    I run 8 degree spots on my helmet. Great for me. I have a triple XPG flood on the bars. I can ride with either one alone, but together they are great.

If I had to choose, I'd take the helmet over the flood. Lots of twisty terrain, so looking around the corner is important.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What's the realistic life time of one of these bulbs?