mtbr member
    May 2010

hi everyoen! please help me build an led bike light! thank you

hi everyone i am new to cpd, but i have been reading some threads and this will be my first post.

-first off a little about me:
    i am very interested in the physics of high powered led flashlights and was wondering if all you pros out there can enlighten me.
    -i have an obsession with flashlights
    -i bought a bunch on DX and KD and now have an armory full of one.
    -somewhere along the road, i got interested in building my own flashlight, but i have zero experience with all of these dealios with drivers and resistors and all that fun stuff in flashlights.

well down to my point:

i was wondering if anyone could assist me in doing so.
    to start off, i have around 150-200 dollars to spend and i am interested in building either a triple part bike light (two leds on the sides for wide general lighting, and the middle part an led that will throw far, but still have decent light).

i was looking at Mr. ACHESALOT's manual in building my own flashlight
    http://www.bikeled.org/

and came up with the decision of
    |MC-E|CREE XP-E R5? OR R4|MC-3|
    or
    |P7|CREE XP-E R5? OR R4|P7|

mr. achesalot
    talks about the 3021 buck driver and how it delivers constant 1 amp to the leds. my question is, the P7 has max efficiency at 2.8 amps, so i was wondering if there was a type of driver i could use.

i also heard the term "direct-drive" on dealextreme threads and was interested how that works with flashlights as well.

i apologize if i butchered any the LED/flashlight jargon, please forgive me as i am a newbie.
    i certainly appreciate any input

chubba

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Off the top of my head...

IIRC...the Troutie 7up was on sale in your price range from cutter.au

Complete kit that will smoke anything I could build.

Otherwise...get yourself a 20mm triple XP-G and a 20mm triple XP-E r3 boards and optics. (narrow for the r3) Buy a MaxFlex driver from TaskLED. Build a housing. Bore a couple of flat bottom holes for the triple boards. Install MaxFlex. Wire it up. Run wires to a 14.8v power supply. Put on sunglasses or a welding hood...and sunscreen.

That'd give you a ton of light in a really small package.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    thanks for the info ill check it out.

im not really interested in buying a premade light as i already have a million of them on my bike. i just wanted to do a DIY project for myself so i can learn more about what i love so much and it would be cool if i can say,"I MADE THIS!" dont you think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I totally understand. I bought a MagicShine for $95. Since then, I've put countless hours into a housing for another light...and in the end, will cost more money to boot!

But "I built it!" (and I've already started building another one, hahahaha!

Here's my triple XP-G light:
    link

And number two in progress:
    link

edit:
    You may want to check out the 20mm triple XP-G and XP-E boards that are out. Lux-RC.com is going to be shipping one soon with an integrated driver.

Cutter's website already offers a single XP-G with a built-in driver and they have several options regarding triple 20's and the 7-up board. The 7-up is quite impressive!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    that looks aesome! youre quite the craftsman to cut something so nicely and so small.

what is a triple xpe you are talking about?