mtbr member

HEX-A-Optical -XML

For my next stupid light I give you the first part which arrived in the mail this weekend
    sat next to what was going to be a replacement for the Hope 4 beast I did a while ago but sold that one after only a couple of rides .

I didnt read the spec properly on Cutters site and missed the 70 mm dia size bit but what the heck you know what they say
    " A good big one will always beat a good little one "

now I am looking at it and thinking as its so big and space ia not an issue then maybe a dual driver in this baby but what con fig
    1/5 or 2/4 or 3/3 or just a HBFlex and all 6

help with the zip please
    OK, this may be crazy, stupid, a complete waste of time or all three but what about a 6 / 6? Is that even possible?
    I don't mean 6 plus 6 I mean 2 drivers configured differently but both connected to the same string of 6. One programmed for the max 3A, the other for a more conservative 1.5A and both having the various Taskled steps below the max.

Switch between the power source and the two drivers so you could select one or the other. My thinking is that MAx on the road will always be less than max in the bush and a suitable low for MTB use may still be too bright for the commute home on shared roads.

Just a thought and maybe a complete waste of time. Don't even know if it is possible to wire them up without the danger of putting juice to both drivers at the same time via the shared LED terminals.

Either way, I'm subscribed for this madness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't see the use of two different drivers since the optics are all the same, right? So at least in theory it would make no difference if you had for example three leds on with 1A or six on with 500mA, except the six leds would be producing slightly more lumens.

It will be interesting to see the beamshots with that optic!

Emu, your avatar still makes me smile, everytime

mtbr member
    My original plan was to run the centre led on its own for the road and the ring of 5 for the offroad .

but as I have a HBflex on its way from George I think for simplicity that will drive all six
    and wont be a problem as I very rarely do much road stuff .

for sure it will be a bit of a beast

mtbr member
    I think you need to make a light with 3 of those, then you could call it the 666 "Number of the Beast" light. That would be very cool. You could also make a "Hellishly Heavy" battery to go with it

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I was thinking 667, then you could call it "neighbour of the beast".

But seriously, I was going to make a twin 6up for my mates motorbike as an offroad light. 6 xml just isn't enough when going fast but 12 would be excellent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72 View Post
    I was thinking 667, then you could call it "neighbour of the beast".

But seriously, I was going to make a twin 6up for my mates motorbike as an offroad light. 6 xml just isn't enough when going fast but 12 would be excellent.
    How fast will he need to go to out run this beam

its over 200 metres to my van down the lane

Camera zoomed in a little

not built a light yet just cobbled it together on some ali bar to see what the beam would be like .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sure looks crazy

Rep Power Infinity +2
    That's is pretty impressive Chris.