mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Help from you guys with creating a serial connection

II have just ordered an iBlaast. I am planning on using 2 sets of batteries that I currently have. They are 7.2v 4800mAh. Batteryspace told me I could run those in a series. Ian was so kind to help me figure out if the PCB would work with the batteries. Thanks Ian. Here is my question, how hard would it be to make my own serial connectors? I am electrically challenged. Batteryspace has a serial connection however they want $13 and I would have to change the rest of the connections for a total of about $30. Want to know if there is away to do this myself without blowing everything up. If you can help please explain like you are talking to a 8 year old. Thanks. After doing some research on the internet, it looks as if I need to connect the positve and negative feeds of the batteries. So could I take a positive wire coming from battery 1 and negative wire from battery 2 solder these together. Then take Negative from battery 1 and positive from battery 2 and connect to light. Thoughts on this. I understand that I would need to charge each separately. Please respond with comments.
    Last edited by Robsibis; 12-11-2007 at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You have the connections right but you don't want to solder them together or you will not be able to charge the batteries separately. You could try an auto parts or RC hobby store for a simple connector to join them together (e.g. use an in-line fuse holder with a piece of copper wire across the terminals), but it would be messy (as you old also be connecting + and - leads from the other end of each battery to the light separately).
    All this is possible, cheap and relatively pain free but not tidy, and leaves you with lots of potential for the lights to stop working due to a loose connection. And you would have to be VERY careful not to accidentally short the batteries by connecting them wrong. Because you're charging two batteries you would also need two chargers, or enough memory to remember to swap them on the charger!

Your best options as I see them:
    1. change the light over to a different (boost) driver circuit so you can use one battery at a time (perhaps nightlightning can help?)
    2. strip down the battery packs and reassemble (with appropriate protection circuit) into a single 14.8V pack, and buy a matching charger.
    3. buy a new 14.8V battery and charger.

HTH
    dsut4392

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ok, have found a reasonable solution. The great folks at Nightlightning have agreed to make me a y loom to run the batteries in a series with connectors to match battery, light and charger. So I can connect light to loom to batteries and then disconnect each battery to recharge. I know this sounds like a lot to go through but I am already over budget by $40 so every penny counts at this point. I have learned a tremendous amount in regards to batteries, lights and electrical current. Thanks for your post Dsut.