mtbr member

Help! Wiring the bflex

I have a bflex with the Cutter 3-Cree LED kit. I am attempting to mount it in a flashlight and have use the approach that Stewed outlined here: Finshed my Cree / Bflex light.

I have 15.8 volts to the board (testing the +IN and -IN) from my li-ion battery, but have no power at the LED out points. Of course this could be because I shaved about 1mm off both sides of the board and Stewed was just lucky when he did this.

I also tried connecting up the switch that came with the board and, separately also tried a remote switch but, not surprisingly, neither made any difference.

The power leads are solidly connected, but I will try removing and re-attaching them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    I have a bflex with the Cutter 3-Cree LED kit. I am attempting to mount it in a flashlight and have use the approach that Stewed outlined here: Finshed my Cree / Bflex light.

I have 15.8 volts to the board (testing the +IN and -IN) from my li-ion battery, but have no power at the LED out points. Of course this could be because I shaved about 1mm off both sides of the board and Stewed was just lucky when he did this.

I also tried connecting up the switch that came with the board and, separately also tried a remote switch but, not surprisingly, neither made any difference.

The power leads are solidly connected, but I will try removing and re-attaching them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim
    I'd suggest you contact George at TaskLED or use their forum... Maybe someone can step you through a test procedure...

Good luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice airman, I'll get in contact with George.

Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi Tim
    If you shaved the board in same place I did it should be no problem. I cut the board at the coil and directly across from it - there was room to spare. I examined it closely under a magnifying light before cutting. I chose the spots cause there were no traces or components in the way. The planes around the edge are both common to to each other and -IN. I also wired and tested it before cutting. A couple of things come to mind. 1 do you have the old rev. board? 2 is there any dust that could be causing a short?. If you didn't cut a trace or nick a component there should be no problem.
    Hope it works out for ya. PM me if I can help.
    stew

mtbr member
    Stewed

Thanks, I'll make sure that the board is dust free. I shaved the board in the same places: by the coil and directly across from it. I think it is the newer board. This is the best picture my photographic skills allows.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ya thats the new board. I looked on the taskedled site and he shows a very clear photo. They look the same though. Your trim looks OK to me. But I can't say 100% cause it is a different rev. Did you consider a problem at the LED end? Check for Volts at the -LED and +LED pads with a meter. IF you don't have a meter you might try taking a small 12VDC bulb (like a car dash light) solder a couple of leads to it and and check the LED outputs. If the Bulb lights you have a problem with your LED's. Maybe reversed polarity.
    Edit
    A small lamp from the shack would be good for a test. Remember the taskled is going to power up in the 350mA mode so any light at all means the board is probably OK.

mtbr member
    Stewed,
    Yes, I checked for voltage at the LED + and - with a meter, and there is none. I also re-checked the polarity and it is as it should be. I'll go over the connections again, and made sure the board is clean of dust to reduce the possibility of this being a problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Tim

mtbr member
    Well I finally fixed it by buying a buckpuck to replace the bflex. I guess in the process of modifying the beflex I caused terminal damage. I bought the 1000mA buckpuck with wiring for a potentiometer: http://www.luxeonstar.com/item.php?i...=3023-D-E-1000

I was surprised to see that it fits quite well into the body of the flashlight. Just a matter of carefully bending the wires.

I just need to get a pot, wire it up and seal the wires at the back (although it runs perfects as is). I also need to clean the wiring up a bit and put some thread sealant on the threads for head, but it's usable as it is, and these things will come shortly.

Just in time for a ride on Friday night.

Thanks for the help.

Tim