mtbr member

Help with quick release mount.

We would like quick release mounts for our ayup lights!
    Anyone know of an existing mount that might work?
    Biggest problem is messing with zip ties. Then when not using light set you've got this ugly mount on bars. Would love quicker option.
    How bought an available QR that I could modify to attach light. ?

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/i-love-my-ayups-but-750765.html#post8626005
    Appreciate any and all ideas!
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    .....the end

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I find the cateye flex tight mount to be pretty good as it is easy to install on even the tapered part of your bar and has never rotated even on the bumpiest of tracks. It has an M5 nut inside which might not suit your light however if there is no where to drill a hole

mtbr member
    I thought about the cateye system too, but you'd have to figure out a way to attach the spacer to the bottom of your light, although that would apply to most QR systems out there. Is there anyway of repurposing part of the AYUP mount so you can convert it to another system?

I have a bit of a thing against the flextight mounts so as I've had a couple break on me and I've sometimes struggle to get the mount tight enough. I much prefer the single size cam mounts,

lumen junkie
    Oct 2009
    If you can find the cateye parts they are great. You can get the flex type or the QR type of mount. They also allow you to use it for helmet or bar mount.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Look at the mounts here and see if you can modify any of them to work. SSC P7 LED Bike light parts

mtbr member
    hmm, looking at the mount on an AYUP post over the lights forum, it looks like it's a strap that you loop over the center section? In that case, you could just get a jubilee clip, bolt the cateye spacer onto the bottom with a thin nut, cover the nut with a bit of rubber and then strap that onto that bit between the 2 light heads. It'd look ghetto, but it should work fine.

mtbr member
    I like to use O-ring mounts, pretty simple and sturdy.

My hasty sketch below shows the o-ring path(red). The mount could be carved out of plastic or aluminum. A 3mm o-ring should do the trick. I get mine from O-rings USA

Last edited by phburns; 12-08-2011 at 01:10 PM.

mtbr member
    yeah, that'd do the trick. Simple too, plus you'd be able to use any of the "o-ring round a bar" type helmet mounts as well (NR, Lupine, MS etc)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    I thought about the cateye system too, but you'd have to figure out a way to attach the spacer to the bottom of your light, although that would apply to most QR systems out there. Is there anyway of repurposing part of the AYUP mount so you can convert it to another system?

I have a bit of a thing against the flextight mounts so as I've had a couple break on me and I've sometimes struggle to get the mount tight enough. I much prefer the single size cam mounts,
    repurposing? yes i think i could cut off ends of factory mount and use a cam mount from the plase KBARK listed here SSC P7 LED Bike light parts
    great ideas thanks
    .....the end

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phburns View Post
    I like to use O-ring mounts, pretty simple and sturdy.

My hasty sketch below shows the o-ring path(red). The mount could be carved out of plastic or aluminum. A 3mm o-ring should do the trick. I get mine from O-rings USA

'HASTY' ??

WOW!! that's incredible! even got the green light and carbon bar
    nice work and i like the idea, just like my Garmin 500 mounts with o-rings, simple
    i even have access to small pieces of aluminum and could mill holes then cut in two for the half holes; good winter projects thanks everyone
    .....the end

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by foot hill View Post
    'HASTY' ??

WOW!! that's incredible! even got the green light and carbon bar
    nice work and i like the idea, just like my Garmin 500 mounts with o-rings, simple
    i even have access to small pieces of aluminum and could mill holes then cut in two for the half holes; good winter projects thanks everyone
    you could even use something moldable like sugru or thermoplastic (the stuff you put in hot water, shape it then it sets). I made a remote switch with a square of alu, some thermoplastic and an o-ring, works a treat.

mtbr member
    oogoo, could be another option...sugru like substance formed with silicone and corn starch: Oogoo on Instructibles

mtbr member
    that's a good point, should have mentioned that. Now that I've run out of sugru and I have a fresh tube of acetic cure silicone, I need to give it a whirl

mtbr member
    Sugru & the DIY version ooogu. Cool stuff. Read all instructables and have got to try it. Been good weather here in California so my free time has been spent riding😄
    .....the end

mtbr member
    I've only used Sugru so far, but it is awesome - I use it for strain reliefs on my lights, making remotes, fixing cables my rabbit's chewed, etc. However, you'd need to include something metal for the o-ring to hook around as sugru wont be strong enough.

I keep meaning to make some oogroo to fix my daughter's boots that a cousin's dog chewed. I have to get off my butt and do that before the end of winter..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects