mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Help with a old NiteRider HID

I have a 2006 Niterider HID Canibal ( about the same as the Moab...HID plus 4 led's)
    When I plug in the battery...either the LEDs come on and stay on...or the HID comes on and stays on.
    There is no battery level lights lit up in the power switch.
    When I hit the power switch....the power battery lights start working.
    But...it either toggles to the LEDs or the HID...the 3 power levels do not work .
    The only way I can shut it off is unplug it.

Talked to Niterider...and their HID guy was not in.
    Any one have an idea what it could be? It's been a great light...and I know there are great LED systems now....
    BTW...I posted here in the DIY forum because I figure you folks will know the inner workings more than the guys who buy lights.
    TIA
    Last edited by the mayor; 01-04-2013 at 08:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    sounds like there's some form of microprocessor controller that has failed or is failing. Could be ballast or start capacitor type stuff - but that shouldn't affect the LED portion of the light functioning. the thing with these systems is that there was a lot of controllers and stuff, sometimes in batteries, sometimes in the light heads. The Niterider "HID guy" might be your best bet. I hope he's more than the "HID guy" since they don't make HID lights anymore. Job security would seem tenuous at best.

Unfortunately, most of us are working with LED only, I don't see many threads talking about HID modding. I was just researching issues with a friend's NR HID system and I couldn't find hardly anything as far as troubleshooting or self-repair, other than bulb swaps.

when a HID bulb costs more than a nice complete LED setup/battery/charger - it might be time to do some cost comparison.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I agree.
    I figured I'd throw it out here and see if some one has seen...and fixed ...this same problem.
    Throwing money at an old HID doesn't make much sense ...unless it's a cheap fix

mtbr member
    The switch in a friend's NR HID (sounds similar, has some useless 5mm LEDs underneath) died for some unknown reason and he just bypassed it completely. He has to unplug it to turn it off, but seeing's though you're not supposed to turn HIDs on and off alot, that's not much of a hassle. He figured that it was better to have a mostly working light than no light at all