mtbr member
    May 2009

Help needed for troubleshooting

So i built this tiny alu head/housing that takes 2 xpe-leds, got everything wired up, connected the battery and......nothing......

So i need some pointers as to how to start the troubleshooting process.

I checked all the soldering points and connectors and everything seems ok. I checked that the pos power goes into in+ and neg is on in-. led+ and led- is also correct.

The switch is soldered on the sw1 points on the board and not on the swa and swb.

I have a 14.8v li-ion battery connected via a bflex driver.

If i have a multimeter, where should i start to check for continuity, what should i check for and where should i end ?

help with the zip please
    did you get a switch with the bflex or are you using one you have got elsewhere?

If it is one supplied with the bflex have you actually soldered the pins into the holes, it comes loose so that it can be removed.

If it is one you have supplied then I always connect mine to the swa and swb holes as described in the manual. I don't know if that'll make a difference but maybe worth looking at.

With the multi check the voltage at the battery to make sure it is charged properly. Not sure about continuity on the board or leds, sorry, but check continuity on your leads coming into the boards. If I have problems it is normally with connectors between batteries and the board fly leads.

Hope that little bit helps. I'm sure others will be along soon to give better ideas.

mtbr member
    May 2009

switch

thanks emu

i have a different switch (momentary) that i use, and took the switch that came with it off.

The mo switch is connected to the same holes that the supplied switch goes onto. is this correct or should i connect the switch to swa and swb and not sw1 ?

help with the zip please
    Manual says SWA and SWB when using another switch
    I don't know if that is the problem but it may be

mtbr member
    May 2009

switch

ok ill try the switch on swa , swb first and see if it gives me light

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Make a sketch (schematic) of how you have wired everything and post it. Be sure to show the connection points as named on the devices. LED circuits are so simple that often as you sketch out what you have done you'll find the error. Post some pics of the light as well, we want to see it anyway and there may be ideas of problems that come up from seeing how things are mounted.

mtbr member
    May 2009

thanks

Thank you to all that tried to help.

I found the problem to be not with my setup but with the battery itself. (was not charging properly)

I traced the problem all the way from the leds to the boards to eventually the battery.

fixed the charger and charged the batteries and it now works at last and i have light.

I still have one problem though. I am running a small head with 2 xpe leds and a seperate housing (plastic) for the bflex (running uib2) and the switch.

All works well on 350, 500 and 750 milliaamps but when i switch to 1000 it cuts out completely after a couple of seconds.

I recall someone else on the forums having the same problem on high.

My problem is that my driver is far removed from leds and thus cannot measure the temp of the led housing. bflex is also a step down driver and does not require a heatsink thus it is just sitting in the housing.

I thought that when the voltage of the battery drops below medium and low the light will dim first before cutting out, although i am leaning towards the voltage dropping below the required voltage and the driver cuts out.

I have to disconnect power to get the light on again.

I then set the power to 750mA and the light burns on without switching off.

Anyone have any thoughts about this.

This light will be a commuter light that will sit on the bar for heatsinking.

some photos with lenses in. still needs faceplate screwed on.

side view with concave bottom and top

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Since you started a whole 'nutha thread for this issue...why not just post a link instead of the double-post. Could get confusing/annoying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    Since you started a whole 'nutha thread for this issue...why not just post a link instead of the double-post. Could get confusing/annoying.
    Pot meet kettle
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    May 2009

sorted

This problem has since been sorted.

It was the protection circuit on the battery packs.