more carbon=more awesome

Help me wire up this 5 cell pack.

Hey guys.

Since my 4 cell pack was struggling a bit to drive my Bazooka light at full burn I've got myself a couple of extra cells and a couple of protection circuits to build up a couple of 5 cell packs.

With a bit of help I figured out the 4 cell pcb last time, but this one is posing slightly more of a question.
    On the last one I only had to attach wires to the negative poles of the first 3 out of four cells. But this one has 6 contacts, so I'm guessing I need to attach the positive pole of the first to B1, negative to B2, next negative to B3 etc up until the fifth negative goes to B6.
    This means B1 and B6 will be doubled up with the power wires to the cells.

Does that sound right?

Help me wire up this 5 cell pack.-5-cell.jpg
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    sounds about right to me, though I'm far from being an expert. I'd just double check that B1 + B+ are wired to the same cell and not B1 + B-, for example.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Is it a 5 cell specific board? I'm wondering if it is able to be configured as a 5S or 6S with some different/additional components.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 09-30-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: fixed spelling

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Is it a 5 cell specific board? I'm wondering if it is able to be configured as a 5S or 6S with some different/additional components.
    Yes it was sold specifically as a 5 cell board. If it worked the same as my 4 cell board I would expect it to have B1 to B4.

more carbon=more awesome
    Well for future reference, if anyone ever buys one of these, my first guess was wrong. After a bit of discussion with Eric from Nightlightning here in NZ, I broke out the multitester and did some resistance tests. Turned out B1 wasn't attached to anything. I guess this board can be configured to run a 6 cell pack too.

I actually attached the negative of the first cell to B6, the second to B5.... etc...... Plugged it into my ebay special digital charger, which will also go up to 6S cells, and held my breath. It charged for about an hour, topping out somewhere north of 20 volts, then sounded the alarm to let me know the pack was full. I haven't bothered to test individual cells, but the new pack easily ran my Bazooka light on full burn without any annoying voltage warning flashes, and I didn't notice any dimming. So I call that a result.
    Level 5 at 4k lumens is pretty darn bright! And I've got all my bar light pieces back from the anodisers.... Too bad I ran out of solder, but I should be rocking a solid 8k lumens with huge throw and massive flood on next Wednesday's ride. I might cackle a bit.