Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers! View Post
    This to me is the nicest 4cell 18650 case. It's so nice, I convinced Kevin on candlepower forums to just sell me the case with the holder and cable gland. Would fit perfectly in the back pocket of a cycling jersey because it is a flat 4 cell config instead of a round config.

How much was it?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah that's a great case but for a different application. Nice and simple and very strong.

I'm going for the ultra-light approach with a head-shaped bracket in order to eliminate bounce while running.

Even Kevin acknowledges that his battery case is heavy and more aimed at cavers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For a bike weight is a lesser concern.

Here are my proposed requirements:
    body made from an aluminium extrusion with plastic end caps and sealing o-rings
    2 cells side by side
    available in different lengths: 1, 2 and 3 cells long
    different battery configurations: 1P2S, 2P1S, 2P2S, 1P4S, 2P3S, 1P6S
    quick battery swaps are not required, because it is easier and safer to swap battery packs
    fixing to the frame by Velcro straps
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi. Have you considered dip-moulding as a manufacturing process for your plastic parts?
    If your capable of machinig aluminium, with a little advice you would be able to make your own tooling.
    Find the right factory and they should be able to do samples and short production runs.

I hope this doesn't come across as spam (my first post), but as you might imagine I work for a dip moulding manufacturer (toolmaker) and have had experience of getting my own 18650 holders moulded (my own project stalled).

Good luck with the development work; the holders that you've made look very professional!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks zemike. I've got a pretty good universal system that can allow any of those configurations.

NovaNath, I was under the impression that dip-moulding was just for flexible plastics. The first 50 headlights I sold all had dip-moulded (PVC + some elastomer) cases. They were nice and waterproof, but you couldn't swap the 18650s so I moved away from them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You are right; flexible and semi-rigid (there are a myriad of grades).
    We produce a lot of custom shoruds of one sort or another. The nature of the material is to self seal and you can cut grooves in the tooling to make stiffening ribs in the moulding/add internal detail.

I was thinking that if you had a V profile on the lower back part of the sleeve/box (with horizontal or vertical slots to maintain shape for batteries-), this could deform slightly as you do the velcro up tight, and form to the shape of the bike frame tube. (Velcro would wrap round the outside of box). The tackyness of the moulding would help hold it in place.
    The more recent smooth version that you pictured in post #6 would translate well into a dip moulding, but because the moulding would come out with fairly uniform wall thickness, you would need to be creative with your fixings for the lugs you use to attach the loops/straps.

I do a lot of tooling design, so this sort of ticklies my interest!

I can model up an example if my words don't make much sence? (i'm a picture thinker)
    Last edited by NovaNath; 11-11-2012 at 02:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stick with the rigid design.

As well as cyclists, I make these things for cavers and swimmers, so it needs to be dive-proof.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ahorton View Post
    As well as cyclists, I make these things for cavers and swimmers, so it needs to be dive-proof.
    Ahh, I'd missed that.
    I'm not sure i'd want to rely on a dip moulding when fully immersed either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    hi ahorton, you have a sample of your battery holder?

I'm interested for a my project...

please contact me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    All the good samples have been used I'm sorry. New ones are currently being made. I'll let you know when they are ready.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey!

First post on the forums after some time lurking around.

I've just finished up my first easy2led helmet light which worked out really well but now that's done I gotta get a nice battery holder sorted. Obviously I've toyed around with joining cells together in single holders then plasti dipping them (or similar) but honestly your work has caught my eye! Have you had any progress with manufacturing?

Cheers,
    Steven

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers! View Post
    This to me is the nicest 4cell 18650 case. It's so nice, I convinced Kevin on candlepower forums to just sell me the case with the holder and cable gland. Would fit perfectly in the back pocket of a cycling jersey because it is a flat 4 cell config instead of a round config.

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    How much was it?
    What he said and who's Kevin?
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

Hack Racer
    I bought the last one. $60 USD + shipping

Hack Racer
    Ever thought about social media?

Kickstarter

I learned about them via backing 2 guys for brake rotors:
    SiCCC Bicycle Brake Rotor: Silicon Carbide-Ceramic-Carbon by Kettle Cycles — Kickstarter

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Kevin Kavelight on CPF link

Kevin on CPF:
    Kavelight P60 Headlamp

As mentioned, his beast is a bullet-proof unit, with weight being a secondary concern.
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Help me tweak my 2x 18650 waterproof holder

Thread dig, did you ever get these holders into production?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2