mtbr member
    Oct 2007

help me get over my betty guilt!

I ordered a betty yesterday as the shop had no VAT on the lights this week

Then i started feeling guilty Even been having thoughts of..oh well i can cancel order / return it when i have looked in the box!!

Went for a ride with my existing lights (ayups) to then convince myself they are perfectly adequate, and i started saying to myself 'yeah i could do with more light but isnt having 1400 lumens gonna spoil the fun' and coming out with other stupid arguments like how am i gonna justify the price when my riding buddies ask me the cost!!!

Stupid thing is, if they were for my girlfriend (not that she rides!!!) i would have no probs splashing out that sort of money!!

mtbr member
    Don't feel bad I ordered one too and am just waiting for it to arrive. I already have a Wilma too . My girlfriend and I broke up so I figured I will just spend the money for xmas on myself that I would have spent on her buying jewelry or some crap lol. Gotta look on the bright side .

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

here's the fix

go out and buy a new bike. The guilt over the Betty will subside......

Bodhisattva
    Noob.....

I'm trying to figure out a reason why I shouldn't buy a SECOND Betty

Crunchatize me Capn'
    hmmm....I'm sorry but you are bad, bad, bad, for buying that Betty. For penance you must send me that Betty and I will ensure that I won't feel bad for using it! =]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you kidding? What's the point of riding with lights you have to strain and squint to see trail details? With the Betty, I don't have to worry about so many different things. All I focus on is the ride and getting over trail obstacles just like I do in the daytime but it like this wide swath of even light and you can see so much more that it makes night riding more fun. I see deer that have bedded down for the night, foxes that are chasing mice, and even the glowing eyes of spiders and sometimes, even snakes slithering off the trail once in a while.

I think it improves the experience by adding to it. Seeing more really does make it a lot more interesting. Betty guilt? No way. I am so glad I got it.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    You should feel guilty. Those lights contribute to global warming. There's no way that having something as bright as the sun on both sides of the earth isn't going to heat the planet.

I can hear the ker-splashing of another iceberg off the Greenland ice sheet as we speak.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    It's true. Recent studies have proven that the Beta testing they did with the Betty's near the polar ice cap have resulted in the smallest sea ice index to date!

I tested mine out the other night and the day-length sensitive plants in my yard immediately bloomed. Freaked me out, bigtime!

Bodhisattva
    There's been talk in the Pacific NW about lowering the suicide rate by scattering a few Bettys around Seattle as a cure for seasonal affective disorder.

mtbr member
    It's easy. Convert your guilt to anger. Leave your bike (Betty attached) somewhere unattended (let me know where) for two hours (no peaking) and you won't feel guilty at all when you get back.
    To the troll mobile, away...

GeoMan
    I promise you won't feel the least bit guilty once you fire that baby up.

Enjoy it! It's a great light!!!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well... Im feeling guilty for NOT having ordered mine YET Hope that gives some solace to yours hehehe...

PS. Andrews... this is the WRONG place to look for what youre asking... but I guess you know that by now huh []

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ok well the guilt stage is over (thanks for all the counselling guys ), now i just want my lights!!

Maybe there is a recognised progression of psychological stages to go through when biying expensive lights, like those ones they always go on about when coping with death!

Indecision (when choosing lights), nervousness (before clicking the buy button), guilt (after buying the Betty) , excitement + impatience (waiting for it to arrive)......then anger when you miss the delivery and have to pick it up from the depot!!! Hope i dont get that one! I wonder what the last stage is - maybe a feelling of being a god, when you are blasting down some twisty singletrack at midnight with the sun strapped to your head

I think we should try get some funding to make a Light buyers anonymous group, like Alcoholics anonymous, for all the compulsive light buyers on here....'Hello, my names (insert here) and i cant stop buying lights'

GeoMan
    You know, it's a true condition! I hang out over on the CandlePower Forums sometimes and there are folks that own every conceivable flashlight brand and model. Fascinating!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

fuggansonofahowa
    Funny thing....I too have guilt over a Betty. It started off innocent enough and she just put her hand on my knee, our eyes locked in a lustful stare, then she......hey, this isn't imamalewhore.com forum......mods, please delete my post (my wife frequents this site).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Andrew- the last stage is when you come to terms with the expense of the Betty. You know no other light comes close and you know your night-riding frequency will double and your night rides will be more enjoyable each time

I have arrived at this stage. It's sort of like when Buddha attained Nirvana- on a much smaller scale.

"Mr. Britannica"
    just sell 'em and make some dough

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Andrew- the last stage is when you come to terms with the expense of the Betty. You know no other light comes close and you know your night-riding frequency will double and your night rides will be more enjoyable each time

I have arrived at this stage. It's sort of like when Buddha attained Nirvana- on a much smaller scale.
    Like John finding Paul & George [SIZE="2"](and sometimes Ringo)[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Squeaky, I hear Larry got a bunch more Lupines in. It seems we may not be the only Lupine users around here anymore. I was kinda digging the exclusive aspect

We went riding on Tuesday and Thursday at night. A car that was leaving stopped to see what light I just turned on when I hit the switch on the Betty. I'll definitely take some pics next time. I get so excited about night-riding that I never stop and by the end of the ride, it's so cold that I get no help in taking pictures. Everyone wants to bolt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    By the way, I temporarily dropped the setup power mode (not the dim setting but the wattage the light works on) from 12 watt to 10 watts. I was playing around with this after I put it in the three-step dimming program. Apparently, dropping the wattage almost doubles the life of the LEDs. Anyway, it is hard to tell if the 10 watt setting visibly dims the light. It probably does reduce the brightness and throw by a bit but it is hard to tell. I set it back to full power since I'll be taking pictures soon but I thought I'd mention this since it will significantly increase the LED life without significantly dimming the light. If the LED life is 1,000 hours, this may increase that to 1,750 hours or so.

I spelled Knievel wrong
    The life expectancy of your LEDs is a lot higher than 1000 hours, even when pushing them at full power. Cree XR-Es are rated to burn for 50,000 hours @700mA if properly heatsinked. At that point their output will have dropped to 70% of original output. I'm not sure exactly what LEDs are in the Betty, but it has to be either SSCs or Crees. Either way you'll be fine pushing 12w with your Betty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think it should be a lot higher as well. I do remember seeing the mention of 1,000 hrs in the manual but I'll have to see what exactly it was referring to.

mtbr member
    By the time the led life is over Lupine will probably have an upgrade available anyway so I am gonna run mine on full.