mtbr member
    May 2007

Help With Basic Battery Charging

Hey everyone,

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find the answer to this question. It relates to charging the lead acid batteries found on many of the not so new lights. Can anyone help me?

I'm getting a Cygolite Night Rover with a sealed Lead Acid battery (gel cell). Fully charged, it might last somewhere around 2 hours. I see all this stuff about how easy it is to kill your battery by totally running it down, by overcharging it, etc. If I use it for one hour every day, how often am I supposed to charge it? And for how long? Overnight, every 2 nights?

If anyone can provide insight on how they manage their batteries, I'd really appreciate the help!

bumble
    Lead acid batteries should be kept charged. They do not like to be fully discharged. So if you will be riding for an hour at a time, for a two-hour battery, you would definately want to re-charge it after every ride in accordance with the battery instructions that will be included with your battery system. The situation you describe is one that will do well with a lead-acid battery.

I might suggest, though, that the newer NiMH powered lights, esecially something like the Dualcross or the Dinotte Ultra 5 are very good lights, and are without the necessary care required by older battery technologies like the lead-acid battery.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Probably the one benefit of lead acid batteries I can think of is that they are fairly tolerant of overcharging. You **can not** plug them in to a high current charger and walk away, but **you can** connect them to a constant current charger and charge them up at a 12 to 16 hour rate and not have to worry much about over estimating their level of depletion. They'll take that kind of abuse just fine.

Oh, and the other benefit is they're cheap, so if you do eventually kill one, replacement costs are minimal compared to building up a NiMH or Li-Ion battery.

Grab yourself a mechanical lamp timer with separate, removeable on and off pins. Plug in just an OFF pin (leave the ON out completely), and set it to run for the desired amount of time.

If your max charging time is supposed to be 12 hours, and you figure you used 1/2 of the juice, then set the timer to run 1/2 of the max charge time, plus a little more for good measure (8 hours wouldn't be bad). Then you can walk away, knowing the timer will stop in due time, and won't restart if you forget about it.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dydst
    Hey everyone,

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find the answer to this question. It relates to charging the lead acid batteries found on many of the not so new lights. Can anyone help me?

I'm getting a Cygolite Night Rover with a sealed Lead Acid battery (gel cell). Fully charged, it might last somewhere around 2 hours. I see all this stuff about how easy it is to kill your battery by totally running it down, by overcharging it, etc. If I use it for one hour every day, how often am I supposed to charge it? And for how long? Overnight, every 2 nights?

If anyone can provide insight on how they manage their batteries, I'd really appreciate the help!
    Others have already given good advice, but how old is this battery pack? I thought Cygolite replaced lead acid and nicad with NiMH some time ago. If it's been sitting on a shelf for a while discharged you may not get the full 2 hours out of it.
    To the troll mobile, away...