mtbr member
    May 2007

Heatsinking DIY lights

I was looking at the recent threads about the lupine wilma and I can't see how they heatsink their LED's. This got me to thinking about the best way to heatsink LED's. Some people use the housing as a heatsink while others sick a heatsink on the back of the LED.

What ways work and what ways fail?

Kym

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by taize
    I was looking at the recent threads about the lupine wilma and I can't see how they heatsink their LED's. This got me to thinking about the best way to heatsink LED's. Some people use the housing as a heatsink while others sick a heatsink on the back of the LED.

What ways work and what ways fail?

Kym
    Hi, have you look at the lupine page? the heatsink are a simple piece of aluminium

The best heatsink, well, a CPU heatsink are an excellent heatsink easy to get.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

I ride a Swarf
    I am assuming the wilma housing is metal also. I can see shiney bits in the bolt threads...so I guess it is.

I do know that the wilma has temp sensing. It dims the light down to prevent overheating when stationary so I guess they can get away with a smaller heatsink. I think it os worth having a controller that has lower power setings availble when not moving. It saves batteries and prevents over heating, and you don't need that much light to take a leak or fix a punny hehe.

airflow does significantly improve the thermal resistance. keeping the light cool stops the light going dimmer due to high led junction temps.

The heat form the LED needs to get soutside the light...so it should have a nice thermal (metal, aluminium is good) path to the metal casing. I don't like designs that have a heatsink enclosed with out a good thermal bond to the outside world. If its relying on the air inside between heatsink and case its going to get hot. If the housing is plastic its going to get really hot hehe.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?