Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Light freak

Heads up - Batteryspace now implementing "Hazardous Material" shipping charges

Was placing an order for batteries and noticed a new screen splash up during check out. Newly added 'Hazardous Materiel" shipping charges -

Must Read before continue:

1. Hazard Materials Shipping Regulation. Due to the Department of Transportation's regulations for shipping Lithium battery, there is an additional hazard material handling cost that UPS and FedEx charge "per box" that is NOT included as part of the shipping cost.

Domestic Ground
    $25.00/BOX

Domestic Next day/2nd Day/3rd Day
    $35.00/BOX

Canada / International
    $45.00/BOX

To make sure your packages can be shipped without delay, please also add this into the shopping cart accordingly for Li-ion/ Polymer/LiFePO4/LiMnNi battery.
    Ground HAZ MAT
    Air HAZ MAT
    Canada HAZ MAT
    International HAZ MAT

This fee is for one package only, if there is more than one package needed, we will contact you.

http://www.batteryspace.com/hazardma...dexground.aspx

OUCH!!!! Can't imagine needing to order one battery and having to pay an additional $25

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Was placing an order for batteries and noticed a new screen splash up during check out. Newly added 'Hazardous Materiel" shipping charges -

Must Read before continue:

1. Hazard Materials Shipping Regulation. Due to the Department of Transportation's regulations for shipping Lithium battery, there is an additional hazard material handling cost that UPS and FedEx charge "per box" that is NOT included as part of the shipping cost.

Domestic Ground
    $25.00/BOX

Domestic Next day/2nd Day/3rd Day
    $35.00/BOX

Canada / International
    $45.00/BOX

To make sure your packages can be shipped without delay, please also add this into the shopping cart accordingly for Li-ion/ Polymer/LiFePO4/LiMnNi battery.
    Ground HAZ MAT
    Air HAZ MAT
    Canada HAZ MAT
    International HAZ MAT

This fee is for one package only, if there is more than one package needed, we will contact you.

http://www.batteryspace.com/hazardma...dexground.aspx

OUCH!!!! Can't imagine needing to order one battery and having to pay an additional $25

I noticed that too recently. Being in Canada, the shipping charges were already pretty high, but that just takes it over the top. I realize BatterySpace probably had no choice due to regulations, but this makes it pretty unlikely I will be doing any business with them in the future.

Making this even more unlikely is the fact that lithium ion batteries shipping from overseas (china) are coming through packed pretty much the same old way without any additional shipping costs so that's where I'll be buying all my batteries.

One Gear
    That blows! No more "picking" up an extra battery just to have it. We need to start group buys just to spread out the added cost. All lights are going to go up in price as well when the manufacturers pass the added cost down to the consumers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sorry I don't know this but where is Batteryspace located?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've done business with Batteryspace for many years but this puts it over the top for me too. It's most likely a business practice that will put them out of business. I'll look forward to doing business with whoever takes over to fill the demand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot
    Sorry I don't know this but where is Batteryspace located?
    Ca. I believe. Scroll down to the bottom of the link. Looks like BS is charging $10 for Haz-Matt handling as well. Not good.

www.hahntronix.com
    I think the increased fee is really in response to increased regulation (in the USA) about what you can and can't ship by air. Some shipping services will load cargo onto passenger flights (this used to be true, but may have been discontinued since new regulations went into effect). Do you really want the seat with a few dozen gross of badly made 18650 cells in the cargo hold below it?

This will probably raise prices from the reputable manufacturers, as they see the cost they pay for batteries go up. The big winner will be companies importing cells and lighting systems from China, at least till US customs catches on and starts looking for Li-Ion batteries in all those cheap airmail packages from China.

I suggest you buy your cheap offshore batteries while you can.

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Wow

aka Chris
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mofoki
    I've done business with Batteryspace for many years but this puts it over the top for me too. It's most likely a business practice that will put them out of business. I'll look forward to doing business with whoever takes over to fill the demand.
    If the charge is required by Fedex/UPS/etc, what choice do BS have?
    The Novice's LED Light Building Blog

The requirement is a governmental one, federal for transportation (CFR 49). Hazmat regs have been around a long time, and people have misdeclared or ignored regulations when they could get away with it, but sometimes things catch up with them...and the shippers and carriers have to be in compliance with the rules (although they don't always) or risk heavy fines. Having been in transportation most of my life, it's a lot of fun to be in compliance with all of them.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    The requirement is a governmental one, federal for transportation (CFR 49). Hazmat regs have been around a long time, and people have misdeclared or ignored regulations when they could get away with it, but sometimes things catch up with them...and the shippers and carriers have to be in compliance with the rules (although they don't always) or risk heavy fines. Having been in transportation most of my life, it's a lot of fun to be in compliance with all of them.
    Yes, they have but often the government goes into "Overkill mode". Of course no one seems to care how many people bring laptops onto planes or send them through other shipping channels. Ditto that for cell phones. No one seems worried about those either.

There might be a way around this though. BatterySpace could ship through US Postal. They could then ship in a "RETURNABLE" haz-mat envelope/box. It might cost you a couple bucks to return the box but BatterySpace could refund you the cost of the box. However that $10 handling fee...they gotta do something about that. That's not gonna fly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wonder why there is such a big price difference for hazmat packs? Aren't they the same for US & international?

Hong Kong sellers also had to comply with "new hazmat rules" from January 1st. This resulted in more bubble wrap for lithium batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Yes, they have but often the government goes into "Overkill mode". Of course no one seems to care how many people bring laptops onto planes or send them through other shipping channels. Ditto that for cell phones. No one seems worried about those either.

There might be a way around this though. BatterySpace could ship through US Postal. They could then ship in a "RETURNABLE" haz-mat envelope/box. It might cost you a couple bucks to return the box but BatterySpace could refund you the cost of the box. However that $10 handling fee...they gotta do something about that. That's not gonna fly.
    Huh? Of course things can be over-regulated but if you're getting fines (and not only the carrier, but the shipper is liable as well), where do you draw the line? Just for the sake of customers who don't like it?

Found this summary of the regs which looks pretty well laid out http://www.ultralifecorp.com/documen...egulations.pdf
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 04-05-2010 at 12:22 PM.
    suum quique

Quote Originally Posted by zemike
    I wonder why there is such a big price difference for hazmat packs? Aren't they the same for US & international?

Hong Kong sellers also had to comply with "new hazmat rules" from January 1st. This resulted in more bubble wrap for lithium batteries.
    So the obvious question to me is are the hazmat rules differerent for shipments coming from China? If not, and more bubble wrap is enough to meet those rules, then why can't US sellers do the same thing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    What's with this returnable bs?
    Well....I believe it used to be called "recycling". Back in my day we used to buy soda and when you returned the bottle you got $ .02 back. I figured if you return the haz-mat container it could be reused, hence you should get some if not all the money money back for the container/packaging...just an idea. Otherwise I think BatterySpace will go out of business. Of course if they handle all of their orders through an overseas shipper...

Well....I believe it used to be called "recycling". Back in my day we used to buy soda and when you returned the bottle you got $ .02 back. I figured if you return the haz-mat container it could be reused, hence you should get some if not all the money money back for the container/packaging...just an idea. Otherwise I think BatterySpace will go out of business. Of course if they handle all of their orders through an overseas shipper...
    Got me before I reconsidered and deleted all evidence of that comment...

Back in "my day" we also had the 2 cent deposit return (when 2 cents wasn't too bad, either)...or was it just 1 cent? I forget, that was a long time ago.

The cost of handling the return, let alone any refund would make it unfeasible. Although, maybe, should it get "regulated", could be required like today's CRV...then the battery guys would probably have to charge even more to handle it...
    suum quique

Light freak
    Not sure what the $10 fee is for?? But I put 1x $31.95 battery in my cart and the only option is the $25, $35, and $45 fees. Bunk I say!!

www.hahntronix.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick
    So the obvious question to me is are the hazmat rules differerent for shipments coming from China? If not, and more bubble wrap is enough to meet those rules, then why can't US sellers do the same thing?
    I believe as far as USA shipments go, the Chinese are subject to the same restrictions, at least on the USA end. Eventually the USPS (postal service) or Customs will figure out that there are packages containing hazardous materials coming over from China, marked as something innocuous (mine usually say something like flashlight). They will then start returning those packages to China. It's one of the things that pisses me off about competing with the Chinese. If I get caught breaking a rule like that, I can in theory get thrown in jail or fined a bazillion dollars or both, they get their merchandise returned and get told don't do that.

Order your hazardous batteries and cell phone jammers while you can.

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

help with the zip please
    Bloody Hell, I thought their exorbitant shipping costs already allowed for that. How else can you explain $80 + to ship single items to Aus?

Long since lost interest in doing business with this company

Light freak
    Just checked with the local Batteries Plus. They don't deal with Li-Ion. Said they need a special "controlled" room to handle Li-Ion's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Regulations have been there a while actually. You also have to label with the Wh's on now as well. ie 14.8V 2.6Ah 38.48Wh. If youre battery is >100Wh you have even more restrictions put on you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Not sure what the $10 fee is for?? But I put 1x $31.95 battery in my cart and the only option is the $25, $35, and $45 fees. Bunk I say!!
    Scar, You might have to start buying from All-battery.com
    So far I don't see any special hazmat fee on their web site.
    They do sell the two-cell setups similar to the ones you use only you would
    probably have to special order them so that they would come with the
    Trail-tech connectors ( * didn't see Trailtech type connectors on their web site.). Not sure how much more that would cost but if you bought
    in bulk it should be cheaper and certainly less time consuming than trying to build your own batteries....That is of course as long as there is not the ...ummm....hidden shipping fee somewhere.

Scar, You might have to start buying from All-battery.com
    So far I don't see any special hazmat fee on their web site.
    They do sell the two-cell setups similar to the ones you use only you would
    probably have to special order them so that they would come with the
    Trail-tech connectors ( * didn't see Trailtech type connectors on their web site.). Not sure how much more that would cost but if you bought
    in bulk it should be cheaper and certainly less time consuming than trying to build your own batteries....That is of course as long as there is not the ...ummm....hidden shipping fee somewhere.
    I have a feeling they've hidden it in the shipping price because a single $30 LiPo pack is almost $60 to ship to Canada via FedEx International Express.

Light freak

Maybe ultra capacitors will become mainstream

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick
    I have a feeling they've hidden it in the shipping price because a single $30 LiPo pack is almost $60 to ship to Canada via FedEx International Express.
    nope all-battery pricing on $80 of lith ions are $12 shipping

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast