mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Headband Mounted Lights: Anyone Try for Riding?

On the market now are these newer headband mounted lights. One in particular has a three-watt LED that will last for 140 hours on AAA batteries. Anyone ever try these for riding? Or do these bulbs burn out too fast for night riding. They seem pretty good otherwise, waterproof and it looks like you can mount them to a helmet.

I don't want to spend $200+ on lights. Sure the new HID lights are nice, but $300-$400 is way too much for me, and I probably am not really going to night ride much.

What about some other light options?

mtbr member
    Your not going to get enough light out of the LED system unless maybe its one of the high powered Cateyes and then they still cant beat the HID lights. The LED lights are often used as emergency backup lights to an HID. If you are looking for the most light for the least amount of money check out the Nitehawk Dual Pro for $100 over at Nashbar. For $100 bucks you get a 20w halogen and a 10w halogen. The downside on this deal is that you only get 66 minutes of burn on the 20 watt light. I have two 10 watt halogen lights and they are only slightly better than worthless for serious night riding. They would be ok for street riding but when your on a trail you really need to see well and not over run your lights. The Nitehawk mentioned is a good deal if your not looking for a long run time. Otherwise I would looks for a 20 watt light with a longer burn time if you want to go cheap.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    On the market now are these newer headband mounted lights. One in particular has a three-watt LED that will last for 140 hours on AAA batteries. Anyone ever try these for riding? Or do these bulbs burn out too fast for night riding. They seem pretty good otherwise, waterproof and it looks like you can mount them to a helmet.

I don't want to spend $200+ on lights. Sure the new HID lights are nice, but $300-$400 is way too much for me, and I probably am not really going to night ride much.

You would literaly have to ride at a walking pace to use one of the LED headlamps out there, they just don't put out the kind of lumens necessary for night riding.

10 watt halogen is OK for going uphill on non technical terrain, but a 20 watt halogen is minimum IMHO when you start approaching 10 mph +. Just what I've found from my recent experimentation.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member

Homemade lights

Quote Originally Posted by myitch

I know several guys who use homemade lights. It's rechargeable batteries, halogen bulbs, PVC pipe, monster cable, etc. mounted to the helmet with all the stuff bought from Home Depot. These guys said total cost was about 80 bucks or so and the lights put out about 30-40 watts of halogen power. They have used the lights in 24 hour team races. They were the brightest lights in the 24-hour circuit prior to the emergence of HID lights.

If you're pretty handy, pretty cheap, and pretty persistent, this is an option. Do a google search for "homemade bike lights". There are all sorts of ideas out there. One website even had links to purchase each individual part.

Ditto to what the other two guys said: LED's are worthless for night-bike off-roading!!

......and also, money saved on the lights has a high potential of being spent in hospital bills.

Ponch

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    homemade lights? i like that idea. i am cheap, like to fiddle with things, and this would be original...at least with the folks i ride with. great idea.

good analogy to compare the savings wasted on crash results at night. so no LED here.