mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Have I screwed up?

I've been fiddling with my first light and I've run into a problem. I put togehter one of the Cutter kits with triple XPG's and a bFlex driver and put it in a Marwi housing. It all went together smoothly and worked great. Then I decided to mess with success... I installed an led indicator light to show when the light was on. I tested the light while it was still apart and both main LED and indicator light functioned. Reassembled everything back into the housing and fired it up - nothing.

I took it apart and found one of the leads to the triple PCB had come loose and I resoldered it. still nothing. While testing the circuit with a multi meter I touched the positive probe to lead and the lights came on!

Could I have gotten something into the positive hole in the PCB that is acting as an insulator or have I screwed up the PCB with too much soldering?

I've attached a close-up photo of the PCB to see if anyone can see damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have I screwed up?-led-pcb-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Use a meter to see if you have continuity (ohm range) from the wiring solder points to the LED solder points.

It "looks" like the copper is missing from the thru holes - you can scrape some of the black solder mask off the PCB to get access to the remaining traces...

cheers,
    george.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    George,

Thanks for the info. I'll do as you suggested. When you say the copper is missing from the thru holes. What do you mean? Were there strands of copper that went through the holes to complete the circuit? Did my repeated soldering destroy the copper? As is obvious, I'm new to this, and I'm trying not to make the same mistake too many times.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Where the + and - are on your board there's 2 holes that you (appear to need to) solder to. There appears to be no copper (from what I can see in the picture) - how can you solder to those two points??

cheers,
    george.