mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here. Has anyone used a Dualcross 200?

Is anyone using this light? I've seen reviews for the 300 version and the Li-Ion version but not the 200. I'm wondering what the major differences are between these models since the 200 is the cheapest of the three.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    the difference is the fast charger or overnight charger per the cygolite website
    ordered the dualcross 200 for $130 from REI using the $20 off coupon on monday.
    supposed to be here tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yes, the only difference between the two is the charger.

I bought one and ended up exchanging it for a Double Shot which I prefer. The problem that I see with the Dualcross is that it is the only high power led light that uses a plastic casing, which btw has only two small ventilation slots. There is some thin heatsink between the leds and the plastic casing but IMO that is not enought to assure that the leds will remain cool and not be affected by overheating. The Double shot and all other comparable led lights has an alloy casing that acts as heatsink and helps with the temperature.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the comments JZ19. I contacted Cygolite to ask about the casing material, and they said they used the same engineering plastic on the Dualcross as they used on their HID light. This plastic they say, is used by other light manufactures such as Nite Rider and Light & Motion, is stronger than regular plastics, and made to withstand the high heat of the HID (gets hotter then the LED). I ended up ordering the DualCross so we’ll see how it goes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racp
    Thanks for the comments JZ19. I contacted Cygolite to ask about the casing material, and they said they used the same engineering plastic on the Dualcross as they used on their HID light. This plastic they say, is used by other light manufactures such as Nite Rider and Light & Motion, is stronger than regular plastics, and made to withstand the high heat of the HID (gets hotter then the LED). I ended up ordering the DualCross so we’ll see how it goes.
    racp, after you get it in can you post your thoughts? This is one of the lights on my short list that I am looking at.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by racp
    Actually I was never concerned about the casing melting. I believe that the case is strong enough to handle the heat but I suspect that it might make the leds overheat, reducing their brightness over time. Leds produce a lot of heat and there is not much heatsink in the Dualcross and all of it is enclosed by plastic and the plastic does not transfer heat to the exterior. I just don't think that the difference in price between the Dualcross and the Double Shot is worth the risk.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Plastic / heat / LED

As mentioned, with LEDs, the plastic casing of a light is a major issue, not for overheating the casing, but for getting the heat away from the LED. HID and halogens are negligibly affected by heat so as long as the case doesn't melt, they are fine, LEDs on the other hand are VERY negatively affected by heat, so getting it away from the LED and out of the case is the #1 priority. A plastic case insulates the LED, holding it in, compared to an exposed metal housing with a direct thermal path to the LED to get the heat out quickly.
    Look at the new K2 emitters from Night Hawk for instance, or the Cats Eye LEDs, and you'll see the extensive ventilation/heatsinking designed into the housings. Not just for show, it's to get the heat out ASAP.

person
    I posted a review on the dual cross 200 about a week ago. Here's the link

Cygolite Dual Cross 200 / HiFlux 200 Review

I took them out for the first time on my local loop. I use them w/ a Hiflux 200 on my helmet. They're amazing, I was able to ride same speeds I usually do. The Loop is typical of New England Singletrack; tight w/ a lota rocks a roots. I think you'll be really happy w/ them.

-Dave
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch