mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Has anyone made an extension cable

for the DiNotte 200L-AA-S? I emailed DiNotte about an extension cable for the AA and they said the cable/connection system does not lend itself to an extension cable, but some users have made extension cables. WHAT? Not suitable, but it has been done? Doesn't make sense. If the connectors are good enough for their AA systems, why wouldn't they be good enough for an extension cable? Anyway, if anyone has made such a cable, I would like to know your source for the male and female 9 volt connectors and cable. Dennis
    Last edited by denmikseb; 11-17-2007 at 04:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I just cut into the cable, spliced in some extra length and covered in shrink. Works fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I thought of that but I want to be able to use the light as a long cable version on my mtb and short cable on my road bike.

mtbr member
    The snap connectors (same as a 9V battery) do not hold that well under vibrating conditions, some users have had intermittent connection issues that cause the light to stop working until you unplug it, and reconnect. I have not had any issues since I put an extra strap around the battery pack to keep it from bouncing around.

We have make extensions, and they work fine if you press the 2 connectors together onto the helmet with a velcro strap. The snap connectors disconnect easily, and can become loose with age. It's also easy to shorting out your battery if you let the connector touch your frame or bars... One of the guys had 2 extra battery packs in his hydration pack, but the connectors touched each other, and his pack got really hot. Now everyone puts the extra battery packs in separate zip-lock bags.

Try it with the battery on the helmet first, you can move the battery around until your helmet is balanced. Heavy lights are most annoying when they push your helmet down over your eyes, like Nightrider HID's are prone to do...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    radio shack

heavy duty end caps on both ends of a cable but reverse the + - on one end the cables....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hmmm...It sure sounds like the PP3 connectors are a weak link in an otherwise outstanding light system. Even DiNotte says that (in so many words) in their email to me. I wonder why DiNotte doesn't change it to a better connector, similar to their Li cables? It's as if they are cutting corners on their AA light systems. Even cheaper brands have better connectors, I think I will do a little more research before I make a final decision on buying a light (Here we go again!).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Deleted

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ggg300 - I will keep that in mind in case I decide to go with the DiNotte AA. I could just go with the LI and all would be fine, but I can't justify paying over $200 on a bike light. Right now the fenix is looking good to me again.
    Last edited by denmikseb; 11-17-2007 at 11:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by denmikseb
    ggg300 - I will keep that in mind in case I decide to go with the DiNotte AA. I could just go with the LI and all would be fine, but I can't justify paying over $200 on a bike light. Right now the fenix is looking good to me again.

There is a lot of things you can pick from and get the same amount of light for less...

Consider that most will advise that you get two light, bar and helmet mount...

If you went with the 200L for both you would spend over 200 and get about 400 lum of light...

If you went a Fenix light and another 200L light you would spend less and have about the same light... http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=LT0522

There is also a http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3786

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ggg300
    There is a lot of things you can pick from and get the same amount of light for less...

Consider that most will advise that you get two light, bar and helmet mount...

If you went with the 200L for both you would spend over 200 and get about 400 lum of light...

If you went a Fenix light and another 200L light you would spend less and have about the same light... http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=LT0522

There is also a http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3786
    I do have a decent halogen set (6w and 10w) on the bars, that has served me well to this point. It is only now that I am starting to get into more technical riding that I ASSUME I will need a helmet light. I should try some night riding on the tech trail to see how well the bar lights do without a helmet light, but I am sure I will need a helmet light. I may even need better bar lights when all is said and done! ADDED EDIT: Those are some interesting possibilities on the sites you listed, AND an flashlight doesn't have a cable (Isn't that what started this whole thing?).

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I do have a decent halogen set (6w and 10w) on the bars, that has served me well to this point. It is only now that I am starting to get into more technical riding that I ASSUME I will need a helmet light. I should try some night riding on the tech trail to see how well the bar lights do without a helmet light, but I am sure I will need a helmet light. I may even need better bar lights when all is said and done! ADDED EDIT: Those are some interesting possibilities on the sites you listed, AND an flashlight doesn't have a cable (Isn't that what started this whole thing?).
    From what I understand, 200 lum is about 12w...I have a 5w and a 15w and I think it is a good rule of thumb...

If you have the halogen set up right now, just get a flash light...

Get the 45 buck one listed and give it a try...its cheap and all you may need...
    It will give you a feel for LED and go from there,,,and no cables,,,it sounds like a good back up light any how...

mtbr member
    I made one using connectors from Radio Shack, but I found the light would kick into low sooner when I used the extension cable. I think that the connectors had too much resistance -- that's my guess anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ggg300. I think I will take your advice. Also I just saw the NR Sol Mate at AE BIKE for $125, and I like what I see, in spite of the proprietary battery. Maybe I was a little too determined to get a DiNotte. I will start with the flashlight, if I need more I will look at others beside just DiNotte. I would like a little wider beam than a flashlight, or is there a good LED flashlight that has a wider beam than others?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by James@GearReview
    I made one using connectors from Radio Shack, but I found the light would kick into low sooner when I used the extension cable. I think that the connectors had too much resistance -- that's my guess anyway.
    Yeah, I think the connectors are the weak point of DiNotte's AA systems. With the increasing competition in the LED bike light field they need to improve those connectors instead of resting on their laurels. ADDED: If you lost run time by adding extra connectors I wonder how much run time is lost with just the original connectors?
    Last edited by denmikseb; 11-19-2007 at 06:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ggg300. I think I will take your advice. Also I just saw the NR Sol Mate at AE BIKE for $125, and I like what I see, in spite of the proprietary battery. Maybe I was a little too determined to get a DiNotte. I will start with the flashlight, if I need more I will look at others beside just DiNotte. I would like a little wider beam than a flashlight, or is there a good LED flashlight that has a wider beam than others?
    I have 3 200L DiNotte and ride a road bike...it works for me...two on the bars and one on the helmet...if I were to do it over, I'd go with a flash light on the helmet due to the longer reported beam/throw...I get plenty of spill for road bike use w/ two 200L's.

DiNotte is a great lil company, they take care of their customers, and I recommend them but they do cost $$...not as much as others but not the cheapest either...

The Knog Gator 105 Rechargeable LED and has 32 degree flood high (200 lumens)...sounds like a bit...

When you get the flash light you will see the color of the light is different and you will be able to see it w/ your current set up...I got the LEDs 1st then got the halogen lights for a buddy, but he did not want them after all so I am stuck with them...(they are now back up lights)...IMOH, the price on the LEDs will be coming down over time and it may be worth it to hold out a bit if you have a 6w/10w set up...

Take a look

http://stores.ebay.com/Allteamgo_Bik...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=180292

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ggg300
    I have 3 200L DiNotte and ride a road bike...it works for me...two on the bars and one on the helmet...if I were to do it over, I'd go with a flash light on the helmet due to the longer reported beam/throw...I get plenty of spill for road bike use w/ two 200L's.

DiNotte is a great lil company, they take care of their customers, and I recommend them but they do cost $$...not as much as others but not the cheapest either...

The Knog Gator 105 Rechargeable LED and has 32 degree flood high (200 lumens)...sounds like a bit...

When you get the flash light you will see the color of the light is different and you will be able to see it w/ your current set up...I got the LEDs 1st then got the halogen lights for a buddy, but he did not want them after all so I am stuck with them...(they are now back up lights)...IMOH, the price on the LEDs will be coming down over time and it may be worth it to hold out a bit if you have a 6w/10w set up...

Take a look

http://stores.ebay.com/Allteamgo_Bik...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=180292
    Funny you should mention the Knog, I just was looking at it. I wonder how well the silicon would hold up to the wear and tear of an MTB. And WOW...That flashlight has my attention. First time I've seen that brand, too bad I forgot the name already, will have to go back and look. ADDED: Laponi - I guess its not really a flashlight since it has a separate battery pack. I'm getting tired of having to sign in everytime I go to a different thread or want to post; are you having the same problem?
    Last edited by denmikseb; 11-19-2007 at 06:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Hmmm...It sure sounds like the PP3 connectors are a weak link in an otherwise outstanding light system. Even DiNotte says that (in so many words) in their email to me. I wonder why DiNotte doesn't change it to a better connector, similar to their Li cables? It's as if they are cutting corners on their AA light systems. Even cheaper brands have better connectors, I think I will do a little more research before I make a final decision on buying a light (Here we go again!).
    The Snap connector is cheap and easy to get, and allows you to use an easily obtainable $2 battery holder with AA's. For those of us who like to DIY, it's a nice option. In practice, the system works pretty well, and you can source extra battery packs locally and inexpensively.
    It's also a good idea to use a different connector than those on the LiIon batteries so you don't mix then up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    The Snap connector is cheap and easy to get, and allows you to use an easily obtainable $2 battery holder with AA's. For those of us who like to DIY, it's a nice option. In practice, the system works pretty well, and you can source extra battery packs locally and inexpensively.
    It's also a good idea to use a different connector than those on the LiIon batteries so you don't mix then up.
    I agree with all you said, but if I am going to pay say...$80+ for lights I would expect perhaps a decent halogen with gel cell battery and dumb charger, but still good plug-in connectors. Once I am paying a good deal over $100 I expect higher tech lights and accessories and certainly more than pp3 connectors even in the AA powered lights (I LIKE the rechargeable AA batteries). Those connectors and battery holders do have their place with DIY'ers, but not with manufacturers who specialize in making high-tech, high priced bike lights, IMO. Do other companies use these cheap connectors? I don't know, that's why I'm asking. I might still buy the Dinotte's, maybe even the Lithium's, I am only picking on Dinotte because I am disappointed with an obvious cost-cutter for the AA battery users. Other brands probably also cut corners in their low to mid priced lights, I am just not aware of it yet.
    Last edited by denmikseb; 11-20-2007 at 07:23 PM.

mtbr member
    I agree with all you said, but if I am going to pay say...$80+ for lights I would expect perhaps a decent halogen with gel cell battery and dumb charger, but still good plug-in connectors. Once I am paying a good deal over $100 I expect higher tech lights and accessories and certainly more than pp3 connectors even in the AA powered lights (I LIKE the rechargeable AA batteries). Those connectors and battery holders do have their place with DIY'ers, but not with manufacturers who specialize in making high-tech, high priced bike lights, IMO. Do other companies use these cheap connectors? I don't know, that's why I'm asking. I might still buy the Dinotte's, maybe even the Lithium's, I am only picking on Dinotte because I am disappointed with an obvious cost-cutter for the AA battery users. Other brands probably also cut corners in their low to mid priced lights, I am just not aware of it yet.
    Oddly enough, I don't consider the snap connectors "cost cutters", I think of them as a desirable feature. The engineers in out group like them too - but maybe you shouldn't use them as examples, they are the worst at maintaining their rides...

I've had many co-axial connectors, and niterider proprietary connectors act up too - dirt, cheap plating, wear, corrosion etc... With the snap connectors, you can just bend them back in a bit - or replace them.

However, if you don't like them, you can always get the Li-Ion versions, they use a decent water-proof coaxial connector. We have not had any long term experience with them, but it looks like a quality connector. The higher end battery and connector are reflected in the price. (most of our group use the AA version, I picked up a Li-Ion version to try out this year - although my wife uses it most of the time)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    Oddly enough, I don't consider the snap connectors "cost cutters", I think of them as a desirable feature. The engineers in out group like them too - but maybe you shouldn't use them as examples, they are the worst at maintaining their rides...

I've had many co-axial connectors, and niterider proprietary connectors act up too - dirt, cheap plating, wear, corrosion etc... With the snap connectors, you can just bend them back in a bit - or replace them.

However, if you don't like them, you can always get the Li-Ion versions, they use a decent water-proof coaxial connector. We have not had any long term experience with them, but it looks like a quality connector. The higher end battery and connector are reflected in the price. (most of our group use the AA version, I picked up a Li-Ion version to try out this year - although my wife uses it most of the time)
    I have been basing my thoughts on a few bad comments about the pp3 connectors used by DiNotte. To be fair, I have never seen the light or connection in person, just on-line. Now that there are some more favorable comments I will say maybe I am being a little too hard on DiNotte. Their lights are back in contention, but this board has really opened my eyes to the many choices available, not just the dedicated bike lights. All light makers better keep an eye on the newest Chinese lights. I know they have been making high power LED flashlights that may be suitable as bike lights, but now I have just seen a high power LED BIKE LIGHT on ebay for a fraction of the cost of the well known brands. It looks like a good light and more will come soon.

mtbr member
    I have been basing my thoughts on a few bad comments about the pp3 connectors used by DiNotte. To be fair, I have never seen the light or connection in person, just on-line. Now that there are some more favorable comments I will say maybe I am being a little too hard on DiNotte. Their lights are back in contention, but this board has really opened my eyes to the many choices available, not just the dedicated bike lights. All light makers better keep an eye on the newest Chinese lights. I know they have been making high power LED flashlights that may be suitable as bike lights, but now I have just seen a high power LED BIKE LIGHT on ebay for a fraction of the cost of the well known brands. It looks like a good light and more will come soon.
    I've been tempted to pick up a 3x Cree unit from AllTeamGo on eBay (Hong Kong source) to play with, but shipping doubles the price...

If the DiNottes have one true weakness, that is the AA battery packs are easily shorted, and not auto-fused. Spares shorted in your hydration pack are easily spotted by the smoke & heat.