Big Wheel Homer !!

Hard case for digital SLR

I'm looking for a hard case, something similar to a Pelican, to carry a dSLR along on the trails. It needs to be small enough to carry in a wingnut pack, about 7" wide max and 4-4.5" tall. The Pelican cases are close in size but the correct width in not tall enough. The camera body is 3.6" tall x 5.4" wide x 2.7" long (about 5" including the lens). Any suggestion?

BBW
    mtbr member
    get a pelican, larger box and fill what's left with foam to keep it from shifting

banned
    I'm actually looking for a case for my new dSLR. Relay back what you find.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    get a pelican, larger box and fill what's left with foam to keep it from shifting
    The Pelican case (model 1150) is the right width to fit in my pack but the inside height is only 3.62", not much room for padding with the camera height being 3.6". The next size (model 1200) is tall enough but is 9.68" wide and won't fit in the Wingnut.

mtbr member
    A hard case will only help protect your camera from a crushing blow- the camera falls off and someone behind you runs over it, and then it needs to be pretty darn hard. For protection from bouncing get the most padding you can.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    I'll throw some advice out there from a rider/SLR user. There is no way I would pack a hard case around for my SLR. The effort involved in unpacking/repacking your camera would really deter you from pulling it out much.

For years I have thrown my digital SLR loose into a pack and never had an issue of any kind.

mtbr member
    Look at Otter cases, I use one for my SLR and it is a bit taller than the Pelican case, other than that pretty much the same. However, I have to agree with motzart, and I do not carry the hard case on rides. It is far too much work to pull it out for a couple pics here and there. I do love it when I go canoing or kayaking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Try the Storm Case from Hardigg found here:

http://www.stormcase.com/StormSizeList.htm

There are some alternate sizes to Pelican, you won't be disapointed.

Great quality and strength, I have several. (use to work there)

mtbr member
    Wow those Hardigg cases are nice. I just got a small blow-molded Platt case to safely store my lights and batteries in between night rides. After a ride I charge the batteries, then stow everything in the case and put it in the car so it's ready to go next time. The cases are pretty light and tough, and the inside is configurable foam to secure and protect the contents. They come in a ton of sizes. Google Platt, or have a look here: http://www.arcade-electronics.com/pl...d%20cases.aspx

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    I'll throw some advice out there from a rider/SLR user. There is no way I would pack a hard case around for my SLR. The effort involved in unpacking/repacking your camera would really deter you from pulling it out much.

For years I have thrown my digital SLR loose into a pack and never had an issue of any kind.
    No way I put a $1k camera in my pack unprotected. It's not my intension's to use this as a every ride camera, it would only be carried on special trips/group rides and on those occasions I can find time to take out the case to take some pictures. Now, maybe in a couple of years if I upgrade my dSLR I might consider throwing the old one in the pack, but not a brand new camera.

I found this case, it's the smallest size I would find that the camera would fit in and still have some padding. Jerk Chicken I'll let you know how everything fits when I get it.

On your left!
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    No way I put a $1k camera in my pack unprotected. It's not my intension's to use this as a every ride camera, it would only be carried on special trips/group rides and on those occasions I can find time to take out the case to take some pictures. Now, maybe in a couple of years if I upgrade my dSLR I might consider throwing the old one in the pack, but not a brand new camera.

I found this case, it's the smallest size I would find that the camera would fit in and still have some padding. Jerk Chicken I'll let you know how everything fits when I get it.
    don't fall When I ride with my dslr in the pack I'm well aware of what($$$)I'm carrying and definitely make it a point to chill out and not push myself to the point where I might have to bail out.
    99 GF Big Sur SS 32x16
    07 GF HiFi Pro

02 Subaru WRX wagon
    06 Suzuki DRZ 450 SM

On your left!
    Apr 2007
    Or fall, understanding that a DSLR can take more abuse than most folks believe they can. If riding with a DSLR made me chill out/not push myself I wouldn't ride with one.
    well to each his own but I'm probably not going 10\10ths with a potential $1000+ mistake waiting to happen. that said, camera time is usually reserved for riding with a lady friend(read as: SLOW)
    99 GF Big Sur SS 32x16
    07 GF HiFi Pro

02 Subaru WRX wagon
    06 Suzuki DRZ 450 SM

mtbr member
    Have you considered a front pack? that way you don't have to take the pack off to pull out the camera.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    no case needed, been riding with a Nikon DSLR in my HAWG for years without a problem... cases & extra packs seem like such a hassle...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ya i would vote on not falling too then you don't have to worry hehe. I haven't ridden with my dslr but i have a backpack that's made for it that would protect it pretty good unless i landed squarely on my back. But i guess that is what your worried about. And if i did land squarely on my back i don't know if i would want a huge hard case digging into my back. Or maybe get the smaller case and carry the lens sepearte.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I don't use a hardcase. I use Da Kine Sequence backpack supplemented with additional foam I cut to match. Use it snowboarding and trail riding. On bike i haven't bailed too much with it, snowboarding have numerous times. Deploying it is pretty quick. That's pretty important. Unless you're setting up a rig for a pro type shot, usually don't have the time to stop, open bag, open up a hard case, and then put everything back. As it is, I'm cramming the camera back in bag and hopping back on bike trying to catch up with everyone else. And yeah, good camera equipment is pretty robust. I dropped my 1st DSLR with brand new L lens from a 3 ft high wall onto asphalt and near gave myself a heartattack. Lens hood is your friend, I'm quite sure that saved a lot of damage. I carry a ziploc in case of rain.