mtbr member
    Jan 2010

H6Flex 6.6Amp Adjustable Buck released

Hi Folks, in case some of you don't frequent CPF, I've released the H6Flex driver. Basically hipflex's bigger brother (though 0.1" smaller in diameter).

The H6Flex feature summary:

- Buck driver (21V or 5 li-ion max input)
    - Has 7 current tables, 1400mA, 2000mA, 2800mA, 3600mA, 4000mA, 5600mA and 6600mA
    - All the standard Flex features like voltage and temperature monitoring.
    - Designed to drive Luminous SST50 type LEDs or underdriven SST90 LEDs. Obviously also capable of driving other LEDs at lower output currents (lower current tables).
    - Low output is ~30mA, so even on the 6600mA current table you can dim the LED way down if needed for emergency use etc.

Pics of top & bottom below, components only on the top side (board is 1.3" in diameter).

The red areas are the key thermal areas from the top side of the board. They should be in good thermal contact with the supplied thermal pad material to the user's heatsink area.

Product & tech info on my website.

cheers,
    george.

Light freak

Since you support CPF..

please support MTBR and purchase a classified ad for $2

mtbr member
    May 2005
    As there are no screw holes in the pcb, mounting it "in good thermal contact with the supplied thermal pad material to the user's heatsink area" looks like a bit of a PITA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    A lot of of folk will use pressure above the board to hold the board in place.

There is also double sided thermal adhesive pad material that I can supply - I just need to order more of it.

Screw holes would mean tapping the heatsink which is beyond the capability of a lot of folk and it would also mean the board would have to be physically larger. The aim and request from some folk was to have it be able to fit a Mag D body and hence the 1.3" diameter.

cheers,
    george.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    please support MTBR and purchase a classified ad for $2

Done

cheers,
    george.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by georges80
    A lot of of folk will use pressure above the board to hold the board in place.
    That works. That is how I retained the bFlex in my single MC-E light to hold the microprocessor in contact with the housing. Downside is it usually requires fabbing up another part out of a non-conductive material that can apply pressure without fatiguing over time and heat cycles.

There is also double sided thermal adhesive pad material that I can supply - I just need to order more of it.
    I like that! Make it an option when ordering a board?

it would also mean the board would have to be physically larger. The aim and request from some folk was to have it be able to fit a Mag D body and hence the 1.3" diameter.
    Understand completely. We all want that magic driver that will push lots of current, have an outstanding feature set, and occupy no space in the housing. Oh, and BTW have it cost less!

Light freak
    Hey George thanks for supporting MTBR with the ad

Unfortunately, you didn't do yourself any favors by putting it in the "Other Components" section. Should have put it in the "Lights" section as that is where people would be looking for stuff like your drivers.

Here is the link to George's ad - http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=52845&cat=29

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Hey George thanks for supporting MTBR with the ad

Unfortunately, you didn't do yourself any favors by putting it in the "Other Components" section. Should have put it in the "Lights" section as that is where people would be looking for stuff like your drivers.

Here is the link to George's ad - http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=52845&cat=29

Thanks Scar, but in reality the 'ad' was really my small $ contribution to mtbr, most folk already know my drivers and this thread was just to make folk that have been waiting aware that the h6flex is now shipping. Not everyone here hangs out at cpf or checks my website every day

cheers,
    george.

Light freak
    All of "old timers" know your products very well, but there are so many new people on this forum anymore - never hurts.

recognize the slowness
    George,

would this be the right choice instead of running 2 P7's in series I could run them in paralel? I had some $$ holdups and haven't finished my light that I started.

BTW, Anyone want to buy some extra P7's I have? Only to help finish my current project and not a profit thing...
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jbflyfshr
    George,

would this be the right choice instead of running 2 P7's in series I could run them in paralel? I had some $$ holdups and haven't finished my light that I started.

BTW, Anyone want to buy some extra P7's I have? Only to help finish my current project and not a profit thing...

Yes, h6flex could drive the two P7's in parallel (use the 5600mA current table).

The MAIN proviso is to use well matched P7's - i.e. similar/same Vf so that the current is reasonably equally shared between the 2 LEDs.

My test bench setup (since I'm too cheap to buy SST50's or 90's) is a parallel set of P7's. I can run 2 P7's in parallel as a 'single LED' or I can run 3 series strings or 2xP7's in parallel to approximate 3 series SST50's. But then my test bench is using P7 mules versus P7 race horses i.e. I don't care if they suffer during my tests...

cheers,
    george.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    George, I know the Maxflex had some thermal challenges when running near the limits and one had to be pretty careful to provide good heatsinking so as not to overheat the switcher IC. Is the H6Flex as sensitive or does having the whole bottom side of the board as a heatsink path resolve those concerns?

** edit ** I just realized this is a buck rather than a boost driver so likely the above question isn't relevant. I wonder if we'll ever see a high current version of the Maxflex or do thermal issues make that unlikely?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Higher current on a boost is always problematic since input currents are always higher than output and efficiency takes a real dive when the input voltage drops lower and lower which means even more input current and of course much higher heat losses.

So, higher power maxflex drivers are not too likely. Look at my hyperboost for what happens when you want more power - the driver becomes larger and external power devices (FETs) become necessary. All means bigger drivers.

H6CC and H6Flex are both very stable at higher output currents - due in part to being buck converters and in part due to the large amount of heatsinking area on the back of the boards. All the 'hot' devices have direct thermal paths to the rear of the boards and with thermal pad or thermal adhesive material heat is easily transferred to a heatsink.

I just released to my assy house a new bFlex driver (I'm calling in bFlex15) which is the same size as the old bFlex but the new one has a new switcher core that can output up to 1.5A. It has 2 new current tables in the menu to support 1.2 and 1.5A outputs. All the standard flex software options are of course supported in the new bflex15. Hopefully I'll have stock from the assy house in 4 - 6 weeks.

cheers,
    george.