Capricious youth...

Got my Exposure Enduro MaXx yesterday...

Now, I haven't done a ride with it yet, but I did take it out of the boXx ( ) and fire it up in a well lit room, and my completely dark living room/hallway, and my completely dark backyard. All I can say is, "Wow".

Amazing brightness. Coming from night riding with nothing more than a helmet mount Nite Hawk 400 Lumen LED that was basically a spot-light at best, this thing is amazing. It's light weight, feels very, very solid, and the quick release light mount seems very sturdy and well built.

A solid shout-out to Steve at Ibex Sports for his help and amazing customer service, and beyond-speedy response times.

Another shout out to Francois for getting the word out on MTBR about these lights in the first place. I'm very happy thus far. I'll be happier when I'm using it on my bike.

I've got a night ride planned for Tuesday of next week. I'll try to take some photos and post up again with a post-ride review.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Congrats

It's definitely a cool and innovative light. James and Steve seem to both be very stand-up guys and that makes a big difference as well. I would absolutely love to get this one but I have too much money invested in mine and I'm very happy- still would not mind owning this one and putting it on the GF's bike to get her into night riding

Keep us posted and compare the light to others when you ride with friends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did you only get the one light? Because of your budget? Im really interested in the Maxx and Joystick combo. I want to know more about how the lights look and work together on the trail. I love the idea of no wires. I just can't wrap my head around lumens etc, when trying to figure out how bright something will be...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't worry too much about Lumens. I look at that as a raw # like horsepower at the crank of a motorcycle. Anything over 500 will start to be pretty bright, regardless of any loss of light. The combo you mention will be awesome. The helmet light weight almost nothing. Having a bar light with a battery enclosed will feel awkward for a while but I'm sure you will get used to it. I like the wireless concept but actually prefer keeping my battery in a centralized location (water bottle cage) to keep the weight symmetrical and balanced and not much weight on the bar itself. Like I said, you can easily get used to a little extra weight on one side but it will feel funky at first..

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'd worry that the joystick would snag on something, like a branch, while riding. Other than that I like the concept.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cino
    I'd worry that the joystick would snag on something, like a branch, while riding. Other than that I like the concept.
    I'd think any helmet light could snag on the right branch. Besides, if it popped off, I'm sure it's bright enough you could find it again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mount it lower towards the front and significantly reduce the chances of it snagging on a branch.

Capricious youth...
    Planning the first night ride with the Enduro Maxx tomorrow night.

I'll post up a review.

*bling bling*
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cino
    I have been using the Joystick now for a couple of years with out an issue in this regard. Riding here in the thickets of Maine...The new joystick is even smaller. You can secure the Joystick to your helmet with a lanyard or small piece of accessory cord if it concerns you.
    Side note; I made a custom mount for my climbing helmet last year when I attempted Mt. Rainier. It is basically a small piece of a carbon steerer tube from an old fork that spaces out the helmet mount. It was awesome using this light on our summit attempt at 3 am on the mountain....
    I will use the same mount with the new joystick for any alpine style climbs this winter...The light has uses in a lot of areas, IMHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I have had the Exposure Maxx for 2 weeks and use it combined with a L&M solo Mv on helmet. As a combo, it is absolutely fantastic. I have setup the Exposure Maxx to see at medium to long range and the L&M as a spotlight in front of the bike. The Exposure has a very bright white light that gives a very good contrast and good spread. Used as a combo, I can ride at a similar speed as during daytime without a problem.
    However, I used the Exposure on it's own on Saturday (and riding solo) and struggled on the twisty trails. The trails we ride are fast twisty woodland singletracks and the problem came while cornering where the handlebar did not follow quickly enough the exit of the corners and made it harder to anticipate what was comin. Not much to do with the light here but more me being used to having a helmet mounted light only.

The 3 rides I did so far were ~2hours each and the battery went in the 25% to 50% battery life (Indicated by an orange light on the on/off button) after 1 hour which is a bit faster than expected but the battery is only on the 2nd charging cycle.

Overall, that's a great product - very compact, the bar mount is very sturdy - and more than enough on it's own if the trails you ride are not too twisty. On twisty singletracks, I would add a helmet light (I won't forget mine next time) if you want to ride at similar speed as during daytime.

~ Blacksmith ~

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would have to ride very slowly or risk crashing several times during a ride with only abar light. Keep that helmet light charged up. Even my Lupine Betty on the bar cannot look around sharp or fast corners quickly enough, especially ones that are blocked by tree trunks or boulders.

You simply cannot ride with just a bar light on the trails I ride here in Colorado. It's silly to try so I either use helmet only or both, which I just started using.

Capricious youth...
    So, it's been 5 days since my first and only ride on my Exposure Enduro Maxx, and all I can say is WOW.

I rode a local trail of questionable legality at about 11:00pm until 12:00 midnight. The temperature outside was 40 degrees F. It was amazing. Just to see around blind corners, I teamed this headlight up with an old NiMh Performance EL-20 or something (helmet mount, halogen, external battery). I think it was a 10v or a 12v.

I had no issues seeing anything in front of me at anytime. I'd kill to have one of these on my helmet. My light, while riding behind my buddy with two halogens (helmet and bar mount) completely drowned out his lights.

This light ALMOST takes the fun out of night riding... ALMOST. It's so bright, riding at night will never again be a concern with me. Safety at it's best, either on the road in MaXx mode or flash mode, and safety beyond your dreams on the back trails.

I plan to purchase a cheap ($100) 400 lumen Nite Hawk AL NiMh for my helmet, just for seeing around corners. But other than that, you will never need another light.

I've only used a few other lights, but I've ridden with people who have used Nite Riders, Light-and-Motions, and a ton of other brands. I can't imagine needing more light for any purposes. I kept my light on MaXx mode the entire ride and was so impressed.

It's late, so I'm sorry for the randomness of this post... but I give this light a 9.5 out of 10. My only complaint? I haven't managed to mount this on my helmet yet.

:-)
    Meh.

Capricious youth...
    Last week's night ride was strictly descent with only one short climb lasting about 5 minutes. Tonight's ride will consist of a solid 2 hour and 15 minute loop. I'm going to run the light in MaXx mode the entire time, and we'll see what happens.

-Mike
    Meh.

Capricious youth...
    Another great ride.

For tight, technical single track, I still recommend having a helmet mount light, but otherwise, no biggy. I fashioned myself a custom little helmet light that helps just a tiny bit, but having a solid HeadTrip, or other helmet mount light would probably be best.

-Mike
    Meh.