Five is right out
    Sep 2006

Good 18650 holders?

Is there a source for good quality (i.e. fairly sturdy) 18650 battery holders that can take 4 protected cells preferably in a compact cylindrical configuration?

I have an excellent 4-cell Turboferret holder but unfortunately he no longer sells them.

Everything else I've seen is either are flatpacks that look to be of fairly low build quality (e.g. DX and Batteryspace).

If I can't find anything, I guess I'll just glue/wrap a bunch of loose cells together. However I'd really prefer to be able load loose cells into an existing holder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    if you find one let us know !

I can find loose singles on digikey, could glue 4 together

and dx has the pannovo square 2s2p (I am still waiting on mine)

mtbr member
    I designed these to be able to glue and stack together, makes a pretty small package. There are holes to run your hookup wire from battery to battery. A larger hole to fit Canare Microphone Cable which provides excellent strain relief and strength.

I like to wire my batteries so that the positive end points towards the cable exit. I can load them in the dark and not worry about polarity.

Cable link:Canare Corporation Of America Canare L-4E5C Miniature Star-Quad (0.189in O.D.) Audio Cable Bulk Audio Cable at Markertek.com

Last edited by phburns; 12-06-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added cable link

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

This will hold both protected and non protected. I have tested it with Tenergy 2600mah flat tops and Panasonic 3400mah button tops. It is a really nice holder so long as the 2s2p arrangement works for you. I will be ordering a second to have one for my helmet and one for my handlebar lights.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

This will hold both protected and non protected. I have tested it with Tenergy 2600mah flat tops and Panasonic 3400mah button tops. It is a really nice holder so long as the 2s2p arrangement works for you. I will be ordering a second to have one for my helmet and one for my handlebar lights.
    This was not with the holder Knight has linked so just a general heads up.

My experience with holders that have a spring on one end of the cell and a fixed contact on the other is that a good hit causes one or more of the cells to "bounce" on the spring and lose contact momentarily. Depending on what light one is using, the results of this loss of contact will vary.

I use the Digikey singles that use a leaf spring on each end, similar to the one in phburns post, and have never had them lose contact. They are a very, very tight fit with protected cells though so not really ideal for them. Unprotected cells are perfect in them.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I could see that, but I will say with the holder I linked to, you can tighten the end down to just about fully compress the springs, so I would not imagine it would be a problem. Maybe with some super short non protected cells, but the longer cells will be pretty well off.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

My Rusty Knee
    I just got one of these, seems good with my panasonic and samsung cells, if you want 2s2p 7.4V.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

Hack Racer
    I have the PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case as well.

Excellent case. exactly what I was looking for... well almost... if it was a flat 4 cell config I would like that more as it is better in my jersey pocket.

I have never had it cut off on me as what Vanbike describes. I guess it is possible. But going over the handlebar at speed and landing on my shoulder did not cause the light to cut off. The rest of me was a different story.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would think that w/ 3D printers becoming more common that designs like Turboferret's will show up again....hopefully?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers! View Post
    I have the PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case as well.

Excellent case. exactly what I was looking for... well almost... if it was a flat 4 cell config I would like that more as it is better in my jersey pocket.

I have never had it cut off on me as what Vanbike describes. I guess it is possible. But going over the handlebar at speed and landing on my shoulder did not cause the light to cut off. The rest of me was a different story.
    Great to hear that! I'm thinking I'll order one to try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyone know where to buy the mating connector with cable for the DX Pannovo case?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I took probably the same battery holder you used from DX deals and modded it with 209k-nd battery clips from Digikey. The clips are not ideal but its what i had laying around work and they work pretty well. The stock springs in the battery holder were just too weak and i would end up with really unbalanced cells at the end of the ride. The pouch is for one of the devices we make. Next battery pack will be one of those Pannovo for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good 18650 holders?-20140401_205630.jpg  

Good 18650 holders?-20140401_205807.jpg  

Good 18650 holders?-20140401_205856.jpg