Ghetto tubeless?

Printable View

• 11-26-2012
    BikesBoardsBrews
    Ghetto tubeless?
    Someone suggested I go tubeless and to save money I could convert my tubed rims to tubeless. I have seen a couple of different methods of doing this...one involving duct tape and the other used tephlon tape and a 20" tube that was then cut in half. At any rate...has anyone else done this and if so have you had any issues with it? Which method did you use?
  • 11-26-2012
    marpilli
    What kind of driver do you plan to use? :skep:
  • 11-26-2012
    BikesBoardsBrews
    Sorry I am not familiar with the jargon "driver" but I am guessing you mean valve?

I have a presta in there now but I am not against drilling out to fit a shrader.
  • 11-26-2012
    yetibetty
    BikesBoardsBrews, Your posting on the wrong forum. This one is for DIY light building.
  • 11-26-2012
    adrenalnjunky
    Yep - this i the lights forum.

But to answer your question...there is no definitive answer.

My personal experience: I used stans tape on my non tubeless rims (velocity blunt 29s) and installed stans valves, and used Cafe Latex, with non tubeless WTB Nano-Raptor Race 29x2.25 (I think) tires.

It took a lot of rides for everything to seal up, but I haven't burped yet.

Ghetto tubeless like you described works great for a lot of people - then some people just can't make it work reliably. There's really too many variables at play for there to be one sure-fire answer.

I'd go post in the Wheels & tires forum: Wheels and Tires - Mtbr Forums for more help.
  • 11-26-2012
    gticlay
    LOL. They are just f-ing with you. Duct tape works fine but the Stans is best. I've not had great results with standard tires as they can burp but UST or regular tires with Stans rims kick arse. :D
  • 11-26-2012
    voodoo5
    I followed this tutorial years ago and it worked beautifully:

how to do "ghetto" tubeless part 1

No tape required...
  • 11-27-2012
    BikesBoardsBrews
    Sorry about posting in the wrong section, I just saw "DIY" I guess. Moderators can move it if they want.

I think I am going to wait until I bust a tire before I go tubeless. I honestly do not see a benefit in it. When you put in the sealant is that supposed to expand and fill the tire? I just don't get why you would want to go tubeless and then pop a tire on the trail and have no way to patch it up.
  • 11-27-2012
    wmac
  • 11-27-2012
    BikesBoardsBrews
    Thank you for the link.
  • 11-27-2012
    El34
    I did the Stan's thing years ago with regular rims and regular tires

It worked ok for a while but not that great
    Burping air on the trail, having the Stan's latex goop clog the presta valve, having to carry a tube anyway justin case.

I did have to put a tube in to get home a couple times and what a mess that is.

I would go for real tubless rims and tires if I wanted to do tubeless again but I don't feel the need cause my wheels are light enough as they are.