Slothful dirt hippie

Smile Ghetto-fab 3W LED- CHEAP! EASY!

The post on the cheapie Costco lights inspired us. Unfortunately we'd already left Costco before I remembered, but we just happened to be in Home Depot and we just happened to find a 3W/ 60 lumen Coast LED Lense tactical torch for just under $50. It takes 3 AAA batteries and says it will last 100 hours.... I don't know quite what the beam deterioration will be, still need to email them and see what they say. Anyway, the price was cheap enough that we decided to take it home- worst case, we'd have a good flashlight to stick in the car for emergencies.

We decided the Dinotte mounting system looked good-n-cheap-n-easy enough, especially since we already had some rubber shims kicking around and only needed a rubber O-ring. We picked up a couple 2.25" jobbers at a feed/hardware store (in with all the irrigation pump supplies) for $1.25 each.

The whole flashlight is just under 5" long and has a switch on the back. It's got an O ring in there to keep water out. Nothing protruding to get in the way.....

The mount worked PERFECT.

The last question was beam pattern and brightness, so I drug out my venerable CygoLite NiCad Extra Night-Explorer for comparison. Pardon the fuzziness of the pictures, it was literally gusting 40+mph out there tonight....

Obviously some spread to that beam would be nice, but for $50 each and the claimed run time I could probably figure a way to mount a cluster of the darn things if I was that worried about it. It also may be a decent candidate for a jury-rigged headlamp paired up with a wider beamed bar lamp.

I would have LOVED a light like this when I lived in an urban area... cheap, batteries available at any corner store, bright enough to get around, and when you park at the library at night just slip it and the O-ring off and stick the works in a pocket!
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    With the time change, I decided to order a cheapie as well for security.

Here's what I ordered. I'm just going to Velcro it to my helmet if needed. It will only be a back up but will probably be needed as my Turbocat s47 and 15w trailguide only have 2 hr. run time and I need about 3. Don't really want to get rid of the Turbocats as they are really good, bright and well made.

If anyone has experience w/ this light, chime in otherwise I'll be the guinea pig. If my digital camera will take a good enough beam shot, I'll post them in a new thread.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=008

Not sure the link will work so in short, it's pretty much a small flashlight. 3.5 inches long and runs on 3 AA batteries for 6 hours. It's advertised as 200 lumen Cree. The battery holder is separate. The price was 39.99 plus shipping.

MB

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    L2D CE from Fenix - $56. Smaller and puts out 135 lumens.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...a6f2f03405c367

mtbr member
    lol, I have that same exact light, verslordr. It works great for my job, but I didn't think it was really a viable bike light. I even did the same mounting set up as you did too. The beam is just too small.
    NKAWTG

Crunchatize me Capn'
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    With the time change, I decided to order a cheapie as well for security.

Here's what I ordered. I'm just going to Velcro it to my helmet if needed. It will only be a back up but will probably be needed as my Turbocat s47 and 15w trailguide only have 2 hr. run time and I need about 3. Don't really want to get rid of the Turbocats as they are really good, bright and well made.

If anyone has experience w/ this light, chime in otherwise I'll be the guinea pig. If my digital camera will take a good enough beam shot, I'll post them in a new thread.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=008

Not sure the link will work so in short, it's pretty much a small flashlight. 3.5 inches long and runs on 3 AA batteries for 6 hours. It's advertised as 200 lumen Cree. The battery holder is separate. The price was 39.99 plus shipping.

MB
    Can you post some beam shots and overall impressions when you get it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sure

10-14 day shipping and I ordered it about a week ago so it might be another week or so.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    The post on the cheapie Costco lights inspired us. Unfortunately we'd already left Costco before I remembered, but we just happened to be in Home Depot and we just happened to find a 3W/ 60 lumen Coast LED Lense tactical torch for just under $50. It takes 3 AAA batteries and says it will last 100 hours.... I don't know quite what the beam deterioration will be, still need to email them and see what they say. Anyway, the price was cheap enough that we decided to take it home- worst case, we'd have a good flashlight to stick in the car for emergencies.

We decided the Dinotte mounting system looked good-n-cheap-n-easy enough, especially since we already had some rubber shims kicking around and only needed a rubber O-ring. We picked up a couple 2.25" jobbers at a feed/hardware store (in with all the irrigation pump supplies) for $1.25 each.

The whole flashlight is just under 5" long and has a switch on the back. It's got an O ring in there to keep water out. Nothing protruding to get in the way.....

The mount worked PERFECT.

The last question was beam pattern and brightness, so I drug out my venerable CygoLite NiCad Extra Night-Explorer for comparison. Pardon the fuzziness of the pictures, it was literally gusting 40+mph out there tonight....

Obviously some spread to that beam would be nice, but for $50 each and the claimed run time I could probably figure a way to mount a cluster of the darn things if I was that worried about it. It also may be a decent candidate for a jury-rigged headlamp paired up with a wider beamed bar lamp.

I would have LOVED a light like this when I lived in an urban area... cheap, batteries available at any corner store, bright enough to get around, and when you park at the library at night just slip it and the O-ring off and stick the works in a pocket!
    You can't draw 3 watts from 3 AAA's for 100 hours- unless you recharge them many, many times. The highest capacity AAA NIMH I've ever seen is .8 amp hours- or a draw of .8 amps for one hour. I doubt you'll get an hour at maximum brightness. On the plus side, you can carry a lot of spares because their not expensive.
    To the troll mobile, away...