Double-metric mtb man

Geoman, I need some bright ideas (Edge 305 issue)

Hey Geoman....or anyone else for that matter,

Just wondering if anyone has any bright ideas....my Edge 305 is doing a really good paperweight impression right now.

I went out for a ride this afternoon (18 km of singletrack....no wiping out, no hard landings) and the unit was performing flawlessly. I got home, clicked in a lap marker, shut down the timer, turned it off and then took the unit from my bike and placed it near my computer for download this evening.

Tonight, I plug it in to the USB cable and nothing happens. Ok...I thought maybe gStart had a poor load, so I rebooted my computer....still nada, and no "battery charging in progress" either. I tried to power it on....zilch. Tried the lap+start/stop reset thing...bupkis.

Anyone had this problem in the past and/or any idea about how to resolve it?
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

txn
    mtbr member
    I dunno, but I noticed that there are a lot of defective forerunners and edges at the last few rei garage sales I've been to. I'm under the impression they are not so robust.

mtbr member
    Well hell, mine did this once... I emailed customer service (calling takes hours, at least back then it did), and several days later I was given instructions on how to do a hard reboot or reset of the unit. You have to hold down three buttons for a few seconds... Maybe it was power-mode-reset?

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Double-metric mtb man
    Power + Reset!! Yes, that got it to wake up again!!!! Thanks so much bmadau!!!

GeoMan
    Actually, MODE + RESET/LAP is called a "soft reset" (no loss of data). The POWER + RESET is a "hard reset" and all data is purged.

Sorry for the delay, I just saw this post.

Glad you're back up and running.

FWIW, we've sold between 5 and 6 thousand Edge 305's now. This is the only ongoing problem that seems to crop up every now and then. Frankly, I think it's caused by a charge spike either at the USB port or the A/C charger which causes the Edge to freeze. Fortunately, this is an easy fix.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    It turns out this was a symptom of another problem- my son was chewing on my usb cord- the end that goes into the Edge. We threw away all the chewed cords and now I keep two good ones we have left (same cord our digital cameras and usb hardrives use) closely gaurded and put away... I haven't had a problem since.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Actually, MODE + RESET/LAP is called a "soft reset" (no loss of data). The POWER + RESET is a "hard reset" and all data is purged.

Sorry for the delay, I just saw this post.

Glad you're back up and running.

FWIW, we've sold between 5 and 6 thousand Edge 305's now. This is the only ongoing problem that seems to crop up every now and then. Frankly, I think it's caused by a charge spike either at the USB port or the A/C charger which causes the Edge to freeze. Fortunately, this is an easy fix.
    In this case, I didn't lose the data even though I needed to do a Power+Reset. (Yay!!) It just needed a prodding to wake up again and has been behaving itself ever since.

mtbr member
    I think its a periodic thing. I've had to do that to my Forerunner twice now (purchased in March). But it works really well otherwise...

txn
    mtbr member
    I wonder if this is all that's wrong with the ones at the garage sale then. They could be had fairly cheap; however, it was still a lot of $$ to gamble with.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by txn
    I wonder if this is all that's wrong with the ones at the garage sale then. They could be had fairly cheap; however, it was still a lot of $$ to gamble with.
    Let's face it, you never know what other folks have done with theirs before they returned them... I wouldn't bother taking the chance given the rebate.

We were offered hundreds of Edge refurbs and we declined them for the same reasons... Glad we did too because the refurbs don't qualify for the $75 rebate.

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com