mtbr member
    Dec 2012

General LED conversion question

I'm looking to convert a Lights and Motion Stella 150 to XM-L LED and new battery pack. I'm not familiar with what driver or how to choose a driver for LED, and I suspect there's some general information on how to go about doing this. Can someone advise? and thanks in advance for any input.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So the 150 is a pretty small light and appears to have a metal housing. Heat from running it harder will be an issue.

I prefer the drivers from Taskled and their Lflex would probably be a good option for this conversion. The lflex is configurable for many operating parameters and has built-in thermal sensing. A parallel configured 18650 pack with as many cells as you need for the runtime you want will be perfect. Your runtime will be dependent on how hard you choose to drive the LED. That will depend on how well you can manage the heat from the LED. The XML, if driven at 3A, has to shed ~10W worth of heat. You can get away with about 10sq. in. of surface area to do that as long as you are moving at no less than 5-6 mph and the air temps are pretty cool. 20 sq. in. will keep it cool enough at a walking pace (2mph) in cool air. Figure out how much surface area you have to shed heat and you'll start to get an idea of how hard you can drive the LED.

It is very unlikely that the stock optic or reflector will work with an XML. You should be prepared to do some experimenting there as well. That is usually the hardest thing to get working properly when swapping to a different LED in any light in my experience. Mechanically it may not work and or optically. If if fits mechanically, it still may have weird rings in the beam, a "dead" spot in the center or poor throw. You won't know until you try it.

Good luck, have fun, and post your results.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the response.

mtbr member
    Thats if you can get it open I have one sent to me to upgrade and will have to send it back undone as cannot open it up
    it has a front of metal and a back of plastic and I cannot part the two without damage .

going in from the front is not possible either in the one I have as can get the glass off but the reflector is unmoveable .

so hope you have better luck than I have

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've been able to get mine open. It's a righty loosy; lefty tighty... Turning the metal front part clockwise as I had the light facing me let it come of pretty easily. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Left handed thread! Tricky buggers.

mtbr member
    I think NR tried that trick with their early Minewts from memory

mtbr member
    Ha bastids yes left hander opened up ok
    but on getting it open I decided it was not a good host for an upgrade so sealed it back up and sent it back to its owner .

the thermal path from the led to the case was rubbish for driving an XMl at high power.
    and not good to fit in an Lflex with cooling for that too .