Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
  1. #1
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,179

    Found another DIY light housing method

    I am not sure if this has been posted, i did search quickly

    Copper pipe end stop light

    I think this is the housing I want to try and base mine on.

    I have found similar fittings at RS in the UK

    Isn't it a pretty light!

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  2. #2
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,413
    Here is another using copper tube ends and some rc helicopter motor heatsinks.


    http://www.racedaynutrition.com/Features/bikelight.aspx

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hugh088's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    391
    About 8 months ago I posted pictures of one I built out of copper end caps and a piece of brass strip that you can buy at a hobby shop. I soldered the end caps to the brass strip and screwed it to an old computer handle bar mount I had in my shop. I did not use any heat sinks and it never got more then warm to the touch.
    Someone replied that it was not elegant. Ok, but it put light on the trails cheaply. More then once someone with dead HID battery used it to get home.

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    That looks pretty cool and I'm pretty interested in that myself. What does a setup like that run and how usuable is it on the trails?

  5. #5
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,179
    Yeah the copper method does look nice....copper is a good conductor too. I hadn't seen your guys lights before. I jusr refound this chaps one and thought it looked great....good enough for me to actually go as far as doing the housing instead of modding my cateyes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    That looks pretty cool and I'm pretty interested in that myself. What does a setup like that run and how usuable is it on the trails?
    the one in that thread uses luxeons 3s, its basically a home made cateye triple. This is usable, bright enough to go pretty quick, but its not HID bright. LEDs ahve come on a bit since that lightwas made last year.

    I plan on running seoul P4 LEDs, just like I have modified my cateye to have.

    They are bright and 3 is pretty much HID bright and dimmable too. HID Isn't. 4 would be brighter than the average HID.

    when you say what would this run....I may be wrong, do you want to know whats involved?....I'm english and not familar with that phrase in this context hehehe

    but I'll do a break down of whats involved anyway.

    In terms of cost...I may forget something...please chime in if I have

    you need the housing
    a switch
    LEDs (about 8 dollars each I think)...the latest good ones are the CREE XR-E and Seoul P4
    some reflectors/optics prices vary between a few dollars each to 30 dollars or so.
    a controller...I am using a TASKLED nFlex now which is 28 dollars
    battery yo can get a 2.2Ah 14.4 LiIon for about 40 dollars at battery space...plus the cost of a charger....no more than the battery
    a clamp of some sort (a few dollars)
    and a bag or 2 of effort....whats thats worth is up to you

    Not many of the big light makers are using the latest LEDs

    this setup should run a couple of hours on max brightness (1 amp), and can run all night if you turn the wick down a bit....i estimate that if you set the brightness ot equivelent of a cateye triple it will go all night.

    LED is overtaking HID at the moment....lupine them selves say so, and they supposedly make the daddy of hids. frikin pricey though.

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    500
    Yes, I've always though the copper end cap design was simple and functional. The copper caps are a little on the heavy side, but they dissipate the heat well... and the stuff is easy to solder.

    Actually mtbr forum member garboui posted a single Lux V, copper end cap design back in 2005. He was one of my inspirations for getting started in LED bike lights. I went to the home store to pick up the copper end caps, but when I found them, they just seemed so darn heavy, maybe it was thick gauge copper, I don't know. But then after walking around for a while I found the 1" square aluminum tubing and thought, "maybe I could do something with that."
    Last edited by achesalot; 05-14-2007 at 06:07 PM.

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    Yeah, I'm new to the LED's and was hoping to find something that would be equivalent to the light output from a 15wt halogen incandescent that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

  8. #8
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,179
    Thanks for your comments achesalot. I haven't received my end caps i ordered yet. hopefully they won't be too chucnky hehe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Yeah, I'm new to the LED's and was hoping to find something that would be equivalent to the light output from a 15wt halogen incandescent that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
    3 seoul LED light shoud be brighter than a 15W halogen. LED light is quite cool compared to halogen though, its a white blue compared to the warmer yellowy halogen. Some people don't like this. I haven't mined as its similar to my HID, but I am going to try somthing to see if some red can be added to warm it up and make things with red colour in them stand out more.

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  9. #9
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,179
    Hi

    My copper pipe end caps turned up too. I need to give one to a mate to look at...he is a mechy and has an idea to sort ot the front half of the housings out. I was hoping ti use UCL ultra clear lens glass...but apparenty its a bit fragile

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    41
    Hi Stuart

    Thanks for posting the link. I think that i may build one of these as well. My current light is a triple SSC p4 in a PVC plumbing pipe with the leds mounted to an aluminium plate. The heatsinking is not good enough at 1 amp. I may take the parts from this and put them in the copper pipe design. The only concern is that the 3023 buckpuck doesn't fit into the endplug so i may need to get the 28mm plg for the back end.

    I see that you are planning to use the nflex - how are you planning to enclose it?
    I am waiting for my nflex to arrive so i can pop it into my aschelot square tubing light.

    Cheers
    Roger

  11. #11
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong like Bull
    Hi Stuart

    Thanks for posting the link. I think that i may build one of these as well. My current light is a triple SSC p4 in a PVC plumbing pipe with the leds mounted to an aluminium plate. The heatsinking is not good enough at 1 amp. I may take the parts from this and put them in the copper pipe design. The only concern is that the 3023 buckpuck doesn't fit into the endplug so i may need to get the 28mm plg for the back end.

    I see that you are planning to use the nflex - how are you planning to enclose it?
    I am waiting for my nflex to arrive so i can pop it into my aschelot square tubing light.

    Cheers
    Roger
    Hey Strong

    I am not planning on housing the controller in the light end, but the battery end and running remote switch lead zip tied to the light cable up to the step/bar somewhere for the bar light or over my shoulder and cliipped to my camelback strap for the helmet light.

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  12. #12
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,179
    Hey

    I have had another idea and going to measure up an alternative plumbing light hehe.

    These copper end caps are available for 35mm pipe. Khatod make a triple led optic with a diameter of 35mm.

    I might try with and without heatsinking....as someone posted in achesalot thread recently, rc motor heatinks can be used for 22mm pipe...well the 35mm is catered for too. You can get a 540 motor heatsink quite cheeply.

    http://www.gwsupplies.co.uk/product.info.php?5382

    http://www.khatod.com/pdf/pl600_luxeon.pdf (luxeon version...they have other leds types too)

    example motor heatsinks

    not sure they will have a low enough thermal resiatnce for static at full power....but with forward motion should be adequate to suck the heat out of the the nice conductive copper.

    I have ordered some bits to try.

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    120
    Hi Stu
    Sounds like a good project -i've been looking for a place that sell the Khatod 35mm triple optics (for Cree and Seoul) -but haven't had much luck yet.
    I think they would be a great option if they performed as well as the 50mm triple.

    Cheers
    Dom

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    306
    Stuart B.

    I used a Cigarette Lighter car adapter. Seems to be working fine so far. See thread Double Seoul P4 LED Light Finished

  15. #15
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by poobardog
    Hi Stu
    Sounds like a good project -i've been looking for a place that sell the Khatod 35mm triple optics (for Cree and Seoul) -but haven't had much luck yet.
    I think they would be a great option if they performed as well as the 50mm triple.

    Cheers
    Dom
    Hi Dom

    I have orderes all my khatod stuff direct using kahtods e-store

    http://www.optomarket.com/epages/Opt...UserTemplate/5

    They don't have a Seoul p4 one in 35mm as far as i can see (they do in the larger sizes and single/quads i think) I have ordered cree and luxeon ones to try. I will compare the cree ones with crees to a luxeon one using seouls. sp far i have had good luck with luxeon reflectors unmodded on seouls.

    Quote Originally Posted by p97z
    Stuart B.

    I used a Cigarette Lighter car adapter. Seems to be working fine so far. See thread Double Seoul P4 LED Light Finished
    Excellent, i missed that one first time around. that housing looks like it was made for the job.

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    120
    Stu -that is great news that you can buy direct from there
    I tried a few weeks ago-but couldn't find a way -what's the trick? Do you have to email them?

    Here is their Seoul 35mm triple
    http://tinyurl.com/26yu7k
    -i think it will work great -not so sure of the Cree-as it is very short.But you never know!
    The Cree one is 25deg -should be good for the bars hopefully.
    The Seoul is 10deg -maybe good for a headlamp.

    Will be interesting to see how you fare.

    PS -you linked to a handlebar clamp in another thread (Electron double mount) -excellent find!! Have you actually used one yet? It's the best and most versatile one i've seen yet.

    Cheers
    Dom

  17. #17
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by poobardog
    Stu -that is great news that you can buy direct from there
    I tried a few weeks ago-but couldn't find a way -what's the trick? Do you have to email them?

    Here is their Seoul 35mm triple
    http://tinyurl.com/26yu7k
    -i think it will work great -not so sure of the Cree-as it is very short.But you never know!
    The Cree one is 25deg -should be good for the bars hopefully.
    The Seoul is 10deg -maybe good for a headlamp.

    Will be interesting to see how you fare.

    PS -you linked to a handlebar clamp in another thread (Electron double mount) -excellent find!! Have you actually used one yet? It's the best and most versatile one i've seen yet.

    Cheers
    Dom
    Hey Dom

    Its just an online affair. Create an account, I selected the "user CEE or italy" option I think thats the option you choose for non business sales, you have to give tax numbers and stuff on the others. I payed tax on that option, so that makes sense to me as a non business sale.....not sure if you pay tax outside europe. I think there is a country selection, so maybe not in your case.

    http://www.optomarket.com/epages/Opt...UserTemplate/7


    That seoul one you linked os for the p3 led not the p4 so I wasn't sure. I didn't bother to check the dimension of the p3 verses the p4 though...i should have. I was too lazy to check as I am reasonably confident the luxeon version should work ok, the LED might need lifting slightly.

    I am really hoping these compare to the reflectors I have...for a bar light i like it floody with out too much of a hotspot. helmet needs a spot though. I have ordered one of each angle to try.

    I have kind of used that clamp, I bought it because it is pretty much identical to the one that came with my trail tech hid....well the bottom half is. I love the brcket on my hid.easy to use, secure and doesn't leave a clamp on your bike when not using your lights ( I hate having random clamps left on the bike). Its easy to adjust on the move too...just loosen the knob a touch, rotate on the bar and retighten.

    have you seen a good helmet mount?

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    120
    Thanks for that Stu
    I didn't see the P3 or P4 spec on that optic -sorry about that -i don't know the difference myself -will have to check up.
    If it is anything like their single optic -it would be fantastic -beautiful beam!

    Yes -you should be pretty right with the Luxeon optic -they are fortunately very close to the Seouls.

    The nicest headlamp holder i've seen is the Dinotte -really good up/down adjustment by the looks of it.Though you would have to have a similar shape light to suit it.
    Very hard to get a "fit all" type helmet mount -though i'm going to have a crack at it soon:-)

    Just tried to sign up at the Optomarket -but i need a VAT or fiscal number -even on the one you linked me to.

    Cheers
    Dom

  19. #19
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by poobardog
    Thanks for that Stu
    I didn't see the P3 or P4 spec on that optic -sorry about that -i don't know the difference myself -will have to check up.
    If it is anything like their single optic -it would be fantastic -beautiful beam!

    Yes -you should be pretty right with the Luxeon optic -they are fortunately very close to the Seouls.

    The nicest headlamp holder i've seen is the Dinotte -really good up/down adjustment by the looks of it.Though you would have to have a similar shape light to suit it.
    Very hard to get a "fit all" type helmet mount -though i'm going to have a crack at it soon:-)

    Just tried to sign up at the Optomarket -but i need a VAT or fiscal number -even on the one you linked me to.

    Cheers
    Dom
    I can't remember what i did about the fiscal number...i might have been cheeky and typed 0 or a - hehe. I got my reflectors ok, and my optic order was accepted ok. might be worth mailing them if the 0/- trick doesn't work as they seem happy enough to send me stuff. the fiscal code field in the pdfs they sent for my orders is empty.

    if the optics work out good, it helps solve the problem of firmly mounting reflectors without them stressing/shocking the led dome and front glass.
    I have had a cree dome come off when tesing a reflector using selotape to hold it on hehe.

    keep us informed of how you do the helmet mount

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    120
    Hehe -just tried the secret fiscal code - "0" -worked a treat - thanks much Stu.
    I had been emailing a different supplier for the last week trying to get ahold of some of these.

    I'll do a bit of a writeup on the helmet mount -shouldn't be too fancy -just a job for a fretsaw and drill.Just have to see if i can get some 3mm nylon sheet.

    Cheers
    Dom

  21. #21
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by poobardog
    Hehe -just tried the secret fiscal code - "0" -worked a treat - thanks much Stu.
    I had been emailing a different supplier for the last week trying to get ahold of some of these.

    I'll do a bit of a writeup on the helmet mount -shouldn't be too fancy -just a job for a fretsaw and drill.Just have to see if i can get some 3mm nylon sheet.

    Cheers
    Dom
    Excellent!

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  22. #22
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,179
    my 35mm pipe ends turned up...looks like it should do the job nicerly. just waiting for my optics and heatsinks to turn up now. I will try with and without the heatsink. in moving and still air.

    I have mocked it up in a free cad package. hopefully you will be able to spin the light using the mouse....never seen this feature before. worked for my mate when i sent it tp him over msn.

    http://www.stuart.w.brookes.dsl.pipe...d%20double.pdf

    needs refining. but the idea is there. might shorten the heatsinks. to suit. i will test wi the hestinks under the light aswell....they look a bit dangerous on top hehe.

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,805
    When I try to open the file I get an error message that the file is damaged.

    Tim

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    44
    Same here.

    Tony

  25. #25
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,179
    arse hehe. Works for me. I am using Acrobat Reader 7. I'll take a screen dump image and post a piccy aswell.

    I have java on my machine too...might be that. guess it needs some active type code.


    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •