Back in the saddle

Forerunner experience

In light of some of the posts about the new "high sensitivity" GPS receivers I thought I'd share my experience with my Garmin Forerunner 205. I've just gotten back into riding, and for the last few rides I've worn the Forerunner on my wrist. As you can see by the attached picture, the 205 performed flawlessly in some very densely-wooded trails (Hueston Woods just North of Cincinnati, OH). What really amazed me was what happened once I was home. I went to my study to upload the Forerunner data and when I turned the unit on I got a clean signal within seconds. There is only one window in this room, and it had closed mini-blinds at the time.

I'm not sure why anyone would need a higher sensitivity than this, except for the added features. I have a GPSmap 60cs that I use quite often and even it can't lock on this fast.

I will say that the initial lock-on took a while - maybe 30 seconds. But ever since it's been blazingly fast.

Anyhow, +1 for the Forerunner 205!

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

GeoMan
    Nice observations!

Thanks!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Totally agree. I use mine for running and biking in dense woods and never had a problem. Great bit of kit!

mtbr member
    My FR 205 is coming today and I can't wait to play with it! Which mapping program did you use on the sample you attached? Also, are you happy with how it navigates? I'm getting the FR 2054 mostly to keep from getting lost.

Thanks!
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Back in the saddle
    FYI, my Forerunner 205 is for sale. I bought a 305 to get the heart rate monitor. It's in mint condition, only used about 8 times. I have all manuals, software, box, etc. $125 +$5 to ship anywhere in the US. PM me if interested!!

Jeff

Noob
    I've had my FR 205 for a couple of years now, and for some reason when I plot up the data on both google maps and in my SportTracks program the track I'm seeing isn't accurate. I've played with GPS's enough that I know when/where I should be getting a good signal with minimal interference and whatnot, and over the last couple of months I've noticed it more and more. I don't know if it's a problem with the photo's Google is using around my area (meaning the GPS is accurate), or if it's the GPS or something. Which wouldn't be a bad thing... I'm all for getting an upgrade of some sort Just curious if anyone else has had any problems like that? Cheers.
    MTB Blog

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Back in the saddle
    Try GPSvisualizer.com. All you have to do is upload your file and you can get your track overlaid on several different maps - from Google maps to USGS Aerial photos. If your track is still off, you might need to get your unit repaired. At least with my unit all the tracks are spot on. Good luck!