mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Flex power levels

Does anyone know for sure how the power levels work on Georges flex firmware? I have searched here and through the manuals but can't find a definite answer.

There was talk of the power halving at each level, can this be confirmed.

I.E. Drive current of 3 amps.
    L5 3A
    L4 1.5A ?
    L3 0.75A ?
    L2 0.37A ?
    L1 ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    L1 is always 50mA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I was looking for this before too.

If i remember right he said something along the lines of "decreases in mode will decrease visual brightness in half"

So it will most likely not be half of the current of mode 5 due to changes in led efficiency.

mtbr member
    I know L4 is ~1.75A, but I can't remember the rest. Search for George's driver threads (b2flex, b3flex etc) and scan through them, I'm sure I've read it a couple of times now but it was some time ago!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I asked george a similar question:

"Also do you know what current level L3 is if you have the max set to
    3000mah for the h6flex and Lflex? I am trying to calculate run times
    and can't find that info on your site."

His response:

"L3 would be roughly 1/4 the current of L5. I don't document the specific current values since they are subject to change based on fine tuning."

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878 View Post
    I asked george a similar question:

"Also do you know what current level L3 is if you have the max set to
    3000mah for the h6flex and Lflex? I am trying to calculate run times
    and can't find that info on your site."

His response:

"L3 would be roughly 1/4 the current of L5. I don't document the specific current values since they are subject to change based on fine tuning."
    Exactly. Each current level is APPROXIMATELY 1/2 of the previous higher level. L1 is always the lowest the driver can provide and remain stable (ranges from around 20mA to 50mA depending on the specific Flex hardware).

Given that LEDs change over time and feedback from larger volume customers (100+ piece orders), I continue to refine the current table values. They use to be based on a specific log curve, but have changed over the years to better suit the selected UI and improvements in led output.

With the large number of current tables in each Flex driver (a different table exists for each UI and each current and each Flex driver), there's a lot of them. Also, some drivers use PWM at the lower levels to provide accurate dimming (consider a driver like the h6flex can dim from 6600mA down to 50mA).

The result is a a huge number of current levels that would need to be documented and they could change from one version to another. The current adjustment in the hardware is not totally linear and there is variation from one switcher IC to another even on the same Flex family.

Hopefully you get an appreciation for why it would be rather pointless to document all the possible values and then have to re-measure each one if a change is made.

For the few customers that really need to know, they can measure the levels once they have chosen UI and current table.

I explain in the FAQ at TaskLED Home part of the above reasons I don't document the intermediate current levels for each table etc...

cheers,
    george.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Agreed,

"For the few customers that really need to know, they can measure the levels once they have chosen UI and current table."

That is the best method. Setup a DVM in series with your input and check the values at each level.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks George, answered all my questions perfectly.

Is it possible to set threemode to use L4 and L5 instead of L3 and L5?
    Last edited by Magnum9; 10-05-2012 at 11:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9 View Post
    Thanks George, answered all my questions perfectly.

Is it possible to set threemode to use L4 and L5 instead of L3 and L5?
    Yes it is possible menu three clicks

possible request to the diyers
    maybe if we all do some checks on whatever flex driver you use next and post the amps per level on here it would be a useful resource for us all

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Got it sussed finally, thanks Troutie.