Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

flex driver firmware update

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jspeybro 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,
been quite a while since I've posted here, but have been busy.

Anyhow, after several months of testing by some avid caving folk in France I've released the latest firmware across the board to all my flex drivers (lflex, b3flex, h6flex... etc). The main reason for the delay was to give me time to update all the documentation and by the end of today I'll have updated all the appropriate parts of my website.

Not a massive firmware change, but adds two features, one of which may be appreciated by the biking folk.

The new ui-uni4 firmware release will:

1) add a new option to the low voltage menu that enables the user to select a level to force the output to when the specified low voltage threshold is crossed.

2) add an optional multimode quiet that doesn't flash the LED when trying to click beyond L5 (this is more to remove the bright/irritating flash that can occur in a dark cave and likely isn't too useful for biking lights).

That's it. I'm guessing the ability to force a lower level automatically on low voltage would a useful feature to enable enough light to get home.

All flex drivers shipped from today (20th of Jan) will have the new firmware.

cheers,
george.

See less See more
#3 ·
Just one level at whatever voltage trip point you set it to. Given that L4 is about 1/2 the current of L5 and L3 is about 1/2 the current of L4 - just dropping a couple of levels can dramatically reduce the load on the battery to extend runtime (assuming you were on a higher level when the low voltage trip point occurred).

Providing multiple levels would require a whole lot more voltage settings/configurations that most folk would not want to deal with. It would also complicate the menu system even more.

cheers,
george.

#7 ·
seems like an interesting feature for dive lights. use at high mode untill battery is almost empty, then switch to a lower mode to extend the run time for another half hour or so to finish your dive.
I'll have to figure out if this can be implemented with a twisty system...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.