Professional Boat Guy

First light build

Picked up a set of Light and motion dual logic and a solo. Both in working order but halogens. Looking to the light and motion housing and mounting brackets. I am currently running a Hope Vision One LED Adventure as a helmet mount. At 240 Lumens it does the job, but I am always looking for another project.

Some questions I have are:

1) What are some good sources for parts, LED's, Drivers, etc...

2) Would these plastic housing be a good choice or do I need to look elsewhere?

3) The Solo has uses a 7.2V battery pack and the Dual uses a 10.8V. Can I build a good light and still utilize these batteries and chargers? Or do I need to build a new battery to better support my project?

4) Any special tools needed?

I am new to the LED game and do not have too much knowledge on the drivers and what to buy. Any advice would help.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Taskled.com for drivers

ledsupply.com is where I have gotten led's and some lenses from.

radio shack for connectors and such.

I am in the middle of my first build as well but the above seem competitively priced and the customer support from the first two was outstanding!
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Plastic does not work well for LED housings. You need to conduct the heat from the LED to the air. Aluminum or copper are typically used.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by btalley
    1) What are some good sources for parts, LED's, Drivers, etc...
    Ditto Taskled, fantastic drivers and great guy behind them

2) Would these plastic housing be a good choice or do I need to look elsewhere?
    Plastic = poo. You need metal to dissipate the heat from the LEDs. More heat = less light.

3) The Solo has uses a 7.2V battery pack and the Dual uses a 10.8V. Can I build a good light and still utilize these batteries and chargers? Or do I need to build a new battery to better support my project?
    Those are roughly equivalent to 2S and a 3S Li-ion packs, so wherever you can use 2S or 3S packs, those should work well enough not to need to replace them right now.

4) Any special tools needed?
    You can make a perfectly good light with a hacksaw, a drill, a file and a soldering iron. Obviously more tools = nicer housing or easier process (or both), but you can get by with the above. I'd personally list a Dremel or other rotary tool as being very useful, you can pick one up + a selection of cutting/ grinding wheels for ~$35 from Walmart. It'll also be very useful for lots of other things too

There are lots of build reports on here from simple to awesome, so read as many as you can, rough out a design and component list, then come back for some constructive criticism. Flat out copying someone wouldn't be a bad idea either!

Professional Boat Guy
    Thanks for the help. What are some ideas to start with making a metal housing? any sources on this?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help. What are some ideas to start with making a metal housing? any sources on this?
    there are plenty of places to start - I've posted simple build threads, based on Scar's Amoeba and Achesalot's designs. There are also plenty of others. 30mins looking should throw up plenty of threads.

Dirt Deviant
    For my first bike light I used the hammond box. Citizen Kane style. It really simplifies everything for a first build.
    Here is a link to my build thread.............
    Finished first build CK style BEAMSHOTS ADDED!

and a link to the original thread that CK started......
    Easy DIY

You got lots of reading to do.
    I learned alot by going back a few years in this forum.
    I went back to like 2007, and started reading everything up to current. Took me a few weeks....but learned a little, and came up with ideas for future builds.

I think I started reading about here.........
    http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay....=53&order=desc
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.