mtbr member
    Sep 2010

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-cap-hood.jpg

Not such a long time ago Ö. I didnít know anything about bike lights. But my Sigma Sport Evo and Evo-X lights were just not really bright enough for the bike rides I do and they didnít work long enough anymore from the single battery pack. I made a internet search last summer and found this page. I learned a lot and bought two cheap little direct drive torches from dealextreme.com - what a difference to my old lights! Then I read on and learned some more. Never done any soldering before I started building my own bike light. Because this was only possible because master Troutie and you other craftsmen showed here how it was done, I will present my unworthy light(s) on this page as well.
    Cap:
    reflecting cap, Enclousure Box , h6flex Diver , Aluminum Angle: from local store , LED XM-L T6, Optics , Reflector ,
    switch: free sample from local shop, springs: from a broken cheep bike light, sugru, plastidip , mount: from my sigma sport evo light,
    epoxy (2K-Epoxikitt) , Batteries

The cheap P7 (including the magicshine bike-light) and XM-L torches from china for me have a too distinguished hot spot for a bar light. That hot spot tends to get ďimprintedĒ on my regina after a long ride, especially in wet conditions and snow. That is why intended to build a floody light with no hot spot - and no disturbing cables. The light should also be visible from the side, but not blinding and it should light up the ground next to the front wheel (liberate the light as the master says).

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-caplight-1.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-caplight-2.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-caplight-3.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-caplight-4.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-caplight-5.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-caplight-6.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-caplight-7.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-caplight-8.jpg

Attachment 601415

Thoughts: I thought the boom reflector would give me a bit of long throw, that is why I put it on a separate aluminum angle pointing a bit higher, to light up the area further away than the two LED with optics. But even the Boom SS dosenít concentrate the flood of the XM-L! My light has a huge, even spread of light, right back behind my front wheel! The p7-lights gave me the feeling of riding in a dark tunnel with the brightly lit end in front of me. With my capped light I have the feeling of driving in the light.
    The lowest mode (50 ma !!!) gives a nice, not blinding light, enough to ride uphill and flat gravelroads - that is the mode I use most. I have not decided jet what level I will use on faster downhills and single track downhills - everything above 800 ma is very bright, not much difference between 1600ma and 2800ma any more to the naked eye.
    The light is very heavy when filled with the four 18650 cells (400 g, empty 214 g). I wander how long the little screw in the mount will hold Ö

Little silver riding hood:

This light is only used when driving fast (downhill) in addition to the cap.

Torch-body, Drop-in , Glass lens , Velcro-strap: from local store, Thermal glue,
    Clear epoxy glue ,

I just unscrewed the head from the torch, took the outer spring away from the drop-in and after sandpapering the copper base of the drop-in I could press it in the torch body. I used some thermal glue to make sure it is watertight and the thermal connection might be a bit better too. I glued the lens into the reflector with araldite cristal. The light sits right on top of the helmet, a sticky Velcro bit on the helmet, the counterpart on the torch to keep it moving and a Velcro strap around the helmet and torch to hold it down.
    Thoughts: I would like the little silver riding hood to be more of a thrower - it might get a bigger and deeper hood (Reflector) or a aspheric lens to do that. The light is slightly greenish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Photos Little Silver Riding Hood

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-hood-1.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-hood-2.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-hood-3.jpg

I wonder if you can make a lighter helmet light with a 18650? Under 100 g would be nice - mine is 109 g - go and beat that ....

Dirt Deviant
    Looks like a great first design. You've put alot more work into the design than I care to on my lights.....= )
    Nifty use of the Sugru there.
    I'm building my buddy a road dedicated light, and will do a similar type of hood.
    Any chance of getting some beamshots?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Fantastic work!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    PHP Code:
    I'm building my buddy a road dedicated light, and will do a similar type of hood.
    Any chance of getting some beamshots? 
    The wine-bottle-drip-stop that I used for a cap does not reflect all the light. When I put the light on brightly I can actually see through it - but the light doesen't blind me any more. I tried to get even more light down on the ground an added the optic cut in half on the top two XM-L that you can see on the first picture. I can't use my light on high when on a oad - it is really blinding. If you want't to use it on the road the hood would have to bee much longer.

I can't change the exposure time on my digital camera (or does anybody know how to do that on a canon ixus 65). I can put it on iso 200 any try a shot on "firework","night" or "day" and see what happens...

Ola
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Looks like a great first design. You've put alot more work into the design than I care to on my lights.....= )
    Nifty use of the Sugru there.
    I'm building my buddy a road dedicated light, and will do a similar type of hood.
    Any chance of getting some beamshots?
    I made a road light a few weeks ago. Main thing is to put the LED's as close to the hood as possible, meaning LEDs should be placed inline, the closer to the roof the better. My hood is about 60mm long, helps alot for road use but I still have to point it slightly down. If I place my light lower down, above the front wheel, I probably can aim my light straight down the road.Some quick pics. Dimpled metal sheet on inside of hood is to spread light instead of getting mirror reflected hotspot.

Crappy beamshot is compared to my 6xpe (new road light 3xpg), guess you can figure out which is which...

(sorry for stealing thread).

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-b.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-c.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-d.jpg

First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-e.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    sorry for stealing thread
    No problem Ola! Your light looks very professional! Did you use a bought enclosure or is it self made? What mount did you use?

Ola
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks

Use this mount for most of my lights. Bolt it directly to the light body so I don't use slide on interface. Thanks to quick release it's a 10 second operation to put it on the bar. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=29410

Enclosure was cheapest possible 60*20mm I could find, ended up with cutting off a bubble level costing about £2.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by mrradlos
    I wonder if you can make a lighter helmet light with a 18650? Under 100 g would be nice - mine is 109 g - go and beat that ....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by P220C

P220C You did it !!!
    Do you have that on the helmet in the rain? - Might end up with curly hair!
    You really buld something small - must be a tiny switch and driver you are using.

But I see a new project coming up ... 79 g to beat

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It still lacks heat shrinking on the battery, and some sillycone on the wire and 6mm switch, but after that it will be watertight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Beamshots

OK, here the beamshots:
    Bottles at 10m, 20m, 40m
    Signpost at 30 m
    safety cone 50m, 75 m
    reflecting safety vest 100m

cap at 50 mA (reflecting spot of safety vest)
    First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-cap-50ma-beamshot.jpg

cap at 3000mA
    First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-cap-3000ma-beamshot.jpg

spiderfire p7 high
    First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-spiderfire-p7-direct-driven.jpg

The light realy spreads out nicely on the side of the bike. I don't have the feeling of riding in a black tunnel with the light in front of me - I'm riding in the light now. The eye adapts much better to this light, you don't see the bright hot spot like with the p7 light. The too brightly lit up area at 3000mA can hardly be seen in the woods - I was surprised to see it on the photo!
    I use the 50mA mode to ride up, the cap lights the path up about 25 Meters in front of you (and 5 Meters around you). The photo seems to dark.

More photos in the "sticky" beamshot thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Build: Cap and Little silver riding hood-cap-800ma-beamshot.jpg  

Last edited by mrradlos; 04-01-2011 at 08:10 AM.