Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Matt

The optic is 10048 Plain Tight 26.5 Carlco Lens from LEDSupply 10048 Plain Tight Carclo Lens - LED Supply.com
    It is a 7 degree. I also purchased a Frosted Wide at 34 degrees but it is very wide, there is also an 11 and 21 degree optics.

Since this is going to be my bar light because of the size?????, (I haven't weighed it yet) I may pick up the 11 and 21 just to try. I didn't photo the wide angle optic but it was getting late, so after the rain subsides I will give it another try.

As far as the tint goes, I don't think it had the tint just said Cool-White Cree XM-L T6???

Thank you,

Don
    09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Don,

The beam shots look pretty impressive - I assume that they are a reasonable representation of what you see with the naked eye?

I have a couple of questions (probably dumb ones) in regards to the physical construction of the housing.

How did you make the rear end cap? Did you cut a piece of flat Aluminium, attach it to the back of the housing, and then machine it to the same profile?

Also in regards to the front cap/lens holder - is the internal diameter of this piece slightly less than the ID of the main housing (so that it holds the lens in place)? Could you please provide a heads-up on how you made it.

Apologies for the dumb questions - my background is in electronics and I am not up to scratch on the mechanical side of things.

Cheers,

Gags

mtbr member
    Gags

The beam shots are a realistic representation of how bright the light is, I was impressed with what an XM-L at 3 amps can do.

When I machined the outside diameter of the housing, I made it longer than the light body was going to be so I could use the extra material to make the front and rear. I made the front cover (bezel) first then the rear.

The inside diameter of the front cover is smaller, enough to hold the optic itself in, the inside diameter is .980" but the bore of the light body in the front is 1.140" (the size of the outside diameter of the optic holder). So there was my piece of aluminum stock that was the same outside diameter as the body, then I bored it to the .980" to hold the optic, next step was to machine the inside and outside bevels purely for asthetics. After that I cut the front bezel off of the stock with a cutt-off bit. Once it was cut off, I drilled the holes in the front bezel, then drilled and taped the holes in the body (3mm button head stainless steel allens).

The rear cover was out of the same aluminum stock since there was still enough that was the same outside diameter. I drilled a 3/8" hole in it, beveled it and cut it off- just like the front. Essentially it is an aluminum washer

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the actual process of the front and rear machining, sometimes I get a little too focused and don't think of it....that and I don't always have a set plan, just start making it and hope it turns out good

No dumb questions, everyone here is really helpfull- it's great

Don

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the explanation - makes sense now.

Out of interest, would there be any advantage to be had in drilling the holes for the front cover prior to using the cut-off bit to remove it? Just thought that this would guarantee that the holes would line up and would mean that you only had to mark the holes once??

Looks like I am going to have to sweet talk a mate of mine who has a lathe and a milling machine into making a housing for me!!

Thanks again,

Gags

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beecrazy View Post
    Matt

The optic is 10048 Plain Tight 26.5 Carlco Lens from LEDSupply 10048 Plain Tight Carclo Lens - LED Supply.com
    It is a 7 degree. I also purchased a Frosted Wide at 34 degrees but it is very wide, there is also an 11 and 21 degree optics.

Since this is going to be my bar light because of the size?????, (I haven't weighed it yet) I may pick up the 11 and 21 just to try. I didn't photo the wide angle optic but it was getting late, so after the rain subsides I will give it another try.

As far as the tint goes, I don't think it had the tint just said Cool-White Cree XM-L T6???

Thank you,

Don
    Awesome, thanks Don. Those are now top of my list for the next bar light, probably a tight and a narrow to get flood and punch. The larger size will also help make the housing large enough for cooling purposes too Post up beamshots of the 11deg as and when you can!

Cool white just refers to a colour temperature range. Cree calls Cool White anything from 5000K and above, although they're typically ~6500K. Most of the Neutral Whites people use on here are 5000K and higher CRI (better colour contrast) - still white, just a little warmer. Tint refers to where the LED sits within that colour range, so 6500K cool white could be 1A to 1D, depending on if they're slightly pinker or slightly greener. Hopefully somebody (Vanc? Brad?) will dig up their v. useful Cree CCT chart

mtbr member
    Gags,

Drilling the holes first would definately work, good idea. I drilled the cover holes to a small size, held it on the body and drilled one hole into the body. Drilled and taped that hole, enlarged the hole on the cover and screwed it on. Drilled the other two holes, drill and taped and then it was complete.

Matt,

Thank you for the colour/tint description, that makes sense.

I will post a pic of the 11 degree once I order one, gotta take it easy on purchases, the wife is getting bothered by all these little purchases while trying to pay for all of the excess Christmas spending!

Don

mtbr member
    I found that the battery holder fits perfectly in 2 inch PVC, so I put a couple of endcaps on it (I machined them down more then what is shown in the photo cuz it weighed a ton!)

This will then go in the waterbottle holder. I was going to just put the battery pack in a water bottle but what fun would that be
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I weighed "Tank" and it came out to 112 grams, good thing this is a bar light.

Now smaller is getting easier to build, I may have to build a lighter version of this one for fun!
    First Attempt (XM-L)-2013-02-10_17-50-01_724.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by beecrazy View Post
    Now smaller is getting easier to build, I may have to build a lighter version of this one for fun!
    Yes, you're progressing nicely on the path to full fledged light building addiction. Lighter, smaller, brighter, there is always a new goal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2