No talent hack
    Nov 2010

Finishing up my first build....

I posted this in the wrong forum by accident (and I don't know how I clicked over there):

So she ain't pretty.... she ain't machined... and she won't turn any heads, but I don't care. Thanks to those that have answered my newbie questions in this forum, I can't say that enough. I have learned a lot and will continue to learn since this won't be the last build (I already have another build planned for a bar mount dual light). This is going to replace my Cygolite Expilion 700USB on my helmet... after riding 2-3 hours, the weight on my head is annoying. The cygolite got me started in night riding, so that is where this started.

Here it is all soldered and with the epoxy on the back of the board to protect it:

And the first test before I close it all up:

A dead simply Hammond box drilled out for the lens with Lexan held in by silicone. Once I get the lens sorted (I have a few to try to get the right effect), I will close up the box with silicone and hit it with a coat of paint to clean the look up a little.

And the box closed up now:

Like I said, I know she isn't pretty, but we all have to start some where.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Hammond box is a classic DIY build. Way to go.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    She looks fine to me. Function over form and as Vanc said the Hammond box is a real classic. Plus you get the satisfaction of a job well done

No talent hack
    Nov 2010

Got my batteries today and they are on the charger. Once I verfiy this is the final lens to use, I will waterproof the box and hit it with a coat of black paint to blend it in some. So much lighter than my Cygolite 700... it will make night riding more fun.

I am already thinking up the "next" light and how to make it more sleek since I don't have a lathe to make a cool little round thing.... planning is fun too.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ah, the beauty about night riding is that it's in the dark and no one can see if your light is "pretty" or not. All that matters is the beam it puts out and the satisfaction of knowing you built that light while all the others paid someone else to do it.
    Venturing into the night with a light you made is similar in satisfaction to riding on a bike you built. Understanding either from the inside out is a satisfaction shockingly few riders will ever know.
    Nice work on your first build!

mtbr member
    looks really neat to me, nice job!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I like it
    It has the steam punk theme going for it.
    Some of my creations aren't 'fashion' they're functional and that's what makes them work.
    Well done. All designs evolve as we create them.
    Thinking out the box (no pun intended) is what creates innovation and new ideas.

plus there is the cool feeling of "I made that!"
    Being a rider of a hand built bike and light. I tip my hat to you sir

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I am really proud of my little light. She is about 20 grams lighter than my other light which means she is heavy since the other has the battery in it, but 20 grams is a magic number, this doesn't give me the squished head feeling.

I did finally get to take her out for the first night ride last week... man... I actually light the beam from this better than my Cygolight. The Cygolite probably throws further, but it has a VERY spotty beam that tends to blind me if I pass a tree with the light facing it (imagine looking at the tree as you pass). The Carlco optic gives a good distance light but has more of a flood effect on the trail. Throws plenty far for the trails I ride (trail usually turns well before the light ends), but there is no longer a spot light effect. One ride with it and I am completely hooked... I just need some more time to plan this current light a bit more....
    Fat guys need bikes too.