mtbr member
    Aug 2007

FENIX Turbo damage?

The fenix manufacturer's site states fenix flashlights do not overdrive their LED's, but the brightguy.com site (fenix dealer) states they should not be left on Turbo over 10 minutes or they may overheat. Can anyone clear this up for me?

mtbr member
    Overdriving has nothing to do with heat dissipation. If the heat sink design isn't adequate you can overheat them without overdriving. In this example (and I have no idea if brightguy is right or wrong, but assuming he's right) then in normal mode the light can get rid of excess heat, but in turbo mode it can't and begins to overheat enough to cause damage after 10 minutes. Keep in mind that if the factory heat sink is connected to the outer case (so that the case becomes part of the heat sink, or if the heat sink is external [I don't remember ever seeing a Fenix flashlight]) then you could probably run it for longer than 10 minutes on a bike because of the moving air. How much longer? You tell us
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Thanks,

I thought it was something like that. I do not know if the statement is true since I do not have the flashlight, I am just researching getting one for helmet use.

mtbr member
    And most flashlights aren't used for extended periods- most people use them for a few minutes at most, then turn them off, so it must be tempting to manufacturers to skimp on heat sinks- just something to consider.
    To the troll mobile, away...