mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Fenix owners - A question -

I am thinking of getting a 2xAA battery fenix as a helmet light. When rechargeable batteries get low does the fenix warn you, or just get dim? Can it over discharge (damage) the batteries or will it turn off first?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

no

I've tried the LD2 as a helmet light. Makes a very tight and bright spot with good throw. Not what I was looking for. I wanted more light with far more spread. But you might like it. The included "holster" works as a decent mount. Just take a small piece of velcro and tightly strap it to your helmet. Stays pretty snug.

I read the product description on the box and there is no mention of a low batttery indicator.

If you get the light invest in a set of NiMH batteries. They perform a lot better than the alkaline.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by denmikseb
    I am thinking of getting a 2xAA battery fenix as a helmet light. When rechargeable batteries get low does the fenix warn you, or just get dim? Can it over discharge (damage) the batteries or will it turn off first?
    I have about six different Fenix lights. The LED will start to flash on low battery. It will not damage the batteries, in my experience, but I would not leave it on for a long time unattended. I have both NiMH AAA and AA lights as well as CR123A lights and use primarily rechargeables.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Which Fenix light has a decent sized beam? I have a small LED flashlight that I use for emergencies, but the beam is way too tight to be useful.
    NKAWTG

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Finski
    Which Fenix light has a decent sized beam? I have a small LED flashlight that I use for emergencies, but the beam is way too tight to be useful.
    I don't know about fenix beams, but now I am looking at Amazon.com at mini-Maglites. For $25+ it is a 2XAA with 3 "watt" Luxeon and focusable beam. I don't know if the focusable beam would suit your needs, or how bright the light is, but for a little over 25 bucks and shipping I might give it a try. I don't really need all the extras of the fenix, and the price. I am just wondering about the heat dissipation of the maglite since it is basically just an old design with module added, but that may not be a factor with that LED. Also, a few days ago I saw a Coast 3XAAA with focusable beam on-line and I have seen a beam comparison on youtube. I think I searched LED flashlight or something like that on youtube.
    Last edited by denmikseb; 11-26-2007 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have two each of the 2xAA and the 3xAA Maglite versions. Both produce good quality beams but the 3xAA is a better flashlight - especially if you use rechargeables. I think they employ the same LED but the 3xAA gives noticeably more light. There is a very good review of the Maglite LED flashlights on Candlepower if you care to search. If I remember correctly Maglite did a poor job dealing with the heat dissipation problem. Both lights demonstrate beam degradation rather quickly. However, the 3xAA for me is a decent light for the money and I carry one in ithe car and use them when camping.

The Fenix LD2 is far superior and well worth the money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sorry, this thread is starting to sound like it belongs on CandlePowerForums. I will be looking for more info on that forum. If I find something that might be more suitable as a helmet light I will mention it on this thread.

trail rat
    Sorry, this thread is starting to sound like it belongs on CandlePowerForums. I will be looking for more info on that forum. If I find something that might be more suitable as a helmet light I will mention it on this thread.
    What is wrong with that? This is about lights used on mountain bikes?!?

Sure seems appropriate to me, and in the correct forum about lights........

There is mega cross pollination between CPF and MTBR, and it is all good.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    What is wrong with that? This is about lights used on mountain bikes?!?

Sure seems appropriate to me, and in the correct forum about lights........

There is mega cross pollination between CPF and MTBR, and it is all good.
    Just didn't want to keep dragging it out until I had some definite info to ad. I will ask about beam width on that forum and see what they say.

trail rat
    Just didn't want to keep dragging it out until I had some definite info to ad. I will ask about beam width on that forum and see what they say.
    You do not have to ask. There are enough reviews and beam shots of every Fenix and every mod to them you can conceive, and a few thousand you cannot.

That is light geek central, I spend too much time (and money) there as well.

It is just that most of them do not relate to MTB use of the lights.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    You do not have to ask. There are enough reviews and beam shots of every Fenix and every mod to them you can conceive, and a few thousand you cannot.

That is light geek central, I spend too much time (and money) there as well.

It is just that most of them do not relate to MTB use of the lights.
    Yeah, and it looks to me like the central spots are all too tight for MTB helmet lights, for my needs. I would really like to see a good flashlight with a much wider spot or a spot that more gradually faded into spill. I know brightness would have to be sacrificed, but I still think it would be more usable on the trails. I will probably end up having to spend more than I wanted, on a cycling specific light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I never thought I would pick this for a helmet light, but after much research I am now seriously considering the Princeton Tec Corona as a helmet light. I found it has a wide beam (on Princeton Tec website) and a decent but not long throw. A long throw won't do me good because of the tall vegetation I ride through. Takes 8 AA batteries (GREAT) and has long run times. I can't say for sure I will pick this one, but it looks good, and less than $50 at Bright Guy. Does anyone out there use it and care to comment?
    Last edited by denmikseb; 11-28-2007 at 12:52 AM.

trail rat
    I never thought I would pick this for a helmet light, but after much research I am now seriously considering the Princeton Tec Corona as a helmet light. I found it has a wide beam (on Princeton Tec website) and a decent but not long throw. A long throw won't do me good because of the tall vegetation I ride through. Takes 8 AA batteries (GREAT) and has long run times. I can't say for sure I will pick this one, but it looks good, and less than $50 at Bright Guy. Does anyone out there use it and care to comment?
    It looks like a good choice. Headlights can be so personal a choice. This is one of the more versatile lights out there.

I have considered getting one in the headlight configuration as a backup, around home, and hiking/camping light (link) since my bike lights and flashlights don't work as a non-helmet headlamp.

Search it on CPF Forums and you will likely find many comments about it.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm still checking it out. Someone said the beam is blue. I don't think I want it if blue. Going to check CPF now. ADDED EDIT: In spite of getting good reviews on MTBR, this light seems to have poor regulating circuitry and quite a bluish beam, per the backpackinglight.com review, and some Candle Power Forum comments. I will look elsewhere.
    Last edited by denmikseb; 11-29-2007 at 12:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have absolutely tons of 1.2V 2500mah rechargeable AA's laying around the house. Any idea of these will work in the P2D deluxe Q5? I know it asks for 1.5v batteries, but will the 1.2v still drive it with just a slight output loss?
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    I have absolutely tons of 1.2V 2500mah rechargeable AA's laying around the house. Any idea of these will work in the P2D deluxe Q5? I know it asks for 1.5v batteries, but will the 1.2v still drive it with just a slight output loss?
    I replied to the first post on this question. Careful with that shotgun.
    CCCMB web - Facebook