mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Fenix L2D-Q5 vs NiteHawk Phoenix Dual

So I finally got my Fenix L2D-Q5 from here:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...94946ebc2f625f

I popped in some akaline batteries I had (new) and compared them against my Nite Hawk halogens. They are both spots, I have a 10Watt and a 20Watt... The distance to the wall is same for both lights btw.

The pictures are here:

This is the 10watt vs the CREE 7090 Q5 (180 lumens)

This is the 20watt vs the Q5

This is the 20watt vs the Q5 but closer together

As you can see, the brightness in the spot is about similar to the 20Watt halogens, the 20Watt does have a slightly bigger immediate beam, but the Fenix has a smoother and bigger overall beam pattern.

I'm really happy with the Fenix L2D-Q5... cheaper, lighter, smaller and better than my halogens... prob. not as good as some dedicated LED bike lights or HIDs, but my nitehawks on the bars and the Fenix on the helmet should be more than enough light for me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I might be looking at getting a fenix for a helmet light. Today I received my Topeak 3h light set. It worked for about 30 minutes, then the bulb went out. I put the battery back on the charger, but it shows a full charge. The light now comes on for about 30 seconds, then goes out. I must put in a plug for Amazon.com's customer service. I called them an hour ago about this and a new light is on the way, one day delivery. I don't have to send the old one back until I get a packing slip in the mail. If the second light is bad, they will credit my account and I will get the Fenix, a charger and some batteries. I should have done that in the first place. Let me ask, where did you get the helmet mount?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    the new LED technology is freaking ausome. I just bought a Fenix P3D Q5 has 6 modes, low, med, high, turbo, sos, strobe. Rated 215 lumens on turbo. It so freaking bright its insane. Two of these bad boys on your bike at $62 each is a bargin!

I need to get some pics and made a thread with some results as soon As i get my second one.

P.A.G.A.N.
    Is that the bike/helmet mount that Fenix sells for $6.99? Or something made for minimags?
    Have you gotten a chance to ride off road with it mush yet? How is the beam pattern? Does it stay in place well?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    www.fenix-store.com carries the twofish mounts... that's what I got. Seems to be pretty secure.

Rode with the light mounted but it was bright enough that I didn't need to turn the light on.

Will probably see next week.

fear this
    Although the real nightriding season hasn't started for us yet on the North Shore, I use a Nitehawk Phoenix Dual (just the 10W lamp, though... for longevity) on the bars and mount a Light & Motion Solo Logic on my helmet. It works really well.
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie, some goodies to lighten 'er up

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Those LEDs are awesome for the money. I just got a Fenix L2D CE Q5 and its the best BFYB light out there.. Comparable to 10Watt HID's.. Only problem is it only last for 1.5-2hours.. What would be perfect would be a custom battery hooked up which allows for more burn time..

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have absolutely tons of 1.2V 2500mah rechargeable AA's laying around the house. Any idea of these will work in the P2D deluxe Q5? I know it asks for 1.5v batteries, but will the 1.2v still drive it with just a slight output loss?
    Stop....Heckler time.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    I have absolutely tons of 1.2V 2500mah rechargeable AA's laying around the house. Any idea of these will work in the P2D deluxe Q5? I know it asks for 1.5v batteries, but will the 1.2v still drive it with just a slight output loss?
    I use them in my L2D-ce (not Q5) but they are Cree. Works just fine, and the output is slightly less, but still bright. I use it as my "get home safely" in the evening light when I have done afternoon rides where I am out later than expected, and I do not want to carry a full on light and battery pack.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The 1.2v nimh AA's are ausome. I picked up a L2D and it is just as bright as the P3D. Both have Q5's. The bigger the capacity the better. The 2500mah handle the load way better then the smaller capacity AA's. With this the voltage doesn't drop under the load as much. The AA's start out at 1.35-1.38v anyway. I use some 2650's

mtbr member
    I couldn't help but notice that on the Fenix Store web site that the T-1 light is touted to provide 225 lumens and is $76.00. A little more $ than the 180lms, L2D cree Q-5 light but it might be money well spent. The T-1 doesn't have the run time of the L2D but it is brighter. If it was me I would probably buy the T-1 with the smooth reflector for helmet use. Fenix claims these lights ( T-1 ) can throw 200 meters! Of course I'd have to see that to believe it. Hell if it could throw 100M I'd be impressed. ( Note: I picked up a cheep Chinese made Cree powered Mini-torch a while back ( uses one rcr123 type battery ) that claimed to be 170lm. Yes it is bright but the ground throw is more near 100ft....not 100m )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    I couldn't help but notice that on the Fenix Store web site that the T-1 light is touted to provide 225 lumens and is $76.00. A little more $ than the 180lms, L2D cree Q-5 light but it might be money well spent. The T-1 doesn't have the run time of the L2D but it is brighter. If it was me I would probably buy the T-1 with the smooth reflector for helmet use. Fenix claims these lights ( T-1 ) can throw 200 meters! Of course I'd have to see that to believe it. Hell if it could throw 100M I'd be impressed. ( Note: I picked up a cheep Chinese made Cree powered Mini-torch a while back ( uses one rcr123 type battery ) that claimed to be 170lm. Yes it is bright but the ground throw is more near 100ft....not 100m )
    Personally, I wouldn't get a light that runs on CR123 batteries. I prefer AA.
    NKAWTG

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I defiantly agree the CR123A are costly and troublesome comparison.

The CR123A rechargables are only around 800mAh and can not handle the current draw as well as the primary 1300-1500mah lithium CR123A's. That will equal a hotter battery and only half the runtime. Also you will need a special charger for the rechargeables. The rechargeables are not as tolerant on abuse, and you can damage them by draining them too low if they don't have a protection circuit in them.

I have found the primary lithium's for around a buck a piece but its still costly in the long run plus you have to dispose of them.

THe good thing about the AA's is they can handle a huge amp draw, recharge in a common charger, safe, and worst comes to worse you can always throw a couple Alkalines in yout light in a pinch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a couple of Fenix L2D Q5, love them. I considered the Fenix that takes the CR123, but like the fact that you can purchase AA batteries anywhere. I use the nihm rechargables. Cheaper for the long run. I dont have personal experience with this, but read on other forums that the Fenix CR123 lights/batteries are a tight fit unless you purchase the batteries that Fenix sells.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    You can buy a spare body from L2D, and use your P2D head with it. Heads and tailcaps from L1D, L2D and P2D are similar and interchangable. P3D has different driver and can't be used with AA batteries.

trail rat
    If you want the definitive flashlight information, including all battery types and chargers, CandlePower Forums will get you hooked. They even have a bike light forum with lights from the mundane to the ingenious, many home built.

I have about five Fenix lights that use AAA, AA, and CR123A and RCR123 batteries. They serve many duties at home and work, plus bike lighting for town use, road commutes, and early morning mtb rides just before dawn, or late evening mtb rides that will bring me back into town after dark. Having one kind of light is like having one kind of bike - works for some, not for others. Telling someone what kind of light or battery they should have is the same, works for some, not for others,

My favorite is a little P2D-ce that I use RCR123 batteries. Yes, it has about one hour of light per battery, but I can carry two extra batteries, and the whole thing is only 3.9 oz / 111 grams. Three hours of light at the weight is amazing, I think!
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Been running 2 x UltraFire C2's head mounted off the Dealextreme site with the CR123's from there real cheap, but run time 45mins each ( 1 is rideable, both for speed so not too bad ) $20 area a pop, 150lumen rated, but outta the 26 CR123a's I bought, only 14 remain every ride another 1 or 2, 6months gives up and creates hassle mid ride

Just ordered a C3 hopefully 150lumen rated running on AA's for longer run times, Cree Q5 $20.90 from them to, and already got loads of AA's which i use in my Hope 1 Vision.

DO NOT touch the hope 1 vision the $20 Torches kick it's ass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    If you want the definitive flashlight information, including all battery types and chargers, CandlePower Forums will get you hooked. They even have a bike light forum with lights from the mundane to the ingenious, many home built.
    See this post in particular for bike light vs flashlight.

edit: pointed to wrong thread
    Last edited by znomit; 04-22-2008 at 11:36 PM.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    See this post in particular for bike light vs flashlight.
    Yuppers. Been following your upside down beer bottle.

I hang out (lurker extraordinaire) way too much on CPF.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I used my Fenix L2D Q5 for the first time on last night's bike ride and was very impressed. I used to have a Niterider dual light, and have been currently using a 9.6 V HID light. Sure, the HID light is brighter, but the Fenix beam is very even and as good to ride with on the road. Considering the Fenix costs and weighs about 1/8 as much, what a bargain. The light pattern seemed as good or better than a Dinotte li-ion light on another bike that was on the ride.