mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Failure in "new" Geoman Battery

I got the bigger battery pack (6Ah) battery upgrade when Geoman did the recall. The battery worked fine for the first few months but then it stopped working all of a sudden. I plugged it in to the charger (which showed a green light) to see if it needed a reset. No difference. I eventually popped the solvent welded case open to inspect the batteries. All 4 batteries show close to full charge, and the wiring was ok with no breaks between the board and the light connector. It looks like something on the PCB is busted. Any suggestions for a replacement board for this battery? I believe this one has temperature monitoring in addition to the usual low voltage and over current protection. I would like to re-use the battery case and batteries so the replacement board must fit on top of the 4 cells. I would appreciate if someone can assist me with this.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    I have one which I took off a Xeccon 4 cell pack if you want it? Should be pretty straightforward to solder it up, especially if you leave the long metal tabs from the old one attached to the battery pack. Just PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post (if you're in the US at least )

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Can you describe how you popped the solvent welded case open? I have three of these packs that need to have the control board changed but have no idea how to open the pack. Any pictures of the inside? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just laid the case on it's side an a solid surface (carpeted concrete floor) and lightly tapped the seam with a hammer and worked my way around. Opened up very nicely. I would be very careful banging on the case too hard. The thickness of the seam is quite thin so it did not take much force at all. What's wrong with your boards? Do you have a source for replacement boards? I'll see if I can take some photos of it tonight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The battery cuts out after 20 minutes. If you're on the trail, you're out of luck. The only way to get your light working again is to reset it by plugging it in to the charger for about a minute.

Won't work on lights that draw more than X watts. I don't know exactly what X is, but when I tried 30 watt, 28 watt and 16.5 watt light sets and they all cut off after 20 minutes. I was really surprised that the 16.5 watt set had the same problem. Based on LED Runtime Calculator the battery should run for approximately 1.7 hours on high.

The only way I can get the battery to run to capacity, is to run the lights at a little less than half power, about 8 watts.

There are 4 Panasonic 18650 cells in the pack, so the batteries themselves aren't the problem. I believe the control board was specifically designed for a lower draw light set and has safety mechanisms built in that won't allow the use of more powerful lights.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I forgot to answer your question regarding a source for control boards. Batteryspace.com is one source. Battery Management system

All-battery.com is another source. All-Battery.com - Rechargeable batteries & Chargers - PCB/PCM/BMS for Li-ion and Li-Polymer Battery Packs

I don't know a lot about the control boards (PCB / PCM), maybe someone else has experience in choosing a control board for battery packs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you're going to get a protection board from Batteryspace, then I recommend getting one with a balancing function. These cheap MS batteries tend to get unbalanced due to the cells having very different self-discharge rates. The end result is that over time the pack becomes useless because the pack becomes badly unbalanced.