Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Extremely bright homemade light

Deleted
    Last edited by kubo; 09-07-2010 at 04:51 PM.

banned
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

$10 more bucks and is arguably the best light that you can buy for the $$.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

$10 more bucks and is arguably the best light that you can buy for the $$.
    I saw those but couldn't see anything in the peripheral area. With a dual setup, or even a 3 light setup like REI suggested... youll be running pretty high.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    I saw those but couldn't see anything in the peripheral area. With a dual setup, or even a 3 light setup like REI suggested... youll be running pretty high.
    You saw them as in you tested one on your bike? Myself and a few others use them for night shuttles on SOMO and they are wide enough for everything but maybe the fireroad.

Mike-e
    Helmet mounted light... light is where you look

R.I.P. Pedo Bear

As Cress mentioned have you really tried them out? I have a pair and ridden with folks who also has a pair and it's damn bright. Running one on the handlebar and one on the helmet is F'n bright. Plus do you know how bright 900 lumens are? They do have a very narrow beam of light but you can get the lens that puts out the wide beam of light and that answers your question of peripheral lighting.

mtbr member
    I give you a thumbs up for giving it a shot and making something work. That being said, don't crash because you're going to have a tough ride home in the dark if you do!

How much further ???
    Clever setup. You are a better man than me because I wouldnt have the patience to sit there and put that together. Looks a bit bulky to me and I also wonder what happens when your batteries run out. Are you going to have to solder in another C battery bank?

I also noticed the package says each light is 48 lumens. So with 4 lights in your setup you are running at only 192 lumens. I bought the magicshine 2300 lumen lightset for only a little over $200 shipped and they come with rechargable Li-Ion batteries. The magicshine 1400 light has 2 floods for good peripheral light. Not that MS is the best but I have found the set to very well performing for the $$.

Regardless who cares what you use as long as it works. Nice DIY project.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    Clever setup. You are a better man than me because I wouldnt have the patience to sit there and put that together. Looks a bit bulky to me and I also wonder what happens when your batteries run out. Are you going to have to solder in another C battery bank?

I also noticed the package says each light is 48 lumens. So with 4 lights in your setup you are running at only 192 lumens. I bought the magicshine 2300 lumen lightset for only a little over $200 shipped and they come with rechargable Li-Ion batteries. The magicshine 1400 light has 2 floods for good peripheral light. Not that MS is the best but I have found the set to very well performing for the $$.

Regardless who cares what you use as long as it works. Nice DIY project.
    I have a battery pack that I can switch out the batteries.

If you count the lumens then I guess you should count the 45 lumen single LEDs that are hard wired on... Not to mention the reflective material so each side is a multiple so thats 400 lumens x4.... ??

Lumens are units that the eye perceives... so theres not really a controlled measurement to that. It will depend on where you're riding, the distance, the light color, what the light is shining on, etc... So if someone is claiming a Lumen count, throw that out of the widow.

I am sure there are other great produts out there.... Im not claiming this one to be better. It just worked for me

I found some rechargable C batteries for 8 bucks... they work great and last longer than 1.5 hours

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koa Poi-dog
    As Cress mentioned have you really tried them out? I have a pair and ridden with folks who also has a pair and it's damn bright. Running one on the handlebar and one on the helmet is F'n bright. Plus do you know how bright 900 lumens are? They do have a very narrow beam of light but you can get the lens that puts out the wide beam of light and that answers your question of peripheral lighting.
    Again you are running at 250+. For with a DIY project you can get the same thing for 75...

banned
    Again you are running at 250+. For with a DIY project you can get the same thing for 75...
    I know math is not everyone's cup of tea...

"I bought the magicshine 2300 lumen lightset for only a little over $200 shipped and they come with rechargable Li-Ion batteries."

"For with a DIY project you can get the same thing"

"So with 4 lights in your setup you are running at only 192 lumens."

You are not getting nearly the same thing as you are about 708 lumens below the "rated" output and you still spent $75 on parts. Plus, you get a cool sticker with a geomangear order... I don't see your sticker

mtbr member
    Sweet... I can outrun light, I really do pedal that fast!

I think you know what I meant... the throw on that light will not be focused enough to ride off road at speed, you will not be able to see far enough ahead when moving fast to prepare for stuff coming up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Sweet... I can outrun light, I really do pedal that fast!

I think you know what I meant... the throw on that light will not be focused enough to ride off road at speed, you will not be able to see far enough ahead when moving fast to prepare for stuff coming up.
    Ok. It works great, tried it out last weekend

mtbr member
    I don't think you are going to out run light...

But thats the point is to be spread out... So there are less shadows. Screws me up in the trees

How do you suppose you build a 2000 lumen helmet and bar light for 75.... or even buy 2 magic shines for 75??
    Sorry... you can not buy 2 magicshines for that... I did not mean that...

Check out the DIY light forum for info on building lights. There are a bunch of cool ones that people have made, and some really simple cheap ones you can build. I have been running my home brews for a couple of years now and they work great... it is fun to come up behind someone at a race with the "whatever the greatest $700 light" is at the time, and they have to pull over because their shadow is so dark they have a hard time riding...

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    I know math is not everyone's cup of tea...

"I bought the magicshine 2300 lumen lightset for only a little over $200 shipped and they come with rechargable Li-Ion batteries."

"For with a DIY project you can get the same thing"

"So with 4 lights in your setup you are running at only 192 lumens."

You are not getting nearly the same thing as you are about 708 lumens below the "rated" output and you still spent $75 on parts. Plus, you get a cool sticker with a geomangear order... I don't see your sticker
    My so called "rated" lumens to this setup is (192 + 180) x 4 = 1488 of a "flood light" type of light.

I'm not selling anything, just sharing knowledge man.

And tell me how long run time those batteries last on those MS again? How do you charge it? Can you run to the store and replace the batteries?

Are the batteries replaceable? Because we all know how long rechargable batteries last. How much is it to replace those?

banned
    My so called "rated" lumens to this setup is (192 + 180) x 4 = 1488 of a "flood light" type of light.

I'm not selling anything, just sharing knowledge man.

And tell me how long run time those batteries last on those MS again? How do you charge it? Can you run to the store and replace the batteries?

Are the batteries replaceable? Because we all know how long rechargable batteries last. How much is it to replace those?
    I'm talking about stickers man... where are the stickers?

Your math is wrong again though... you get 48 lumens when using the flood light mode on each light... so 48+48+48+48= 192.

The MS batteries are typical lithium batteries that you can buy at radio shack. Some people mod their MS battery packs for extended ride time... however, it runs for like 20 hours or something stupid on the lowest (still bright enough) setting. To charge, you plug that sucker in the wall like any other lithium battery.

No one is knocking your MacGruber skills, but you shortchanged yourself by trying to reinvent bike lights with that kit. Go to the home brew light forum, those guys really know what is going down...

mtbr member
    I'm talking about stickers man... where are the stickers?
    haha Ill have to work on a sticker for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    yeah, and that 192 lumens is really unfocused and spread out... probably outrun the light on faster sections - even 4 of those would not work well for any real off road riding. Also, 8 bucks for batteries on each ride - that adds up fast

For $75 and about the same effort, you could build a helmet and bar mounted light that would be about 2000 lumens - I have all the parts I will sell you, I have enough lights!!

Or, just buy a couple of the magicshines (the 900 puts out about 500 lumens, the 1400 about 800 lumens), a couple filters, and you are good to go with no effort
    8 bucks for rechargable batteries does not equal $8 for batteries each ride

mtbr member
    Version 2.0 helmet mount.

Nice hack, BTW. Just don't be starting any forest fires with that thing.

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Version 2.0 helmet mount.

Nice hack, BTW. Just don't be starting any forest fires with that thing.
    Amen to that
    Pumpin & Pimpin

....just cruisin through
    ...no helmet mount required, and you can add a second unit

Name:  original_maglite_18_1_420x297_eng_carlos.jpg.jpeg
Views: 1504
Size:  14.5 KB
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

Meatbomb
    can we get a better picture of that thing mounted on your bars.... it looks HUGE in the last pic above.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    can we get a better picture of that thing mounted on your bars.... it looks HUGE in the last pic above.

A beam shot would be cool too . Thanks . Nice hack by the way .

workin' it Administrator
    the e-experts are out in force today.

I appreciate the hack and the effort. I wonder if they were placed in a general rectangle what the spread would be like. Necessity is the mother of invention!
    Try this: HTFU

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast