mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Exposure Lights Choice

I'm looking to get a front light for night riding. I've narrowed it down to either an Exposure Joystick maxx, Race maxx or Enduro maxx for simplicity (no wires)

At the moment I'm leaning towards the race as it falls inbetween for price and performance. Has anyone run a joystick on it's own on the handlebars and found it bright enough. I only want to go with one handle bar light. Is the enduro worth getting for the extra brightness over the race (longer charge times for enduro).
    It's quite a big outlay so I want to get the right one.
    Thanks for any thoughts.

mtbr member
    If need a light for real nightrideing, you need about 400 lumens output - from one source or about 300 lumens from 2 sources (handlebar & helmet).

So the Race maxx should be OK.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Joystick will not be enough unless you're used to extracting light from the moon with Night-Vision retinas.

I say go for the EnduroMaxx since it is slightly less bright and wide than the Wilma, if I remember right. If you're using one light, don't compromise. The Race Maxx will just about do but the Enduro will give you more width and distance. You will be able to go a bit faster DH and still have some safety margin by being able to see far enough ahead and with enough peripheral vision.

I prefer two lights but with only one, I want as much light as I can get without it being reflective off the ground.