Thread: Exposure lights

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

Exposure lights

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm especially curious about light quality at the 16 hour burn rate of the enduro model. Super lightweight and no cables/external batteries. Nice.

http://www.exposurelights.com/exposure_spec.htm

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I have no personal experience with the Exposure, but there are plenty of threads about them here on MTBR, as well as other MTB related sites on the net.

In short from what I have read and heard they're not a bad light, although they do suffer a little be being a little too narrow in their beam width, which a lot of LED lights suffer from too. Some of the very first models did suffer from a little bit flickering, but this was fixed very quickly.

Their 06 product has gone some way to improve the beam width issue by using two different optics for each LED. I'm yet to see beam shots or hear anyone who can confirm if this has made a positive change.

As for light output, I’m led to believe that they are using two 5 watt LED’s, but they’re not run to the full five watts. They are bright and do the job, but there are many other manufacturers with much brighter LED solutions, although runtime is sacrificed.

Personally I’d rather not have the battery pack incorporated into the light. Fair enough with the exposure it’s a great idea due to the long runtime, but I’d still rather have a light that I can just swap the battery pack over and keep on riding with, rather then having to take the whole light off the bike and charge the battery pack back up as a full unit.

Some 06 product photos:
    Yes!! Interbike Lighting

I would also have a serious look at some of the other LED lighting solutions available before making a decision, as there are some great high output LED lights out there:

- Nightlightning Endurenz
    - Lupine Wilma
    - DiNotte
    - Cateye Double Shot and Triple Shot
    - Solid Lights

Cheers, Dave.

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

Great response Dave

Thanks a ton.

Dave

Grip it and rip it.

It is a nice light.

I tried it out in a 80 mile night time enduro recently. I have a set of light and motion arcs that i could compare it to. I used i it in the highest setting mostly, i would say the beam is`nt as white as the light and motion anyway. Also it was`nt as wide and crisp st the sides. I would say the arc is more powerfull. It was strong enough for fast descending on terrain i did`nt know but it was`nt overly technical. It did`nt have any hajor bright areas like the light and motion which was nice. Switching to the lower setting was quite nice for the climbs.
    OH ye, when i got the battery changed at the half way point the light started to completely black out on descents without warning, loose connection somewhere most likely luckely it was sorted out kindly by the guys i hired them off. Never happens on the arcs anyway.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Sorry folks, I have a small correction..... It’s come to my attention that the Race and Enduro models are actually available with an extra battery??

I didn't realise you could swap and change the batteries in these lights.

I've done a bit of searching and reading on the Exposure’s over the last day though, and it's surprised me how many unhappy owners there are out there... there seem to be a few issues with long term reliability.

My suspicion of low light output compared to other LED lights available seems to have been confirmed, yet there are others comparing them to HID lights. (I’m very sceptical).

Overall it isn’t a bad light, but there are better LED based lights out there.

Cheers, Dave.

Needed Less ~ Did More

Interesting reading here....

Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Sorry folks, I have a small correction..... It’s come to my attention that the Race and Enduro models are actually available with an extra battery??

I didn't realise you could swap and change the batteries in these lights.

I've done a bit of searching and reading on the Exposure’s over the last day though, and it's surprised me how many unhappy owners there are out there... there seem to be a few issues with long term reliability.

My suspicion of low light output compared to other LED lights available seems to have been confirmed, yet there are others comparing them to HID lights. (I’m very sceptical).

Overall it isn’t a bad light, but there are better LED based lights out there.

Cheers, Dave.
    Having home-made a set of lights with 2x 5w Luxeons I was suprised that USE/Exposure got the runtime they did out of their lights and had no problems with heat build up.

Looks like they are not runing them at anywhere near full power to get the run time and stop them melting! My LEDs were each mounted on a 2"x2" 16mm pin grid array heat sinks in an alu body and they still got hot unless I kept moving!

Info on the USE and SolidLights here for my money (if I had any the 1303 from SolidLights is the nicest I have seen yet in terms of function!)

To be fair mine was heavy and ugly, driven by some D cells but it lasted all night and 1 LED was OK for the climbs and 2 were great for the tricky bits!

I am now using a NiteHawk Digital Emmiter as my helmet mount and a cheap Halogen on the bars

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Yeah thermal management is very important for lumen maintenance. Heatsink design plays a very important role.

I dug up an old post from the bike current email group which discusses the exposures regulator design. For those who are interested:

http://lists.topica.com/lists/bikecu...t=d&start=8774

Unlike a lot of common regulator designs where a “boost” (creates an output voltage higher then the input from the battery) or “buck” (where the output voltage is lower then the input voltage) circuit is used, it seems that the Exposure uses a PWM (pulse width modulation) technique to pulse the current to the LED.

The advantage of this is that where a buck regulator will stop working when the input voltage falls below the expect output voltage, the PWM regulator will keep doing it’s thing. It’s a little crude in its design, but creates a light which is a little more efficient, and seems to work.

The downside is that instead of being like other LED lights where they maintain their brightness right until the battery dies, the Exposure will slowly dim until it turns off.

The other downside is that the LED’s actually get driven beyond specification when the battery is fully charged, and then under driven (I’m guessing for better efficiency) once the battery starts to discharge.

I hope that explains their long runtime a little better.

This also confirms my thoughts on their comments regarding light output. Claiming 32W of “perceived” halogen brightness is BS when their light puts out 6.6 at the most.

For comparison, my own personal light uses three 3-watt Luxeons driven a little harder for a total output of close to 12 watts. (I can put up with a shorter LED lifespan for a little extra light.)

I haven't had the chance to compare it to a HID yet, but have had a direct comparison with a 12 volt 20 watt halogen, over-volted to 13.2 volts.

My light is only just brighter, but because of the awesome colour temperature (very white with no blue tinge like HID’s) it’s able to highlight the detail on the trail a lot better which gives the perception of a brighter light.

An LED light that puts out 12 watts which compares to a 20 watt halogen is a little more believable then a 6.6 watt LED light that can supposedly match a 32 watt halogen don’t you think!!

Dave.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Yeah thermal management is very important for lumen maintenance. Heatsink design plays a very important role.

I dug up an old post from the bike current email group which discusses the exposures regulator design. For those who are interested:

http://lists.topica.com/lists/bikecu...t=d&start=8774

Unlike a lot of common regulator designs where a “boost” (creates an output voltage higher then the input from the battery) or “buck” (where the output voltage is lower then the input voltage) circuit is used, it seems that the Exposure uses a PWM (pulse width modulation) technique to pulse the current to the LED.

The advantage of this is that where a buck regulator will stop working when the input voltage falls below the expect output voltage, the PWM regulator will keep doing it’s thing. It’s a little crude in its design, but creates a light which is a little more efficient, and seems to work.

The downside is that instead of being like other LED lights where they maintain their brightness right until the battery dies, the Exposure will slowly dim until it turns off.

The other downside is that the LED’s actually get driven beyond specification when the battery is fully charged, and then under driven (I’m guessing for better efficiency) once the battery starts to discharge.

I hope that explains their long runtime a little better.

This also confirms my thoughts on their comments regarding light output. Claiming 32W of “perceived” halogen brightness is BS when their light puts out 6.6 at the most.

For comparison, my own personal light uses three 3-watt Luxeons driven a little harder for a total output of close to 12 watts. (I can put up with a shorter LED lifespan for a little extra light.)

I haven't had the chance to compare it to a HID yet, but have had a direct comparison with a 12 volt 20 watt halogen, over-volted to 13.2 volts.

My light is only just brighter, but because of the awesome colour temperature (very white with no blue tinge like HID’s) it’s able to highlight the detail on the trail a lot better which gives the perception of a brighter light.

An LED light that puts out 12 watts which compares to a 20 watt halogen is a little more believable then a 6.6 watt LED light that can supposedly match a 32 watt halogen don’t you think!!

Dave.

That's the new "TURBO" Exposure light which runs at or near the maximum 10W for the 2 5W LEDS, hence it's significantly brighter than the previous model and put out as much light as 3×3W Luuxeons.

Hence the claims of HID type brightness, as per everyone elses 3×3W setups that run at 1000mA. Be careful not to confuse these with the adequate but not as bright setups that are running at 700mA such as the endurenz lights.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robdeanhove
    That's the new "TURBO" Exposure light which runs at or near the maximum 10W for the 2 5W LEDS, hence it's significantly brighter than the previous model and put out as much light as 3×3W Luuxeons.

Hence the claims of HID type brightness, as per everyone elses 3×3W setups that run at 1000mA. Be careful not to confuse these with the adequate but not as bright setups that are running at 700mA such as the endurenz lights.

Despite only running at 700mA, the Endurenz providesmore light than the Exposure. It's brightness compares with my Lupine Edison running at low beam, not as wide but certianly as bright.
    Beam throw is also significantly more than the Exposure at around 25-30m while my Edison has a throw of about 50m.

Newer model of the Endurenz are running higher drive current since they are utilising the newer Luxeon LED's

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Hence the claims of HID type brightness, as per everyone else’s 3×3W setups that run at 1000mA. Be careful not to confuse these with the adequate but not as bright setups that are running at 700mA such as the Endurenz lights.

Are you sure of the 700Ma drive current??

I could be wrong, but it has always been my understanding that Eric was running the Endurenz at around 900Ma (give or take) or so at the Luxeons.

Either way, my personal Endurenz (running my own controller) is running about 1100Ma or so through some reasonable Bin Luxeons, and while it is brighter then the standard Endurenz which I've recently compared it too, it's not terribly more so.

Along with my own light, I can quite honestly say the normal Endurenz (not the “Blast” which I haven’t seen yet, and I understand is just a different driver, not new Luxeons) is still the Halogen kicking, HID comparing light that many people have described them as.

In fact it’s not until the drive current falls below 600Ma or so that I start seeing a drastic difference in light output.

That's the new "TURBO" Exposure light which runs at or near the maximum 10W for the 2 5W LEDS, hence it's significantly brighter than the previous model and put out as much light as 3×3W Luxeons.

I hadn’t heard about the new “TURBO” light until now. The Exposure website has been claiming a perceived 32 watts of “halogen brightness” since they first started selling their lights, which were only the under driven 6 watt units at that stage.

Although the new light may be brighter and closer to the ballpark for a decent lighting system, I still stand by my original comment that the standard Exposure lights are too narrow in their beam width, and IMO only just bright enough for serious use.

Cheers, Dave.
    Last edited by Low_Rider; 12-28-2005 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling